Best trailer for 6'4 guy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Best trailer for 6'4 guy

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to be in the market for a fiberglass trailer soon. I've looked at all the regulars...casita, scamp, lilsnoozy parkliner (although hear they're going out of business next month).
A couple questions, on the website scamp lists it's headroom inside as 6'3, while Casita is 6'1. Does anyone know if this is accurate? In my case, 2 inches would make a lot of difference.
The other question is about the dinette bed. Has anyone near my height slept in the dinette bed, going the width of the trailer? I would love to get that model, instead of a casita independence or something, but if it's not fit for a tall person I'm left without options.
The other question concerns parkliner. Does anyone have one out there? They have a listed height of 6'5, plus seem to be wider. The only problems is they seem super expensive, and according to their seller are stopping manufacturing in May.
Any help with these would be super, super appreciated. Thanks and so nice to meet y'all.
cyrmorneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
I'm 6'3" and can stand up in, and sleep comfortably across, my 17' Bigfoot.
Just another one for you to consider.

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrmorneault View Post
A couple questions, on the website scamp lists it's headroom inside as 6'3, while Casita is 6'1. Does anyone know if this is accurate? In my case, 2 inches would make a lot of difference.....
There seems to be some variation from trailer to trailer (even same make and model) but if it is in fact 6' 3" then I would guess that is from floor to the fiberglass, so subtract the thickness of the insulation and rat fur.

I have a 16 Std and at the max is it six feet, maybe 6' 1" but that is only in a very narrow area. Some areas of the roof are less than 6' and the air distribution box for the A/C, on the ceiling, is a few inches thick, so that area in the middle of the roof is well under 6 feet. I am six feet tall and brush my hair against the ceiling rat fur but at least I can stand up straight, except that I hit my head on the A/C about once a day (and say "ouch").

Best bet is to go see some in person.

The bigger issue IMHO is bed size.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Most FG campers have curved roof/ceiling, so if you can stand up at all, that may only be in the center.
You can either pay $20k more for a bigger one, or 97 cents for a pool noodle to split and slip over the door frame.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I feel your pain, cyrmorneault!! At 6'5", my options are limited if I want head clearance and long enough bed. I've been researching for 3 years. Among the lesser expensive fiberglass models, there's Lil Snoozy and Eggcamper are about it - neither last very long when placed for sale on here, and even used ones are still fetching close to $20K. More expensive besides ones mentioned include Oliver.
I've heard all the arguments about resale value, but I'm not in position to pay big bucks for a small camper. I do like the fiberglass trailers for durability. I have about resigned to the fact that I will eventually buy something like an older Scamp or Casita type that I have to stoop over in, and hopefully find one in the $6-8K range. A small apartment on wheels would be nice, like an Oliver, but realistically all I really need is a dry bed, as I would spend all my time around camp sitting outside.
Good Luck, and everyone says don't trust the interior height listed on specs!!
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Egg camper advertises an interior hight of 6'7"
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
Trailer Headroom

I started out about 6’4 in my early years, but at 67 am now about 6’3. At least I’m shorter than my 6’4” son. While it is border line I can stand up in the center isle of my Escape 19 except under the A/C unit and have plenty of room in the queen bed. I just don’t think about it. I haven’t actually tried the dinette conversion, but I’m guessing the length is similar to the queen since the trailer is same width front and rear.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Parkliner going out of business?

I am 6' so I too have this issue. Scamp shower/bath height is even less I think. If Parkliner is going out of business then I guess it is good that I did not get one! They should have continued production of the original one. It had a lower tongue weight too.
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I am 6' and I can stand up in the 16' scamp everywhere accept for the a/c. At 6'4" you will be rubbing your head everywhere. I can lay in the bed fine, but any more and your feet will hit. I do at times sleep in the side dinette bunk and find that to be very comfortable, plenty of length. However it is narrow, but i am lanky and thin. so it works for me. Good Luck. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #10

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Escape
California
Have you looked at a fifth wheel? The Escape 5.0 TA has an interior height that goes from 6'4" to 7'. I have seen the inside of this model and it has lots of head room including in the bath. Scamp also has a 5th wheel but I have not seen in inside of one. It would be worth looking into.
jbdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I'm 6'4" and we checked out many FB trailers when shopping. We bought a used Lil Snoozy, and I can stand erect in the aft third of the unit. Fortunately, that is where the entry door, galley and head are all located. As I tend to sit on the couch, and am forbidden to stand on the bed, the short headroom in the forward two thirds present few issues.
However, there was an unexpected problem. The bed is exactly the same width as my height. Since I sleep on my side with a bit of a curl, I thought this would be no problem. Discovered that, at various times at night, I do stretch out fully on my back. As this put my head and feet uncomfortably hard against the wall surface, we had to improvise.
My wife modified a mattress that now fits on the jackknife couch in its down position. The mattress surface is the same level as the bed, so I sleep with my body on the added mattress, with my head and shoulders on the stock bed. No lack of head or foot room. We end up at a 90 degree angle to each other when sleeping, but it works for us. My wife also appreciates not having to climb over me at night.
Each morning, I put the bed clothes in a bag, slide my mattress onto the bed, and raise the couch.
Regarding the other models, the Escape 21 and Oliver both had loads of headroom.
Have fun, and remember that improvising is an art form!
elk_rapidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #12

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Oliver Elite 2 advertises 6'6" interior height.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #13

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
One thing to keep in mind, how much of the time are you actually standing while inside your camper? We go in, we sit or lay down, unless you are a gourmet chef and stand for extended periods of time. I am 6' 2" and I think about it but find that it isn't really much concern.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #14

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Id look at Escape's especially the 5.0TA, or the EggCamper (I think there are two for sale currently on this forum which is rare), or possibly the Bigfoot or Snoozy. I personally think standing straight is a must, but its just my oppinion. At 6'6" we bought a Casita, but sold it for reasons of not fitting. Went to EggCamper and all is well!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The little 13' Trailswest Campsters and the Compact trailers are possible options for you. What you can do is add a couple of extra inches to the fabric of the popup area. On the Campster you won't have to change the support structure, not sure about needing to modify the support on the Compact. But recently a woman who has a video blog about tiny house living bought a Compact, as her boyfriend is the same height as you they made some modifications to the popup to make it easy for him. These two trailers are both affordable options with a bonus of saving gas money while traveling with their lower profiles.
Here is a link to the video on the Compact trailer that was modified for the 6'4" friend, modification show just after 6 minutes into the film.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Handy having the Porta Potti under the cooktop. You can stir your scrambled eggs and have your constitutional at the same time.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Response to Flaco . The Parkliner site makes no mention of going out or business just says the 2017 production is sold out and that the 2018 model will be released come fall. So all actually appears well at Parkliner ! Hard to imagine a fiberglass trailer manufacturer going out of business as hot as the market is at this time. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrmorneault View Post
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to be in the market for a fiberglass trailer soon. I've looked at all the regulars...casita, scamp, lilsnoozy parkliner (although hear they're going out of business next month).
A couple questions, on the website scamp lists it's headroom inside as 6'3, while Casita is 6'1. Does anyone know if this is accurate? In my case, 2 inches would make a lot of difference.
The other question is about the dinette bed. Has anyone near my height slept in the dinette bed, going the width of the trailer? I would love to get that model, instead of a casita independence or something, but if it's not fit for a tall person I'm left without options.
The other question concerns parkliner. Does anyone have one out there? They have a listed height of 6'5, plus seem to be wider. The only problems is they seem super expensive, and according to their seller are stopping manufacturing in May.
Any help with these would be super, super appreciated. Thanks and so nice to meet y'all.
This is what I wrote in an earlier post:

My 2014 ParkLiner measures at almost 78" in front of the door. There's a light basically where you'd stand up from the bed; there it's 75 inches plus. Nothing else comes down from the ceiling.
The bed is 82" in the side-to-side dimension. Probably should have measured the door, now that I think of it.

(For mine, and I think for all 2016 and earlier models, the A/C is through the wall under a bench; as I understand it, 2017 on they plan to under put it on the roof, probably about where that light is, so might protrude a bit more.)

Crymorneault, did you hear from a dealer that Parkliner will cease productions? Nothing on Liberty, etc., websites. FWIW, the Atlanta area dealer is by the Interstate, and I did notice yesterday that they had two sitting on the lot. (Pretty sure the one model changed nothing in the cabin dimensions.) In my experience, you should only assume that actual heights will be less, not greater, but I think the ones stating 6'4" or better are accurate.

And FYI, on the used market you'll find lots of well cared for trailers from companies that are no longer in operation, including, as far as every report I've seen goes, EggCamper, which has size you'd enjoy; condition is the key, and many happy users of campers from the 70s.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #19

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
wide trailer

Howdy from So Cal. I have a wide body Burro which works excellent for me 6'6' tall guy. My wife and I just finished our last trip so it will be up for sale next month. It has a large dinette which is converted to the biggest bed I have found, wide and long. Bath, Shower, A/C, Fridge, etc, etc.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Sounds great! Too bad you are so far away. That would be a couple thousand dollar trip just to pick up.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote