Best windows to get? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2020, 01:26 AM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: Looking to buy
Wyoming
Thanks for all the info guys, you gave me allot of stuff to research.
GregLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:45 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Greg,

These seem to be the windows I have in my HQ19. Double pane, acrylic, or some kind of polycarbonate. Very durable, do not leak. If the screen is down, you have to open it first to adjust the window, but you can also leave the screens completely retracted and get a full view. The trim frames inside are very nice and have the bug screen, the light shade, and a Roman style drop down curtain. These windows can be open a little for ventilation in the rain, a very nice feature. They also lock just barely open for secure ventilation.

The double pane glass sliders in my Oliver did leak. They leaked from where the window sat in the track, not where the frame was sealed to the body, and I could not see how to stop it. The screens were outside the slider, so you could open and close the window without opening the screen to do so. These windows must be closed tight during any rain.

The plastic ones will scratch easier than glass, but the screens are on the inside and won't get damaged as easily as the screens on the outside of the glass sliders. And the screens don't get in the way of washing them because they disappear up into the inside frame. Baseballs and tree branches don't break the polycarbonate windows, even if they do scratch them. It's a tradeoff.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 AM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
this company will make dual pane windows for your project. They do use high quality components.

https://www.motionwindows.com/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m wondering about UV exposure. I’m thinking plastic windows will degrade in the sun. If a trailer is used intermittently and stored under cover, the process might be slow, but for full-time use, uncovered storage, or desert climates, maybe glass is a better way to go?

I’m also wondering whether double pane thermal glass is worth the cost and weight in a small camper. Sheets of Reflectix over the windows at night might be just as effective, perhaps? They work on a different principle of course, reflecting radiant heat back into the cabin rather than slowing thermal transmission of heat by means of a vacuum. Less convenient and maybe a bit ghetto for some...

Just wondering...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #25

Smith Valley, Nevada
Jon,

I'm wondering about UV degradation too. Mine is stored out of the sun and I'm not full timing. Acrylic does not yellow, I had a boat with acrylic windows that were thirty years old and as clear as glass, but I don't know what the formula is on my trailer windows.

I do like that they will not leak and can be propped open in light rain.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #26

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m wondering about UV exposure. I’m thinking plastic windows will degrade in the sun. If a trailer is used intermittently and stored under cover, the process might be slow, but for full-time use, uncovered storage, or desert climates, maybe glass is a better way to go?

I’m also wondering whether double pane thermal glass is worth the cost and weight in a small camper. Sheets of Reflectix over the windows at night might be just as effective, perhaps? They work on a different principle of course, reflecting radiant heat back into the cabin rather than slowing thermal transmission of heat by means of a vacuum. Less convenient and maybe a bit ghetto for some...

Just wondering...
Personally I consider the dual-pane windows to be well worth it, both for thermal insulation and sound. Reflectix helps, but for winter camping I'd say neither is sufficient by itself and it's important to have both.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
but in thinking

How much work is it going to be to retrofit the windows? Maybe there is another alternative?

I was watching in cold weather this time and all my rivets were dripping water condensation I suppose.

my windows didn't do this 1998 13f Scamp just my rivets! Sort of interesting I thought!

last year I put up insulating foam on the windows didn't help!

I guess sometimes we have to accept the way things are!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #28

Smith Valley, Nevada
I wonder if Steve accidentally responded here, to another thread? It got my attention.

But, of course, the connection is that we look out the windows in question, to see the public lands in question.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #29

Name: Antonio
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Double Pane would be a good fit for your window.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I'm sitting in my camper tonight, a classic escape 21 with the sliding Hehr double pane windows and extra insulation, and whoever said that earlier about the aluminum frame oh, they were right. my head is right next to the escape window which has extra alum frame inside and is downright chilly. It's 40 Fahrenheit outside, and 68 inside at the moment.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I learned that years ago when aluminum windows started replacing older wooden windows, the rooms were colder than before because the metal transmits the cold inside. So much for progress....
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #32

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Aluminum framed windows work best if it has a thermal break between the inner and outer parts of the windows. Some home windows have this break, but apparently RV windows do not.

We like to camp during times when it is cold outside and these aluminum windows in our Big Foot are presenting a real challenge. Sure, we could cover it with something, but the whole point of having windows is to see outside.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #33

Missouri
i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Aluminum framed windows work best if it has a thermal break between the inner and outer parts of the windows. Some home windows have this break, but apparently RV windows do not.

We like to camp during times when it is cold outside and these aluminum windows in our Big Foot are presenting a real challenge. Sure, we could cover it with something, but the whole point of having windows is to see outside.
I tried the insulating route I didn't like being in a cave. I want to see outside!

bob
Old 02-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #34

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Has anyone tried making a box out of foam board insulation that would fit over the window frame, cut out a hole in the center and glue a thin piece of acrylic to cover the hole. Insulated window that you can see out of. I'm pretty sure this could be done for the old Jalousie windows on my Boler, but it might be possible on the more modern ones.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #35

Missouri
al windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, I learned that years ago when aluminum windows started replacing older wooden windows, the rooms were colder than before because the metal transmits the cold inside. So much for progress....
the first house I owned had al. windows I hated them for reasons stated

bob
Old 02-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #36

Missouri
raspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Greg,

These seem to be the windows I have in my HQ19. Double pane, acrylic, or some kind of polycarbonate. Very durable, do not leak. If the screen is down, you have to open it first to adjust the window, but you can also leave the screens completely retracted and get a full view. The trim frames inside are very nice and have the bug screen, the light shade, and a Roman style drop down curtain. These windows can be open a little for ventilation in the rain, a very nice feature. They also lock just barely open for secure ventilation.

The double pane glass sliders in my Oliver did leak. They leaked from where the window sat in the track, not where the frame was sealed to the body, and I could not see how to stop it. The screens were outside the slider, so you could open and close the window without opening the screen to do so. These windows must be closed tight during any rain.

The plastic ones will scratch easier than glass, but the screens are on the inside and won't get damaged as easily as the screens on the outside of the glass sliders. And the screens don't get in the way of washing them because they disappear up into the inside frame. Baseballs and tree branches don't break the polycarbonate windows, even if they do scratch them. It's a tradeoff.
raspy I seem to have a back window sort of leaking in my back window scamp 13. I have checked the weep holes they are open. not a big leak but some cant find it bob
Old 02-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #37

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Windows

I believe Sunview Industries in BC makes for BF. Believe they also do custom windows. Very happy with the BF windows. Only complaint is that the alum frame attracts condensation when the temps drop too low.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #38

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a 2019 BF 25RQ. The windows are terrible. When the slide part is open, and the screen is carefully and completely closed so there is no space between the frame and of the window, insects walk right in because the rubber flange/blade between the sliding window glass and the screen does not fit tightly. I watched bugs just literally walk right under the rubber blade. This season I am taking tape and rubber/foam pieces and I hope I will be able to stop the intrusion of bugs. Also the middle corners at the bottom, where the vertical center metal frames are, seem to be not sealed tightly, maybe they come in there also.

In cold weather the window frame is very cold and makes it very uncomfortable to rest an arm on the top of the seat cushion, or when sitting with the back to the window while at the table eating. It must not have a thermal break.

If I can't figure out some way of addressing these two issues I may need to replace some of my windows with the European type of window, as previously noted in prior posts in this thread. I expect replacement will be very expensive, so I may have to live with these issues.

The BF is a very expensive trailer and to find these types of quality issues is disturbing.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #39

Name: john
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Re: best windows... I’m probably not the best person to ask but we once had a 13 ft trillium which had windows that were like slats and opened by cranking a turning gadget that opened the windows as much as needed.. they were by far the nearest and best designed windows I ever owned.. vintage 1980s ...
Jturcot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jturcot2 View Post
Re: best windows... I’m probably not the best person to ask but we once had a 13 ft trillium which had windows that were like slats and opened by cranking a turning gadget that opened the windows as much as needed.. they were by far the nearest and best designed windows I ever owned.. vintage 1980s ...
those are jalousie windows.

not very good in cold weather, they are drafty.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows