Bigfoot 17 vs Escape 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi all, family and I are considering a FG trailer and as far as the newer models go these two seem to be it (also we're in canada and these two are built in BC). So, wanted to leverage any folks out there who have done a comparison of the two. Of the basics I'm aware that the bigfoot is a wide-body and weights very close to 3000 lbs dry, whereas the escape is less than 2000. We did look at an owner's 17' casita in the states a few years back but were turned off by the heavy chemical smell of glued down carpet liner, etc. Ended up buying a small '69 airstream which I towed with a truck. Both were sold in '04 and we're now looking for a smaller rig as we live in toronto now, as such we're looking at the new Rav4 with 3500 towing capacity (we have 1 city parking space). So, the bigfoot is probably too heavy though we do like the photos of the 'G' model even though the rear sofa only makes into a 42" wide bed and there are 3 of us. Comments/suggestions?
Also, I have seen prices as low as 22K cdn for both, new.
patharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Hi all, family and I are considering a FG trailer and as far as the newer models go these two seem to be it (also we're in canada and these two are built in BC). So, wanted to leverage any folks out there who have done a comparison of the two. Of the basics I'm aware that the bigfoot is a wide-body and weights very close to 3000 lbs dry, whereas the escape is less than 2000. We did look at an owner's 17' casita in the states a few years back but were turned off by the heavy chemical smell of glued down carpet liner, etc. Ended up buying a small '69 airstream which I towed with a truck. Both were sold in '04 and we're now looking for a smaller rig as we live in toronto now, as such we're looking at the new Rav4 with 3500 towing capacity (we have 1 city parking space). So, the bigfoot is probably too heavy though we do like the photos of the 'G' model even though the rear sofa only makes into a 42" wide bed and there are 3 of us. Comments/suggestions?
Also, I have seen prices as low as 22K cdn for both, new.
There is an older 17' Bigfoot up in Jacksons Point, possibly for sale, they might let you have a look at it to see how they are built. Kevin here has seen it. I'm somewhat interested in it, but would like to wait till it's for sale, seems my interest raised the price. In that range, there is also a 17' Boler up in Tottenham, as well as the recent Trillium 5500 (about 18') posted here being in Bowmanville, ON. (I'm pretty sure think this is the same one listed earlier on BuySell.com for $2000 less)

There was also a smaller bigfoot for sale in Hull for $7500, Alan posted it in the referal forum a few weeks back. I have a picture of it and it looked pretty good. The seller only spoke French.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We looked at all sorts of FGRVs at the Oregon Gathering last year. Personal but unbiased opinion: judged both on quality of construction and value for money, the Escape is the only larger FGRV we would seriously consider.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
'Scapes lighter, easier to tow easier on gas too, VERY important nowadayze!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...we're looking at the new Rav4 with 3500 towing capacity... So, the bigfoot is probably too heavy...
No "probably" about it - I would not consider the current (2500-series) 17.5 Bigfoot with the RAV4 (even the new one). That's not a criticism of the Bigfoot - I just think it's just too much trailer for any tow vehicle with a 3500 lb tow rating, especially one which doesn't have a very long wheelbase.

The Bigfoot is much wider than the Escape (or Scamp 16' or Casita 16'/17' or any 13' egg) and I wouldn't want that behind the RAV4; my Boler 1700 is in between the Escape and Bigfoot in width, and I wish it were narrower. The Bigfoot's extra width is there for a reason; in combination with the more squared shape, it looks like the bathroom is a more comfortable size.

Anyone considering an Escape would presumably want to read the recent discussions in this forum, such as [b]Escape Trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape