Big foot 25B25TB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Big foot 25B25TB

I am a long time lurker on this forum. A couple of years at least. I wanted to try out camping on the cheap to see if I liked it. I bought a 2004 R-Vision Styrofoam box with the usual results. I had to rebuild the nose and the front third of the floor. Ahhh ignorance is bliss.

I suppose I am getting my money's worth. Massachusetts to Florida, Ohio, and Maine and back. Leaving for Florida again in a couple of months.

I saw my first Bigfoot last January at the Florida camping show. It was a 21RB and I actually filled out paperwork on it. I had only been using my junk for a couple of weeks so I figured I should get some more value out of it. It was just as well because I maybe full timing it for a while as my lodging on the farm is reconfigured.

I am about to put a deposit on a 25B25TB mostly standard with no options. Unless I chicken out...…..Tom C
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I bought a 2019 BF 25RQ w cargo box. off the lot in Atlanta, GA. Should have ordered one instead. Got 10% off listed price but as it turned out seriously overpaid.
I would try hard to order 50 amp with two AC. Need it for SE USA.
Need more 120 elec outlets: front top left corner, under each front bench seat at least. Check fit of screen door at the bottom. Check fit of corner marker lights. They are cheap and fill with water, and do not fit flush. Check back up lights. Whites are not LED. All leak. Holes where wires go into wall we’re not all filled w sealant.
Like the cargo box but have had to take the 30lb tanks out every time they need to be filled. Generator Oman is weak and very noisy. But Oh so convenient. Screens are not tight and bugs walk under the vertical rubber gasket between the screen and the window pane. Honest to god, I watch them walk in. I run a piece of tape from top to bottom., from screen frame to the glass. Had microair soft start installed. Should have had Smart plug also installed. Need 12v plug w digital read out to monitor battery, idiot lights are not enough.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I bought a 2019 BF 25RQ w cargo box. off the lot in Atlanta, GA. Should have ordered one instead. Got 10% off listed price but as it turned out seriously overpaid.
I would try hard to order 50 amp with two AC. Need it for SE USA.
Need more 120 elec outlets: front top left corner, under each front bench seat at least. Check fit of screen door at the bottom. Check fit of corner marker lights. They are cheap and fill with water, and do not fit flush. Check back up lights. Whites are not LED. All leak. Holes where wires go into wall we’re not all filled w sealant.
Like the cargo box but have had to take the 30lb tanks out every time they need to be filled. Generator Oman is weak and very noisy. But Oh so convenient. Screens are not tight and bugs walk under the vertical rubber gasket between the screen and the window pane. Honest to god, I watch them walk in. I run a piece of tape from top to bottom., from screen frame to the glass. Had microair soft start installed. Should have had Smart plug also installed. Need 12v plug w digital read out to monitor battery, idiot lights are not enough.
So after all that are you sorry you bought it? I got a price of $50500 for a 25TB pretty much just standard features with no AC. I plan on installing the roof air myself and will go with 15000 BTU instead of the factory 11000. I live in the Northeast so I shouldn't have your problem.

The cargo box is $1700 and I am still thinking about it. Why does the cargo box force you to pull the propane tanks.

I already have a 2800 watt Honda. I just have to figure how to carry it.

So are you suggesting I R&R every light in the thing. I was an auto mechanic all of my life so that is not a daunting task but it would certainty piss me off.

If I wanted to rebuild something I could buy a used Lance and be $30,000 ahead of the game.

Is there a thread around about problems in new Bigfoot trailers?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Thanks for the tip on the soft start. I just watched a video on it. It looks like a must have. After I got burnt out working on cars I got a job at a tool repair place and most of the generators we had to fix belonged to contractors who ran air compressors off of them.

So what is a Smart plug?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #5

Tennessee
ThomasC
Google or Amazon Smartplug systems B30assynt or B30assypb.

The cargo box also encloses the twin 30lb propane tanks. That access door is too small to attach the usual propane connector from the larger bulk tank to the 30’s.

I would consider getting the longer chassis but without the fiberglass cargo box. Then mount a platform with a Honda eu3000is gen in the middle with metal cargo boxes on each side. The propane tanks would then be open and easy to refuel without dismounting.

All RV’s have quality issues, inc BF. But Bf is well built and issues are relatively minor.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
So after all that are you sorry you bought it? I got a price of $50500 for a 25TB pretty much just standard features with no AC. I plan on installing the roof air myself and will go with 15000 BTU instead of the factory 11000. I live in the Northeast so I shouldn't have your problem.

The cargo box is $1700 and I am still thinking about it. Why does the cargo box force you to pull the propane tanks.

I already have a 2800 watt Honda. I just have to figure how to carry it.

So are you suggesting I R&R every light in the thing. I was an auto mechanic all of my life so that is not a daunting task but it would certainty piss me off.

If I wanted to rebuild something I could buy a used Lance and be $30,000 ahead of the game.

Is there a thread around about problems in new Bigfoot trailers?

I bought my 2018 21RB in March of this year (2019) It does not have the front storage box. I still have to remove the propane tanks from the fiberglass cover in order to fill them so there is that. Overall I am very happy with my Bigfoot, even though there are a few issues. I think no matter what trailer you get, issues are going to pop up, even brand new. For one, it would be great to have a more granular and accurate reading of the levels of the fresh, gray, and black water tanks. If I were to order new I might ask if the sensors could be upgraded to Seelevel sensors. They can be upgraded on my trailer but it would take removing the tank cover which I am not in a position to do right now. I don't notice any screen issues or issues with lights but it doesn't rain that much where I live. As for new trailer issues you can search for Bigfoot here, and there is also the Bigfoot Owners Club (https://bigfootowners.com). You can request guest access and poke around the forums there.

If you are curious and want to really see complaints about very expensive, brand new trailers check out the Airstream forums.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I bought my 2018 21RB in March of this year (2019) It does not have the front storage box. I still have to remove the propane tanks from the fiberglass cover in order to fill them so there is that. Overall I am very happy with my Bigfoot, even though there are a few issues. I think no matter what trailer you get, issues are going to pop up, even brand new. For one, it would be great to have a more granular and accurate reading of the levels of the fresh, gray, and black water tanks. If I were to order new I might ask if the sensors could be upgraded to Seelevel sensors. They can be upgraded on my trailer but it would take removing the tank cover which I am not in a position to do right now. I don't notice any screen issues or issues with lights but it doesn't rain that much where I live. As for new trailer issues you can search for Bigfoot here, and there is also the Bigfoot Owners Club (https://bigfootowners.com). You can request guest access and poke around the forums there.

If you are curious and want to really see complaints about very expensive, brand new trailers check out the Airstream forums.
Both of you have given me some good ideas. I was just reading about the seelevel gauge system, good stuff.

Yes I have read a lot of Airstream complaints. I was thinking I was becoming fixated on the big foot so I started searching for a better RV that wasn't to heavy and started looking into a Lance. They look good but they are a horror show of problems. Mostly leaks which is the worst problem.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We’ve enjoyed our 2018 25RQ with front storage, which is a great option. Propane tanks have to be hauled out with or without. Our BF replaced an Oliver as we needed more room and true 4-season capability. Have had no bug issues, and have camped in buggy Florida and Upper Peninsula. We run the 11,000btu A/C on a Yamaha 2000 genset, stock unit starts and runs great. Seems adequate. We’re cool today on a 100 degree October day in NC. I did replace all stock blinds with insulated blackout shades, so that must help. Guess we’ve been lucky!
Bruce, Kathryn and Oscar the old pug
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
...Our BF replaced an Oliver as we needed more room and true 4-season capability...
Are you implying the Oliver does NOT have 4-season capability?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I suspect that Bruce is well aware of the Oliver's excellent insulation package,
and that he wished his comment to primarily mean the need for more storage,
and meant no offense to Oliver owners, present or past.

They are both top of the line trailers in my opinion,
just very different in their layouts. I was quite impressed with my visit
to the Oliver manufacturing facility in TN, but haven't yet made it to BC to
see the Bigfoot manufacturing plant.

Herb
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

North Carolina
We loved our Ollie and it’s in a new happy home on the west coast having incredible adventures. In our over 200 nights in the Oliver and now over 200 in the Bigfoot, I would give Ollie the edge in summer and Bigfoot the edge in winter. You can still be comfortable in both, just a question of how much propane and venting needed in winter, and how much A/C needed in summer. Minimal to no winter condensation issues in BF. No so in Ollie for us. YMMV. First hot sunny days in BF had me changing stock blinds for insulated, and insulated blinds on both skylights. Hottest days are now no issue. Both great caravans. Whatever gets you outdoors and camping is what matters.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
We loved our Ollie and it’s in a new happy home on the west coast having incredible adventures. In our over 200 nights in the Oliver and now over 200 in the Bigfoot, I would give Ollie the edge in summer and Bigfoot the edge in winter. You can still be comfortable in both, just a question of how much propane and venting needed in winter, and how much A/C needed in summer. Minimal to no winter condensation issues in BF. No so in Ollie for us. YMMV. First hot sunny days in BF had me changing stock blinds for insulated, and insulated blinds on both skylights. Hottest days are now no issue. Both great caravans. Whatever gets you outdoors and camping is what matters.
May I ask exactly with what insulated blinds you replaced the OEM blinds?
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #13

North Carolina
Select Blinds. Premium cordless blackout shade. It is a foil lined cellular shade, the foil lining and cellular air pockets (like Ollie dual hull) providing the insulation qualities. Lots of colors. Somewhat a PITA to install, but not bad. About a 2 beer job.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Old 10-05-2019, 01:56 AM   #14

Massachusetts
This is such a great forum. Lot of real good information like the soft start and the blinds. The comment about the summer winter differences are really valuable to me.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:12 AM   #15

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Based on the construction, I'd expect the Oliver to be a bit better than Escapes, but not nearly as good as the Bigfoots. The dual-wall construction is great and means that the reflectix isn't totally useless as a radiant barrier, but it's still a pretty small air gap and I'm not sure having two opposing radiant barriers is very effective.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #16

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Based on the construction, I'd expect the Oliver to be a bit better than Escapes, but not nearly as good as the Bigfoots. The dual-wall construction is great and means that the reflectix isn't totally useless as a radiant barrier, but it's still a pretty small air gap and I'm not sure having two opposing radiant barriers is very effective.
So you’ve owned both and have comprehensive knowledge of each or are you just guessing. And anyway, my (simple) question was directed toward Bruce Olive.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #17

Tennessee
I own a 2019 BF and have been to the Oliver factory a couple of times prior to purchasing the BF. Defenestrator is spot on.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #18

Name: Dany
Quebec
Happy owner of a 25B21RB

Thomas
I've also been reading and lurking on this forum for a long time; 5-6 years ago, we purchased a 2000 25B21RB trailer, used, and well cared-for. Not to disclose details, but we paid $18K for it and my only additions were a v. large solar panel (600W) and additional battery.

It has since visited half a dozen states, as many provinces, been hauled (by a 2017 Tacoma V6) in rain, sun, snow, essentially 3 Canadians seasons through, and never, ever, has it given us grief. The floor and cabinets are rock solid. The internals are in full working condition, and I've only had to replace a control board for the water heater, and re-sit the front window and its rock-protection when it started to leak a little. While the finish is starting to look a little chalky, a good waxing once per year in the spring makes it look better. Yes, I'm looking at a new gel coat soon, but after 20 years, I figure it's about time to invest some money in the little-trailer-that-could.

All this to say: there may be an easier option to save yourself $25K than buying another brand of trailer: try to go used. Not all used BF have been beaten and dragged through hell and back. And they are well-built, easy to maintain. Those minor changes you may want to make (the rear lights are not LED, as pointed out) will easily fit into your original budget.

I don't know whether the new-generation BigFoots ("BigFeet"?) are built to the same standards as those of 20 years ago, but there's a keeper in BFs of the late 1990's and early 2000's.
dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #19

Name: GERRY
Ontario
what is the pound on a window chocks for a 1993 Bigfoot front window cover 17:
sweetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry