Big Rig RVers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
actually i just wanted the chance to use the word "ostentatious"
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #22

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I am guessing more than a couple of tenters are looking at people in the tiny trailers and thinking the same thing you are thinking about the people in the bigger motorhomes - just on a smaller scale.

And the squirrel is looking at the tenter just laughing to himself about needing such a silly contraption out in the forest!
So true, I come from a group of tent camping friends. I went to show of my new egg and got eye rolls and looks of betrayal. Despite that none of us has pitched a tent more than a few yards from a car in years. We'll see who gets to come inside and play cards at the dinette on that cold wet day coming soon
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
small tent trailer

I camped for 31 years in a 10 foot tent trailer with a slide out bed on only one side. I loved it and towed it nearly 200K in 31 years. Even lived in it for two months when I was building my first house with a wife and a 6 year old. Slept in it when the temperature dipped to 18 degrees F. Towed it with a Toyota Corolla with minimal effect on fuel mileage. I often told people I could live in it except for a few minor inconveniences. Those being the lack of access when making a roadside stop, difficulty using a Wallmart or Cracker Barrel Parking Lot when I became tired and had not reached my destination, and having to close it in the rain.
I now have a Lil Snoozy on order and it will feel like the Ritz!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #24

Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
Nevada
the guys I race with all have 30 foot mh's. Until I get my scamp, I sleep in a tent, or the back of my truck.. its nice having them around for wind blockage.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #25

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
My original post was not meant to be mean spirited towards my big rig friends.They are "full timers" and I can understand why they desire the creature comforts.I was only throwing a little humor out there.Heck,I even have a/c...the roof vent.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #26

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i understand their desire for "creature comforts" too. however, those comforts come with a pricetag. a big one. i am happy with what i have...but i am always cognizant of the fact that what works for me today may not work for me a few years down the road..so i keep my options open.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Over the last few years I have gone from tent camping; loved it. Upgraded to a 13' Trillium; loved it. Now I have a 20' sticky; love it. Yes, towing the Trillium was more expensive than taking the tent; gas milage was worse and road tolls were higher. However, I loved the fact I could pull into a campground, or more often a Walmart, when on the road and cook a meal or have a sleep with no fuss.

As I get older (60), I find I appreciate more space and creature comforts. My Trillium had a Porta-Potti but now I have a full bathroom, including the shower I missed in the Trillium.

Yes, it costs more for gas now but the few extra dollars in cost are worth it to me for the extra features. I was able to buy my much newer sticky for $300. more than I sold my Trillium for. It has twice the space, is much newer and in much better shape.

I enjoy the 'egg' community; wonderful people. Perhaps I can park nearby and sneak into the odd campfire discussion... I'm sure I'll be welcome, as long as I don't park too close... LOL
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
^ x2
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i have to admit i'm a little conflicted....moving up in size from my teardrop camper to a full sized scamp 13. i hope i don't come off as ostentatious at the camp grounds.
Such a great post.
I swear, none of us will point and laugh, and call your trailer ostentatious when we see you at the campground.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #30

Name: Kristiano
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren
i have to admit i'm a little conflicted....moving up in size from my teardrop camper to a full sized scamp 13. i hope i don't come off as ostentatious at the camp grounds.
What's funny is we actually were looking for a teardrop trailer and ended buying our 13' trillium from the teardrop dealer. We felt a little bad "buying up" over our initial intent, but we're so happy we did.

My family all have big 40 foot rigs and hardly understand us getting such a small camper. I chalk it up to actually wanting to camp vs hang out in a "drivable home." As was said before, "to each his/her own!"
kristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #31

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Also !

I forgot to mention in my previous reply to this thread the big rigs inability to maneuver around the trees in the out of the way places found in the primitive sections of a campground.
I know it is all personal choice, but if I can't pee outside when I'm camping, I'd have to ask myself if I was really camping. Now, of course the tenters may be saying the same thing when they see my rig! Like I said it is all personal choice, but I feel no envy with I see those huge rigs lined up in a row with not even 30 feet between them.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I forgot to mention in my previous reply to this thread the big rigs inability to maneuver around the trees in the out of the way places found in the primitive sections of a campground.
I know it is all personal choice, but if I can't pee outside when I'm camping, I'd have to ask myself if I was really camping. Now, of course the tenters may be saying the same thing when they see my rig! Like I said it is all personal choice, but I feel no envy with I see those huge rigs lined up in a row with not even 30 feet between them.

Of course this assumes that "Camping" is what you want to do. Many folks do not want a "camping experience". Each to his/her/its own
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #33

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Of course this assumes that "Camping" is what you want to do. Many folks do not want a "camping experience". Each to his/her/its own
I like to get away. I like to sleep in my own bed. I like the smells and sounds of the outdoors. I like a hot shower after a day hiking in the mountains....
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #34

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I like to get away. I like to sleep in my own bed. I like the smells and sounds of the outdoors. I like a hot shower after a day hiking in the mountains....
X2.......except we just get to hike the trails and ride the bikes because there are no mountains near us. One think is sure we spend a lot more time outside than in when we go camping.The other sure thing is nothing is better than my own bed after a hot shower at night.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote