Bigfoot 17.5 for a new Scout Olympic? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2022, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Bigfoot 17.5 for a new Scout Olympic?

We stopped by the dealer to get some dicor, and checked out the scout truck campers and we were impressed with the design, minimalist, simple and functional.

So what could I get for a 2019 Bigfoot 17.5FB without AC in good condition? The only listing I could find was for a new one for 62,000---wowo!
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Those Scouts seem really nice but.... Figure in the cost of the 1 ton dually you'd need and you are in high roller territory.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
I've already got the one ton SRW... so it will be a higher roller in terms of height ;-)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:44 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
I currently own a 1995 Bigfoot 17.5 Gaucho and, in the past, have owned a good quality cabover camper. I haven't seen the Scout but, based on my experience, I can't imagine that it can begin to approach the trailer in several regards -- openness, storage, window space to view the environment in which you are camped, an empty truck bed to carry all sorts of extra things.

I did watch a video about the Scout Olympic and it said that it's designed for a 1/2 ton truck. It also said it was designed to fill an unfilled niche in the truck camper market which they called "overlanding" which seemed to be offroad camping. So the Scout is clearly designed for a different kind of use than the Bigfoot trailer.

The Scout has a 12-v cooler rather than a fridge, a smallish sink, basically a nice camp stove for cooking. They seem like really nice units for what they are but, imho, they are designed for a different kind of use than your trailer.

It seems to me that, if you think the Scout is what you need, then you probably didn't perform enough due diligence before purchasing the trailer.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You’ve got one of the nicest molded trailers on the planet. It is a fully self-contained, four season trailer. It can be towed by a half-ton pickup or larger SUV (if you downsize in future). It has enough room to endure a spell of nasty weather. It leaves the bed of the truck available for gear. It allows you to leave your base camp set up while you go out exploring for the day.

The Scout is a step above a hard-side tent. If you want to use the truck for something else, you have to unload the camper, a far more involved task than unhitching a trailer. When you’re in the field, you have to break camp and take your house with you to go exploring for the day.

If you’re wanting to get deep into the wilderness where a trailer gets in the way, then perhaps this makes sense. If you have realized you over-bought and don’t need all the amenities the Bigfoot offers, maybe. Otherwise, consider how much you’re giving up. Needs can change in the future.

How much is it worth? Hard to say because it’s a rare model. Assuming it’s still in like-new condition, I’d probably set a price a bit under what dealers are asking for new, more if it has expensive aftermarket upgrades, less if it has visible wear and tear. You could also search the “sold” archives here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for other B17.5FBs. There have been a few. Add in an inflation factor for pre-COVID sales.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Washington
Registry
Jon, Thanks for that link.

I know I've got a nice camper, but we kinda stumbled into it after a deal on a Northern Lite TC fell through (didn't fit the truck). It has been nice to drop the TT, and go exploring. Initially the plan was for a lot of boondocking, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. We've used the shower only once, the rest of the time it just holds the cat litter, and wet clothes. As life happens, we've developed an interest in boating, and you can't pull two trailers... Also, the scout wasn't on the market when we bought the Bigfoot (or at least was relatively unknown at the time). I'm still exploring options...

Tags
bigfoot