Big Units - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As I sit in this campground on this long weekend for Canada, A humongos trailer pulled in. He tried for over 1 hr to get it parked. A crowd gathered and watched as it became a sight to see. His TV and Trailer appeared to be brand new and it seemed that he never pulled one before. During this time he managed to blow one tire as he had the unit in such an angle that i thought it would roll over. Some folks wanted to help him and they did in the end. It was a sight to behold. Glad i have a smaller unit.

There does not seem to me to be many small units on the road. Still lots of big units being pulled around.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
The fuel prices are starting to have a trickle-down effect here. On the drive to and from work yesterday there were 8 different units for sale on the roadside. 3 rvs (2 class c and 1 class A), 5 trailers with the smallest being about 24' (2 of the trailers were very large fith wheels).
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Chester, Dh and I owned a rv-park a few years back. And that was always the entertainment. Someone who didn't know how to back in. Only happened when we were swamped cause we had a lot of pull thru's and just a few back in's. Dh always ended up backing it in for them. Some would just say, I don't know how! So we missed the evening entertainment on those occassion. LOL. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hey chester....when dennis and i were in the states for 6 weeks this past april, everywhere we camped we were dwarfed by huge rigs...when we talked with those folks, it seems the vast majority of them only travelled within a small radius from home due to the high fuel costs. we were always the focus of alot of attention due to our tiny size and compactness. i never failed to be so happy to be pulling our "baby trailer" as one lady called it. sure, it may be too compact for some, and sure, on rainy days it may cross our minds sometime that perhaps something larger would be more comfortable..but overall, we are thrilled to own and camp in it. how are you enjoying the escape????
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Have to agree that watching someone else with parking problems is entertaining - when it's me having the problem, not so much fun - I've learned to wait a few hours and have a glass of wine before I try to back my trailer into my extremely narrow driveway off my street which is usually littered with cars in awkward places.

Haven't noticed more small trailers on the road yet . . . . although I have noticed a substantial increase in the number of new scooters on my daily commute into town - so I think people are starting to look for fuel-saving alternatives.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Theresa
Escape is doing fine. Glad we have it as compared to those big units. Marie and I just watched another big 5th wheel trying to park. This is more fun than camping . I could watch these guys all day.
Marie and i went to Duncan today and did notice a large number of big RVs for sale, but still lots on road. We also talked to some of the campers here and most are only a few miles from home.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
When we camped Memorial Day weekend there were NO big rigs in the campground. A few medium-sized TTs and 5th wheels but mostly small TTs, pop-ups and lots of tents. It was the opposite of the last time we camped there. We didn't feel nearly as small as we usually do!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Chester, a picture is worth a thousand words. I sure would have liked to have seen that. It's hilarous watching with the fellows wife and her walkie talkee shouting at each other. Anyone can drive those big rigs. I believe that anything RV over say 20ft. should have an on road exam they have to pass. Air brakes require a course and a special license so should those who have especially monster motorhomes.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Air brakes require a course and a special license so should those who have especially monster motorhomes.

Not all states require a private individual to test for air brakes on their motorhomes while the test is required for a CDL (commercial drivers license). I have my own CDL with the endorsement for air brake, but I'm with you, I feel anyone who drives a motorhome over 20' or a tandem rig with trailer over 20 should have testing and certification.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Not all states require a private individual to test for air brakes on their motorhomes while the test is required for a CDL (commercial drivers license). I have my own CDL with the endorsement for air brake, but I'm with you, I feel anyone who drives a motorhome over 20' or a tandem rig with trailer over 20 should have testing and certification.
My other vehicle: 2003 Freightliner Columbia
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Quote:
My other vehicle: 2003 Freightliner Columbia
Benita:

My Kenworth will out haul your Freighliner and I ain't never had no air brake testing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Tow.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	14132

I do have problems backing it into camping spots, I keep losing the trailer in the mirrors. So I end up sleeping in the cab.

Harold
Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #12

Registry
While the Kenworth looks cute, the trailer just isn't pink enough.

I couldn't remember if I posted this in the sightings file when I came across it in a trade magazine. I was kind of curious if the trailer belonged to someone from the board or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Addcrop.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	14142
Old 06-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i agree with you, bonnie, that anyone who drives one of those large units should have to prove, first, that they can manouver it around....my husband, who took the air brake course years ago, has said the same thing forever as he watched so many people demonstrate over and over that they are totally unprepared to operate these "tanks".
it is scary, in fact.....not to mention dangerous!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Benita:

My Kenworth will out haul your Freighliner and I ain't never had no air brake testing.

Attachment 14132

I do have problems backing it into camping spots, I keep losing the trailer in the mirrors. So I end up sleeping in the cab.

Harold
My other other vehicle is a Toyota Corolla. Both vehicles are suited for the tasks I acquired them for. The "more power" thing is a macho trait I don't try to emulate.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Speaking of parking your RV take a look at this.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Quote:
Speaking of parking your RV take a look at this.
Take a look at WHAT?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Take a look at WHAT?
http://www.pinehollowlakeside.com/rv-parking.html
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Quote:
Take a look at WHAT?
Hey, you go gf!!!!
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
My in-laws just announced that they have bought a 40 foot 'Alfa See Ya'.

I can't wait to get a photo of our Scamp next to it... in fact if they have a hitch, I might just hook it up for a picture.

In their defense... they sold their house and are 'full timing'... and will be idle most of the time.
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It wasn't funny. It was rather sad.

I watched a couple guys launching a 26' fg boat with twin inboard/outboards. As the driver backed down the ramp, the boat slid off the trailer smashing the legs on the concrete.

His helpful friend had unhooked the boat from the trailer without his knowledge.

I figure that was about $4,000 damage at least and no fishing for a while.

baglo

And, hey don't watch me when the new Escape arrives. I've only had to cope with a tent trailer up 'til now. I'm going to have to practice and instruct the Old Bag in how to give directional assist.