Big foot 25B25TB - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #21

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
If you mean the gas struts, I think they are 20 pounds.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalvail View Post
Thomas
I've also been reading and lurking on this forum for a long time; 5-6 years ago, we purchased a 2000 25B21RB trailer, used, and well cared-for. Not to disclose details, but we paid $18K for it and my only additions were a v. large solar panel (600W) and additional battery.

It has since visited half a dozen states, as many provinces, been hauled (by a 2017 Tacoma V6) in rain, sun, snow, essentially 3 Canadians seasons through, and never, ever, has it given us grief. The floor and cabinets are rock solid. The internals are in full working condition, and I've only had to replace a control board for the water heater, and re-sit the front window and its rock-protection when it started to leak a little. While the finish is starting to look a little chalky, a good waxing once per year in the spring makes it look better. Yes, I'm looking at a new gel coat soon, but after 20 years, I figure it's about time to invest some money in the little-trailer-that-could.

All this to say: there may be an easier option to save yourself $25K than buying another brand of trailer: try to go used. Not all used BF have been beaten and dragged through hell and back. And they are well-built, easy to maintain. Those minor changes you may want to make (the rear lights are not LED, as pointed out) will easily fit into your original budget.

I don't know whether the new-generation BigFoots ("BigFeet"?) are built to the same standards as those of 20 years ago, but there's a keeper in BFs of the late 1990's and early 2000's.
I have been watching for used and there don't seem to be many of the 25 foot models around. Then if I do see one it is across the country and they get snapped up right away.

There seem to be a few more of the 21footers around but I am going to be full timing in the winter. Then when I get my Morton building put up here in Mass I will park it inside and still live out of it but I will be able to spread out bit. You know couch, big screen kitchen.

One of the biggest chores is when I want to go some where and I have to load up the camper. If I get something nice enough to basically live out of it will be ready to go almost anytime.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #23

Massachusetts
Well I guess it is going to happen. Denver said they would give me $3000 for my Styrofoam box. Tomorrow I will call them and arrange a deposit and finalize the options. I'm going to go with the cargo box and I need to see if they can put an AC with a heat pump in it.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #24

Name: gail
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Thomas, Hi, Just wanted to say you won't be disappointed. We have a 2018 21'fb. We love it. While we have only had it a year we've camped over 150 nights in it.. From Arizona to the Canadian Rockies, it has kept us cool from the heat and warm on the very cold nights. Every part of the build is rock solid. The quality is as good if not better than before. Had a few very minor problems that,s all. Have been to the factory a few times for a tour and can't say enough about the quality of the build and staff working there. Enjoy your new trailer.
gail in PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #25

Name: Jon
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Well I guess it is going to happen. Denver said they would give me $3000 for my Styrofoam box. Tomorrow I will call them and arrange a deposit and finalize the options. I'm going to go with the cargo box and I need to see if they can put an AC with a heat pump in it.

Did you see this one?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5rq-90566.html
Not sure if it's much if any closer than Denver, but you might save a few bucks buying used.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #26

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
Did you see this one?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5rq-90566.html
Not sure if it's much if any closer than Denver, but you might save a few bucks buying used.
Thanks for the heads up but the check is in the mail. I like the layout of the standard dining room with the extra long side seating. I will be able to stretch out while watching TV. I will also be able to sit on the other side and use the dining room table and wall mounted monitor as my computer room.

I have already arranged for the factory to run HDMI cables from both TV spots to the front overhead where the standard stereo system is. Right now I am typing this in my living room using my 65" 4K tv as a monitor for a small foot print PC. I plan on doing a similar thing in the Bigfoot. I may build a 12 volt PC to go next to the stereo. or I may use my Surface tablet that has an unlimited ATT account.

The ATT plan is $23 per month and it is working fairly well in my Styrofoam box. I can stream Netflix and YouTube fairly well but browsing is slow sometimes because my tablet is not very powerful.

I didn't order the crank up antenna because I can't stand the advertising on regular TV. I may look into a cell signal booster. That is an option in an Oliver. I will have to find out what brand they use.

Well I guess I have been rambling but maybe I should start a thread under entertainment systems if anyone is interested...…..Tom C
Old 10-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #27

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
Select Blinds. Premium cordless blackout shade. It is a foil lined cellular shade, the foil lining and cellular air pockets (like Ollie dual hull) providing the insulation qualities. Lots of colors. Somewhat a PITA to install, but not bad. About a 2 beer job.

That's what we put in our 21' Escape. We ordered without the (to me) crummy stock pull down shades. I really love the blackout, insulated shades. Eventually we plan to upgrade to a Bigfoot (25R about the time Dirk retires. It was suggested that we leave the valences on and that the cellular shades can be installed inside them. I was told there might not always be a cabinet overhead to install them on, like in the Escape.

Did you install inside the valences? Thanks!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #28

North Carolina
I did install inside the valences. That is what made it a slightly longer job. But they are great blinds.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #29

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
ThomasC
Google or Amazon Smartplug systems B30assynt or B30assypb.
Rzrbrn mentioned a Smartplug to fix his shore power cord and after reading about them I couldn't understand why he would need one. I was not having any problems with the cord on my Styrofoam box. Well the BigFoot cord has a fine thread collar, what a pain in the butt.

I am going to put a dab of clear synthetic grease on the collar and if that doesn't work the Smartplug will get installed.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #30

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
Both my Escape and Bigfoot have that same plug design, and it's really terrible. The threads are small/fine but soft and imprecisely made, so it basically cross-threads if you look at it funny. The threaded section isn't actually long enough to sandwich the connector in place tightly enough to keep water out, so it's not really worth the effort. On top of that, the layout means that the screws holding it in are almost guaranteed to tear your knuckles up every time.
Only real advantage is that you can buy a replacement cord almost anywhere. The Smartplug cord's harder to find, and at >$150 it's a bit steep to just keep a spare around.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 AM   #31

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Regarding the SmartPlug:

You can buy just a SmartPlug replacement plug. Cut off the end of your current 30 or 50 amp cord then wire the following up. Basically you can use all the electrical power cords you currently have. It is expensive.

(Amazon):

SmartPlug BF30 Female Connector Assembly-30 Amp
Old 04-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #32

North Carolina
I put one on mine. Much easier. Seems well made. Needed new holes and long SS screws with washers and locknuts on inside. That part was a PITA, but you do get to see how well insulated they are.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #33

Massachusetts
I stumbled on this for the marine industry.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #34

Name: Ted
Trailer: 2023 Bigfoot 25B25RQ Twin Bed
Ontario
Quote:
I did install inside the valences. That is what made it a slightly longer job. But they are great blinds.
Hey Bruce,

What do you think the windows would look like without the valences? If this is possible, we'd order our new 25B25RQ Twin without valences or shades and install the same shades you have.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ted
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #35

North Carolina
Probably look better without valence. Would possibly need width adjustment to ensure solid attachment. For my blinds, we discovered a need to secure them in raised position while traveling. I can send you some photos of our install if you like.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #36

Name: Ted
Trailer: 2023 Bigfoot 25B25RQ Twin Bed
Ontario
Quote:
Probably look better without valence. Would possibly need width adjustment to ensure solid attachment. For my blinds, we discovered a need to secure them in raised position while traveling. I can send you some photos of our install if you like.
Thanks Bruce! I'll touch base with you after we finally get an opportunity to walk through an actual Bigfoot and inspect the factory installed window coverings first hand.
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote