Bigfoot 17 vs Bigfoot 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
i've heard that the Bigfoot 19 pulls better than the Bigfoot 17...basically that it's bigger, better, and easier to pull...... any comments on this, and what were you pulling it with. Thank you for any feedback.
DwayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are few BigFoot 19s around. I think I only know of 2-3 owners that are members of FiberglassRV and none of those went from a 17 to a 19.

"basically that it's bigger, better, and easier to pull"
Bigger for sure. Better.. than what? Easier to pull... that's subjective. Alot of comfort in towing depends on the TUG and grade of road.... going over the Rockies is different than driving the plain states no matter what the trailer.

The Bigfoot 19 is a tandem axle.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I am not a Bigfoot owner, but I have seen both the 17' version and the 19' version.
IIRC, the 19' and the 5th wheel molds were lost in a factory fire, and Bigfoot decided to discontinue those trailers rather than recreate the molds.

The 19' is similar to the rear bathroom version of the 17' with the following differences:
  • The 19' is double axle, while the 17' is single axle
  • The closet in the 19' is behind the gaucho/bed, and covers the back wall from the curbside corner to the bathroom
  • The closet in the 17' is beside the gaucho/bed, sandwiched between it and the bathroom
  • The closet in the 19' is HUGE, the closet in the 17' is tiny in comparison
  • The 17' has a rear-facing window over the end of the gaucho/bed, the 19' does not because of the closet.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
The Bigfoot 17s (CB and Gaucho) are a bit small, but work well for one or two smaller people. I would not recommend them for especially tall or large individuals. The Bigfoot 21 (or 25) would be a better choice for those folks. The Bigfoot 19s haven't been produced since about 1993, so there are not that many good ones available. In fact, Bigfoot trailer production numbers generally have not been large, certainly not as large as Casita. Bigfoot Industries (1993-2008) channeled the majority of their efforts into truck campers and motorhomes, especially in later years.

The first Bigfoot trailer I ever saw was a 19 footer and I really liked the interior woodwork. It belonged to an astronomy grad student who was loading up his equipment at Joshua Tree after a weekend of astronomy work. He managed to load an incredible amount of equipment into that trailer!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have the 25B25RQ. The 25B is the 2500 series and the 25RQ stands for 25’ Rear Queen.

You can view their most recent models at their website. http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfootrv_t...lers_2500.html

I have no problems at all towing my 25 footer with out an equalizer hitch or easy lift hitch on my 3500 Dodge truck. We just hook up and go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mikesTT.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	27214

I hope this helps,
Mike
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
"Easier to pull" is pretty subjective, and depends on MANY factors. I owned Bob B's 17 before he bought it from me. I also have a 25RQ. One of my close friends has a 19'. The frontal area of the Bigfoot is what makes them a little more difficult to tow than other designs, and I found that there's not a whole lot of difference between pulling the 17 and 25' trailers, even though there's about 2,000 lbs difference in weight. My friend pulls his 19' tandem axle with a Jeep Liberty and an e-qual-i-zer sway control WDH and reports that the Liberty is more stable when hitched than it is by itself.

I pulled both my 17CB and 25RQ with a Toyota Tundra 4WD with a 3.4l V6. I now pull the 25RQ with a 5.7L Nissan Titan 4WD.

There's a lot of opinions out there... I'd just suggest buying the Bigfoot with a floorplan you find suits your needs... and then get something competent to tow it.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft

There's a lot of opinions out there... I'd just suggest buying the Bigfoot with a floorplan you find suits your needs... and then get something competent to tow it.

....and of course STOP it safely!

my .02

Time K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot