Bigfoot 25B25RT factory Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Bigfoot
Virginia
Bigfoot 25B25RT factory Options

I have been following this site and gather all the info I could on fiberglass campers.
It came down to the Oliver and the Bigfoot.
My wife and I drove the 300 miles to Southland RV to finally see a Bigfoot.
I only found three small items I did not like, so I made the big jump and drove 1200 miles to Trailer World in Denver and ordered one.
I call it the big jump, 60k for a trailer and 20k for a building to keep it in, did I loose my mind!
Well any way, we ordered all of the normal options, but these are items, some people may not be aware of.
1. Bigfoot offers a 2", 4" or 6" factory lift. We went with the 4" lift where they flip the axels.
2. Bigfoot will install a 2" x 2" rear receiver hitch on the bumper. They also raise the rear spare tire and reinforce the rear bumper for a 150 Lb. weight carrying capacity. We will use a Great Day Hitch N Ride so we can carry our generator or a small cooler.
We ordered the extended tongue with fiberglass box and I may do a mod upfront.
3. Inside we eliminated the sky light in the living.
4. We are having Bigfoot install shelves in the two wardrobe closets.
This is one of the things I like about Bigfoot, there willingness to do factory specials.
GeoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

Name: Jon
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoFish View Post
I have been following this site and gather all the info I could on fiberglass campers.
I only found three small items I did not like, so I made the big jump and drove 1200 miles to Trailer World in Denver and ordered one.
I call it the big jump, 60k for a trailer and 20k for a building to keep it in, did I loose my mind!
Well any way, we ordered all of the normal options, but these are items, some people may not be aware of.
1. Bigfoot offers a 2", 4" or 6" factory lift. We went with the 4" lift where they flip the axels.
2. Bigfoot will install a 2" x 2" rear receiver hitch on the bumper. They also raise the rear spare tire and reinforce the rear bumper for a 150 Lb. weight carrying capacity. We will use a Great Day Hitch N Ride so we can carry our generator or a small cooler.
This is one of the things I like about Bigfoot, there willingness to do factory specials.

I have a 21RB that I bought used. I agree on not having the skylight. The light is nice but really it lets in a LOT of heat. And, it's not recommended to put anything in to block the light since it can cause heat related cracking. Also be aware that the new bumper will be so thick that you won't be able to store any of the normal sized sewer hoses.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #3

Virginia
Thanks JonRaw.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Leola
I am curious, what is the upcharge for the 4" lift?

Did you explore installing a hitch on the rear frame?

What color combo did you choose for the interior?

Mark
Mark Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell View Post
I am curious, what is the upcharge for the 4" lift?

Did you explore installing a hitch on the rear frame?

What color combo did you choose for the interior?

Mark
Mark

The 4" lift was $300.
The rear receiver was only $250, I feel better with Bigfoot doing the mod.
The colors are Driftwood and Windswept.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #6

Name: Gnuu
Trailer: Sprinter
Virginia
Quote:
We are slowly debating what Travel Trailer to purchase. Being on the East Coast, and in Virginia, we are leaning towards the Oliver Legacy Elite II. It Is much closer for maintenance and repair work. Would you please consider laying out your reasons for choosing the Bigfoot 25RT over the Oliver LE2
Thank you, Walk in His Peace,
Scribe With A Stylus
ScribeWithAStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribeWithAStylus View Post
We are slowly debating what Travel Trailer to purchase. Being on the East Coast, and in Virginia, we are leaning towards the Oliver Legacy Elite II. It Is much closer for maintenance and repair work. Would you please consider laying out your reasons for choosing the Bigfoot 25RT over the Oliver LE2
Thank you, Walk in His Peace,
Scribe With A Stylus
These are my opinions and I understand that different people have different priorities. To some people smaller is better and easier to tow. My last camper was a 34 foot TT toy hauler and at 11,000 Lbs., was a beast. So the larger Bigfoot at 27.5 feet is small to me.
I also understand your concern about service. We are only 4 hours from Oliver. This will be our 7th camper. There are very few repair items that I cannot repair myself so I opted for the Bigfoot. I have never had a problem with the refrigerator or AC in any RV, but if I do, there are local warranty repair facilities that will do the work and Bigfoot will help you find one. My dealer in Denver will send me any warranty parts I may need and work with me on any repairs.
They are both well built campers and I would rate them both a 10 on build quality. I do not think you will have many warranty items on either camper.
But for us, the Oliver is just too small.
The one item the Oliver has that is lacking in the Bigfoot is the three power leveling jacks.
But the items we considered essential and finalized our decision are;
1. A camper must provide us with a comfortable place to sleep. The twin beds in the Oliver are 75" X 30" and are curved at one corner.
The beds in the Bigfoot at 36" X 80". Standard Twin Xl sheets will fit the Bigfoot, the Oliver is going to need custom sheets. I laid down in both beds, and for me, the Oliver is uncomfortable, the Bigfoot felt like home. Also the bedroom is separate and Bigfoot offers a privacy curtain option. If you want to stay up and read and your wife wants to sleep, no problem.
2. The kitchen in the Bigfoot is bigger and has more storage. We are having Bigfoot install shelves in the wardrobe cabinet by the kitchen to use as a pantry or general storage cabinet.
3. The dinette in the Olive seats two where the Bigfoot seats 5 and convert to a full size bed. Also if you do not want a dinette, Bigfoot will install a couch in its place. We almost went with this option, nut decided to stay with the dinette.
4. I could not stand up in the Oliver shower. The Bigfoot even without the skylight in the shower, allowed me to stand and shower. I also like the dry bath in the Bigfoot.
5. The Bigfoot has more exterior storage and offers the a extended front storage box.
6. The Bigfoot will give us a generator rack, lift the camper and give us what we need.
7. The Bigfoot is better insulated.
8. The Bigfoot was less expensive, but that does no mean it lesser quality.
I have not toured either factory, but my guess is that Bigfoot is more efficient in there manufacturing process. Oliver main business is bath tubs, not campers. Bigfoots only business is camper manufacturing. Also you have the 20% currency advantage of being made in Canada. Yes Oliver is factory direct, but that does not necessarily reduce selling and warranty costs.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We enjoyed our Oliver for two years, but opted for a Bigfoot 25RQ three years ago. For us the Bigfoot provides a more comfortable camper for long trips and extreme weather. Dry camping right now out of Stanley ID, on the 6th week of an extended trip from our home in NC. Larger tanks and better insulation than Oliver. Temperatures on this trip have ranged from 18 to 105. Personal choice, as both are very well made campers.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #9

Name: Lauren
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Colorado
We probably came to our search from a slightly different direction. We had a hybrid travel trailer before, and in our next trailer, we wanted better insulation for winter/ski camping, bigger tanks for longer boondocking, and better off-road capabilities. At some point, we decided we could get two of those three in a Bigfoot (the other unit we looked at was the Black Series - but we ultimately decided winter/ski camping was a higher priority than off-road capabilities). I looked briefly at the Olivers - and no doubt they are beautiful and well-crafted, but for us, we wanted bigger tanks and a dry bath. So we ordered our 25RQ and couldn't be happier. It really is a personal decision, so you can't go wrong either way - just go with the one that "fits" you better. Good luck shopping!
Lauren in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Bigfoot skylights

I wish out BF25RQ didn't have the sky lights. I just look at them as something to get hit by whatever and cause a leak on a trip. First time I have to replace the one in the dinette and bathroom I think I'm going to build a panel to screw on them. I'll build something inside to look appealing. You right about the heat they let in. We travel in warmer climates, our last trip to Curry Hammock in the afternoon even with the shade drawn on the skylight in the dinette you can put your hand up there and feel the heat. Even with this heat we can maintain a nice 68 to 69 degrees inside the camper. Have never used the heater, I do start it once a month while in storage here at home.
Our camper is a 2018 model and I did notice the sealer on some spots on top starting to crack, I thought it stayed soft. Wondering if I should scrape it off and reseal or just clean it dry it, tape it and use the self leveling stuff that came with the camper. It's lap sealant self-leveling white. number on tube is 501LSVY. I did use some when I installed a cover on the bedroom fan.

How you been Bruce?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #11

Name: Beth
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Maryland
Bigfoot Shower Skylight

We are interested in the Bigfoot 25B25RT

We do not like the skylights either. The dining/galley skylight we would probably put a Fantastic Fan Vent there instead. Since the windows are sliders, during rain, it would be nice to have the Vent.

We would like to not have the skylight inside the shower. Does anybody have the shower with no skylight and a picture to post?

How tall is the shower from shower pan to ceiling.

We also do not want the roll away shower door.

Congrats on your new Bigfoot!

Thank you
Brad-Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
I like the skylights. The one in the shower provides a huge amount of light in what would otherwise be a dark, enclosed area. Both skylights are better quality than what I typically see in other trailers and ours have had no issues in 13 years.

The single fantastic fan in the rear has worked fine for ventilation. I installed the extra exterior vent cover so that the fan lid can be wide open in any weather. You still need to crack a window to provide return air, but the rain hasn't been a problem.

Our trailer came from the factory with Plas-t-cote sealant on all roof fixtures. Every few years I scrub it clean and brush a new coat on top.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #13

Name: Rob
Trailer: 2020 BigFoot 25RQ
Colorado
Hi GeoFish,

We were at Trailer World yesterday. We have a Bigfoot 25RQ, and we love it! We came very close to purchasing an Oliver, really well-made trailers. But we travel with two dogs and the BF certainly has more space. We have owned popups, other travel trailers, a fifth wheel travel trailer, and most recently a Leisure Travel B plus van. The Bigfoot is our favorite.

The ironic thing is that although we live in Denver, we had to go to Canada (north of Seattle) to purchase our Bigfoot. Trailer World was sold out.

Since then, we paid Trailer World to do a solar installation on our Bigfoot. We can't say enough positive things about Trailer World. Family-owned business operating out of very modest building and location, but it is my understanding that they are the biggest dealership for Bigfoot by quite a margin. Really great people.
Moots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #14

Name: Darryl
Wisconsin
We love our 2008 25B21 for the past six years. I’ve done dozens of remods including moving the house battery off the tongue, to over the axle. The skylight in the living area is a huge PLUS bonus of natural lighting. I’ve inspected the skylight design, construction and installation and in my opinion it’s “bullet proof!” The extended tongue length and exterior storage box is actually a large improvement in design dynamics as it effectively moves the Bigfoot axle to hitch length back TWO feet.
DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #15

Name: Dean
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
I have been extensively evaluating the Oliver and BF. Here are some items not previously discussed.

The warranty of the Oliver and the factory support blow away BFs.
The frame on the Oliver is aluminum and has a 10 year warranty.
The hull on the Oliver has a life warranty.
There is very no plywood in an Oliver to go to crap after a leak.
The dexter suspension on the Ollie is better than BF.
The plumbing set up is better than BF.
The BF has a larger furnace, but no Truma Water heater option.
The black/gray water outlet location and the black hose store is good feature on the Ollie.
All the tanks in an Ollie are inside the hull and can be removed if needed without removing the hull from the frame.
The BF is marginally less expensive than an Ollie.
The Ollie owners seem to be always tweeting the trailer to make it better.

With that said, I have yet to read of a BF 25B25 owner buy an Oliver, but the are plenty of Oliver owners who have changed to BF because the Ollie is rather tight living.

I don’t know if a BF has the resale demand of an Ollie.
Dean Vorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #16

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot 2003
Texas
Bigfoot running gear

We have a 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ, very comfortable, pulled it all over, from Key West to Seattle. Bought it used in 2015. Previous owner bragged at sale that he had replaced the factory axles with heavy duty axles. Down the road we had tired edge wear= bent axle. I replaced axles and it happened again. We do travel with full water tank and well stocked rig, about 7400 lbs on two 3500 axles so they were overloaded. Had the running gear (hangers, springs, axles, 6 lug wheels, load range E tires) replaced with two 5000 lbs axles at Southwest Wheel in San Antonio, TX. So far no more problems.
Vicki Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #17

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Vorhees View Post
I have been extensively evaluating the Oliver and BF. Here are some items not previously discussed.

The warranty of the Oliver and the factory support blow away BFs.
The frame on the Oliver is aluminum and has a 10 year warranty.
The hull on the Oliver has a life warranty.
There is very no plywood in an Oliver to go to crap after a leak.
The dexter suspension on the Ollie is better than BF.
The plumbing set up is better than BF.
The BF has a larger furnace, but no Truma Water heater option.
The black/gray water outlet location and the black hose store is good feature on the Ollie.
All the tanks in an Ollie are inside the hull and can be removed if needed without removing the hull from the frame.
The BF is marginally less expensive than an Ollie.
The Ollie owners seem to be always tweeting the trailer to make it better.

With that said, I have yet to read of a BF 25B25 owner buy an Oliver, but the are plenty of Oliver owners who have changed to BF because the Ollie is rather tight living.

I don’t know if a BF has the resale demand of an Ollie.

Dean

I don’t want to start an argument, but I said I would give both a 10 on build quality. I was in the HVAC business and I looked at all of the items most people don’t. How the wiring was run, how the plumbing was run, how easy is it to service items. Furnace, water pump etc.
These are my responses;
Yes, having the Oliver factory only 4 hours way is a big plus, I do not know what the Bigfoot warranty is, I didn’t even ask, since I do not care. I looked and made my decision based on the quality of the trailer.
Aluminum or steel frame?? Well every truck, car RV, car hauler, utility or boat trailer I have ever owned, had a steel frame and I never had an issue with any of them. You can make the argument that one or the other is better, but this is no reason to buy one over the other. Also, Aluminum flexes more than steel, not a good thing on a trailer frame.
Warranties are only good if the manufacture is still in business. Warranties are usually marketing gimmicks. Who’s life? The trailer or owner? What is the life of the trailer, per federal law, 7 years after the model is out of production.
Bigfoots do not leak! Just kidding, I don’t know if they have plywood or not. I think the inside floor is fiberglass. Maybe someone else can help with this.
Both trailers use the Dexter axels with the E-Z Flex and Dexter shock kit. They both use first rate wheels and tires. Oliver has chosen to use truck tires, where Bigfoot is using Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, which I feel is a better choice.
Not sure why you think the plumbing is better in an Oliver? The tanks in a Bigfoot are located below the main hull. They are covered with removable insulated fiberglass covers underneath the trailer. You do not need to remove the shell from the frame. The Bigfoot tanks are muck easier to service if the need arises. Try and remove an Oliver tank. Also look at the serviceability of the Bigfoot furnace. Removable from the outside.
Yes, one brand may have features the other does not, but this may not be a major deciding factor. (the Bigfoot has a powered awing, who cares).
PS: I do not want a Truma water heater.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #18

Ohio
Quote:
Dean

I don’t want to start an argument, but I said I would give both a 10 on build quality. I was in the HVAC business and I looked at all of the items most people don’t. How the wiring was run, how the plumbing was run, how easy is it to service items. Furnace, water pump etc.
These are my responses;
Yes, having the Oliver factory only 4 hours way is a big plus, I do not know what the Bigfoot warranty is, I didn’t even ask, since I do not care. I looked and made my decision based on the quality of the trailer.
Aluminum or steel frame?? Well every truck, car RV, car hauler, utility or boat trailer I have ever owned, had a steel frame and I never had an issue with any of them. You can make the argument that one or the other is better, but this is no reason to buy one over the other. Also, Aluminum flexes more than steel, not a good thing on a trailer frame.
Warranties are only good if the manufacture is still in business. Warranties are usually marketing gimmicks. Who’s life? The trailer or owner? What is the life of the trailer, per federal law, 7 years after the model is out of production.
Bigfoots do not leak! Just kidding, I don’t know if they have plywood or not. I think the inside floor is fiberglass. Maybe someone else can help with this.
Both trailers use the Dexter axels with the E-Z Flex and Dexter shock kit. They both use first rate wheels and tires. Oliver has chosen to use truck tires, where Bigfoot is using Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, which I feel is a better choice.
Not sure why you think the plumbing is better in an Oliver? The tanks in a Bigfoot are located below the main hull. They are covered with removable insulated fiberglass covers underneath the trailer. You do not need to remove the shell from the frame. The Bigfoot tanks are muck easier to service if the need arises. Try and remove an Oliver tank. Also look at the serviceability of the Bigfoot furnace. Removable from the outside.
Yes, one brand may have features the other does not, but this may not be a major deciding factor. (the Bigfoot has a powered awing, who cares).
PS: I do not want a Truma water heater.
For a purchase I would opt for the BF as the storage and interior is larger. For ease of maintenance I would chose the Ollie.

Both trailers can and do leak. The big difference is what gets damaged when they leak. BF interior walls are wood vs all fiberglass in the Ollie. Steel frame require painting, aluminum doesn’t need painting.

Neither of us are wanting to start an argument. The trailers are quite different and I was trying to highlight some of those diffferences.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2019 Bigfoot 25 foot rear twin
Maine
No one else mentioned that the Bigfoot has a much larger refrigerator, but that was a factor in our decision to opt for a Bigfoot over an Oliver. Also the difference in price is more then "negligible". We saved about $8,000 by buying a Bigfoot instead of a comparably equipped, but smaller Oliver. Much larger tanks, nicer kitchen, nicer twin beds, "warm" inviting interior, dry bath, roomier due to being one foot wider, five person dinette (we have accommodated 6 at ours), all of these were factors. Oh, and by the way, we love the skylights in the shower and living room.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #20

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Maine View Post
No one else mentioned that the Bigfoot has a much larger refrigerator, but that was a factor in our decision to opt for a Bigfoot over an Oliver. Also the difference in price is more then "negligible". We saved about $8,000 by buying a Bigfoot instead of a comparably equipped, but smaller Oliver. Much larger tanks, nicer kitchen, nicer twin beds, "warm" inviting interior, dry bath, roomier due to being one foot wider, five person dinette (we have accommodated 6 at ours), all of these were factors. Oh, and by the way, we love the skylights in the shower and living room.
Just wondering, do you loss or gain much heat through the skylights?

Tags
bigfoot