Best trailer for 4 with a Bathroom? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16' "Snufkin"
California
Best trailer for 4 with a Bathroom?

Hello everyone,

Having missed this season largely because our beloved bunk-bed Casita does not have a bathroom I am prepared to look into getting another trailer for the next season. Obvious choices are another Casita with a bath, or a Scamp layout 4, but I thought maybe there are other, less common, but possibly more attractive alternatives? Could be an elusive, 2 year only Bigfoot edition? Something new that just came to the market recently, so it's not really on a radar?

The goal is to keep it as compact as possible but have enough sleeping space for 4 (bunk beds are ideal in my mind) and a bathroom. Extra points for a well insulated trailer as we plan to spend a fair share of time in Sierras.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Escape 17B is available with a front bunk option. It can also be had with dual pane windows and extra insulation in the walls and under the floor. It's still not a true 4-season trailer, but it's pretty good without getting too heavy.

"Best" is pretty subjective. If you've been following the "Scamp vs. Escape" thread you will see some of the opinions on both sides.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have an Escape trailer with the added wall insulation, thermo windows , tank heating pads and the underfloor spray insulation
I would not consider it a true 4 season trailer for our climate in Northern Wisconsin but in florida , texas or California it probably could suffice for year round use .
Four people in any 17 ft trailer is going to be a tight fit no matter what IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Not for everyone, but this would give you 3 spots @ 6ft long and one spot at 4 ft long (toddler size). Bathroom in this one is in the front.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ium-92368.html
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

California
Escape 17B is a good choice, and I like what I am hearing about Escapes, but a Double bed! One of our favorite features in our Casita is our King size bed (kinda amazing actually), so there is no way we would go to a Double (although I realize that realistically we'll have to consider Queen, because I think our particular Casita is the only trailer w a King bed).

Does anyone know if Bigfoot offers a bunk bed option in their 17' trailer? Or if Escape has another model with a bunk AND a larger bed

Steve, I hear you, but we spend as little time as possible inside, so as long as we can physically fit 4 sleeping people - we're good!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

California
I probably should clarify that 2 out of 4 are small children
Old 09-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

California
Yes, it's a great discussion and "best" is in the eye of the beholder. I am just starting to play with some ideas. I wish I could trade our "kitchen" space for a small bathroom - then I'd have an ideal trailer (minus insulation)
Old 09-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Parkliner has a queen bed and (optional) bunks for two adults. But they're no longer made, and the bunk option is rare. Toilet is a macerating unit with combined black/gray tank.

Lil Snoozy has a queen bed and a jackknife sofa that would fit two kids side-by-side (or better, head-to-toe). Toilet is a cassette.

The Escape 19 has a rear queen and a front 4-person dinette than can easily fit two kids side-by-side.

All of the above are transverse beds with crawl-over.

Bigfoots in that size class have small-than-double beds.

You may have to look beyond molded fiberglass to get everything you want. Or keep your Casita and live with a port-a-potty. Sounds like you have a Liberty Standard.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #9

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I have to agree with Jon, it does sound like you have a Liberty Standard.

I have an Independence that shares that same ability to have a king sized bed as the Liberty, and that is a luxury I love. It is very difficult to find a king bed in a trailer, or even motorhomes.

Your idea of trading some kitchen space for a small bathroom is likely doable. I wonder if anyone has done that type of modification?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No problem.
Attached Thumbnails
steaks - 1.jpg  
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
NY Strip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No problem.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... I'd steak my reputation on being the one to pull the short straw and have to sleep in the bathroom!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Best trailer for 4 with a Bathroom?

Steak is one thing I’d never cook inside my trailer anyway! We do all our cooking outside, so I understand the OP’s thought to sacrifice the galley for a bathroom.

The pro in my mind is it allows you to keep a trailer and layout you already have and like. There’s really nothing like that huge Liberty bed.

The drawbacks are many. Ripping out the galley will leave some holes in the shell to patch. A bath will have a larger footprint than the galley, further reducing the already limited floor space in that layout. A simple toilet enclosure wouldn’t be too complicated, but if you’re after a full wet bath, it will be a significant project and will not look nearly as well integrated as a factory bath with custom fiberglass shower molds that fit perfectly. You’ll have pipes underneath the trailer to figure out. Resale value will take a big hit.

No easy answers here. You got spoiled by that big bed... LOL!
Old 09-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Would you consider an outside shower/toilet enclosure?
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
PortaPotti inside and outdoor shower? If you’re like us, you will really miss the king.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #15

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
We loved our Escape 19, with optional bunk. Queen sized bed, and dinette converts to double with an option to put removable a bunk above. Is sound like you are young enough to climb over each other in the "master" bed, but we had to trade up to a 21 because there were too many late night bathroom visits.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #16

California
Haha, we definitely got spoiled by the King bed. It makes going to hotels/motels that much harder, too, because you don't expect a downgrade
I did check out Escape 19 and it looks good, but I didn't see that you have a bunk option. I guess I was just hoping to tap into collective knowledge of used models outside of two mainstream options (Scamp and Casita), so I can monitor the market for a few months before the next season arrives.

The project of converting kitchen into bathroom is definitely way more than I would undertake, I guess I am just surprised that manufacturers don't have the option of picking bath over kitchen and vice versa. We have not used our kitchen even one time, for example.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #17

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
You may have to ask Escape for the bunk option. It involves supports/hooks above the dinette, where a removable bunk may be hooked in. We purchased our 19' back in 2015 with the supports in place, when it was on the options list. I doubt they have removed it, and you may have to call them to verify it is still an option.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
You may have to ask Escape for the bunk option. It involves supports/hooks above the dinette, where a removable bunk may be hooked in. We purchased our 19' back in 2015 with the supports in place, when it was on the options list. I doubt they have removed it, and you may have to call them to verify it is still an option.
Thank you. I know Casita 17' does not have an "official" bunk bed option either, but they'd put it in if you asked. If I were ready to get a new trailer, I would contact all manufacturers on my list to make sure I am fully aware of all the possibilities. However, I am not sure I'd like to commit to such an expense at this point, hence trying to collect info about older models that may work.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Would you consider an outside shower/toilet enclosure?
Dave and Paula
I am aware of outside shower, but not a toilet. I suppose porta potti can be taken outside
Is there a specific equipment that you know of?
Old 09-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #20

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Bigfoot built a 21' model with twin bunks in the rear in the early 2000s and a 19' with same in the 80s. But...good luck tracking one down!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote