Bigger Oliver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Bigger Oliver

Ron Merritt sold his 2015 Oliver 23.5 seemingly without much trouble. The reason for selling was stated as needing more room, which I can certainly understand. There are times I would like my Oliver to be about a foot longer and wider...more like the small Airstream. At the very least there are three things that would make life easier as I move into the land of arthritis.

(1) a larger, elevated refrigerator. The four CF floor level reefer is just not what a $50,000 trailer should have. For heavens sake, Escape has a great reefer that you can even stand up to get things in and out.

(2) A separate shower. I don't mind the public showers, but it would be nice to have a shower in my own head without having to mop down all the walls afterward.

(3) A dinette that will seat four grown ups.

Let's be honest. When Oliver designed their trailers they just copied what was already on the market and made them beefier and a little more jazzed up. (Think Casita floor plan) I know there is a market for these trailers (I own one) but where is the next evolution in molded fiberglass trailers? Will we see a slide?

Ron should have been able to move up in a fiberglass trailer, but other than Bigfoot there are none to be had. I imagine we will be in a Flying Cloud before too many years.

Just sayin'.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just wait for the rumored new Bigfoot 28 footer...or find an old Bigfoot 28' Silver Cloud!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

Florida
A 28 footer. Wow. That get's my attention.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #4

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
The Bigfoots are nice on the inside and their floor plans the last time we looked into them beat the Air Streams hands down, not even close. Granted the Airstreams are "stylin" but under serious considerations they just didn't cut it at least for us. Repairing dents, hail storm damage, constant pop rivet replacements, hot in the summer, cold in winter, sweat on the inside, I could go on but…

Bigfoots are true 4 season campers if this is meaningful, Airstream not even close. They don't even use insulated windows like Oliver, BF and optional Escape's. But at 28 ft you'll need a different tow vehicle, probably even with the 25 ft, but same could be said for a Flying Cloud too. Also the Bigfoot's like Oliver's are noticeably quieter on the inside from extraneous noise outside. Dual pane windows and dual shell does make a difference.

Good luck with your choice, but for us we love the Oliver. No regrets what so ever, other than the price of admission.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
No regrets what so ever, other than the price of admission.

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Florida
Rob. Likewise we also love our Ollie. Just wishing for a little more room.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have to ask.... with the "backlog" of most of the major FG manufacturers, why would they want to design anything else?? I LOVE the idea of a slideout on a FG trailer (more to give trouble though), but I dont see it happening.

Think about it, the "best" FG manufacturer (IMHO) of the middle of the road FG- Escapes- are NOW enlarging their factory JUST to keep up with the trailers they DO build. They're about a year's backlog with them. Can you imagine them building a 21'er with a slideout?????
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Montana
I agree with Darral, just don't see it happening with slide outs for FG campers. The additional room they provide is appealing without a doubt but there is a downside too. Weight, mechanical-electrical failures, leaks and excessive wind noise from the roll out roof protection.

Before we finally bellied up to the bar for the Oliver we gave some serious consideration to Lance campers which I believe to be the best built conventional travel trailer on the market. While they look like a stick built, they are anything but using some very forward thinking and advanced manufacturing techniques in their new state of the art plant in CA. But even Lance has some quality control issues and a good portion of them are related to their slide-outs. You probably don't see a lot of them back east, but if you ever get the chance and you are truly considering a change the Lance is one to be considered. They certainly don't have the curb appeal of the Air Streams but in every other regard I tend to think its a superior camper, and for half the cost. Seriously you can go inside one of these things and slam your fist into any wall or ceiling and its solid as a rock, no flex at all. Try that on any stick built made with 1/8" Luan on the interiors and your fist will go right through it.

We've come to the conclusion there is NO perfect camper mass produced so inevitably there will be some compromises.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

We love the Oliver! (not that because we live 30 miles from the factory has anything to do with it ) But they're truly a "quality" trailer.

On the OTHER hand, they put alot of high $$ stuff on there that I feel they could drop down and make it more affordable to others. Stainless fixtures, Bose systems, aluminum wheels....some of that could drop prices. But, I'm thinking Oliver wants a "classy" trailer and possibly wouldnt compromise.

Ok..that was the other hand...now THIS hand, my wife doesnt like the "narrow" isles and there in lies the problem with FG trailers. Ironically, with the layout of my 13' Scamp, the isle is wider than most FG trailers- the Oliver included.

You're 100% right Rob- there's NO perfectly trailer. If it was, it'd cost a million or more... ... and somebody STILL wouldnt be happy

Quote:
I agree with Darral, just don't see it happening with slide outs for FG campers. The additional room they provide is appealing without a doubt but there is a downside too. Weight, mechanical-electrical failures, leaks and excessive wind noise from the roll out roof protection.

We've come to the conclusion there is NO perfect camper mass produced so inevitably there will be some compromises.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The perfect trailer is the one that's perfect for YOU. I found mine, I hope everyone else does too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

So you have done absolutely NOTHING to the trailer since purchasing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The perfect trailer is the one that's perfect for YOU. I found mine, I hope everyone else does too
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

On the OTHER hand, they put alot of high $$ stuff on there that I feel they could drop down and make it more affordable to others. Stainless fixtures, Bose systems, aluminum wheels....some of that could drop prices. But, I'm thinking Oliver wants a "classy" trailer and possibly wouldnt compromise.

Ok..that was the other hand...now THIS hand, my wife doesnt like the "narrow" isles and there in lies the problem with FG trailers. Ironically, with the layout of my 13' Scamp, the isle is wider than most FG trailers- the Oliver included.
Just for the record I applaud them for their standard quality items, especially things like SS hardware. These things are built to last a lifetime, and I also love the aluminum wheels and believe them to be superior to steel based rims, just MHO. We didn't get a Bose sound system however but being a life long audiophile doubt that would have meant much as we don't spend anytime watching TV or movies while on our adventures.

As far as I know I don't believe there is a shortage of orders for the company, which would imply they are doing the right thing so far.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #13

Also for the record Rob, they were one of the only FG manufacturers to suspend building of the trailers in Jan. of '09 for lack of sales. What if they HAD built a smaller "sport" trailer to keep it going? I've even inquired of them to do so. Oh yeah, I know the guys and we have done work for them on the "shower inserts" in our shop here.

They're a super company and I"m not knocking what they do...just wish they could endeavor to build a "sport" trailer for us guys that just wont jump for that kind of investment. I hate to say it, but I feel the current owners would/will push to maintain the current sport-no-build segregation as basically AirStream does in their class. Although, A.S. DOES build a "sport" model (smaller)- still very $$. Once I think they had the "Bambi". Nice trailer but I like the Oliver better. I felt like I was in a high-class "Icebox" with all the aluminum interior with the one I visited. I just didnt like it.

Quote:
Just for the record I applaud them for their standard quality items, especially things like SS hardware. These things are built to last a lifetime, and I also love the aluminum wheels and believe them to be superior to steel based rims, just MHO. We didn't get a Bose sound system however but being a life long audiophile doubt that would have meant much as we don't spend anytime watching TV or movies while on our adventures.

As far as I know I don't believe there is a shortage of orders for the company, which would imply they are doing the right thing so far.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #14

Montana
Darral are you saying the company now has new owners and not the Oliver family? I wonder because just yesterday I learned that Robert Partee recently left the company and Alicia sometime before the end of last year.

I am aware of the suspension, and not trying to justify it but unlike the other companies making FG trailers Oliver only had less than 50 of them at that time on the road. Barely an unknown company at the time, while Scamp, Casita, Escape had been in business for decades. But from what I was told by a local dealer that sold Bigfoot's they also pulled the plug during this time.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #15

1st- you are right! BF did drop out...in fact I thought they went out of business and reopened...not sure on that.

No...as far as I know, the Olivers still own it. I really hate to hear that Robert left. He's brought the demo Oliver to the Piney (LBL) rally near Dover, TN 2 or 3 times. He didnt this past year (October 2015) and I wondered why. Something must have been amiss then. Havent met Alicia.

Quote:
Darral are you saying the company now has new owners and not the Oliver family? I wonder because just yesterday I learned that Robert Partee recently left the company and Alicia sometime before the end of last year.

I am aware of the suspension, and not trying to justify it but unlike the other companies making FG trailers Oliver only had less than 50 of them at that time on the road. Barely an unknown company at the time, while Scamp, Casita, Escape had been in business for decades. But from what I was told by a local dealer that sold Bigfoot's they also pulled the plug during this time.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #16

Montana
Alicia was the petite blonde (nice lady) that he hired first as a sales assistant I'm guessing by now a couple of years ago. We worked with both of them during the build and decision making process but mostly Robert. Anyway hate to hear both are now gone. No idea whats up with that.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
I believe Alicia's husband took a job in another town which is why she left. Robert moved to Hohenwald to raise his boys in a small town, family friendly atmosphere. It worked well for them, and the boys are off to college. I think his decision to depart involved his long term plans for his retirement years . .

They were both quality employees and the current sales team of Anita and Karen are striving to please customers just as Robert and Alicia did.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Nope, nothing other than packing and rearranging several times and throwing down rugs. I haven't hung anything on the walls or anything... that doesn't mean I won't. I've still got some plans I'm noodling to make a few permanent mods. But I'm perfectly happy with the trailer just the way it is. But you must remember Escape allows a whole bunch of customization during the build.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:
Whenever Donna D. Does incorporate one of her mods, she'll simply be making a perfect trailer perfecter.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Escape does a long list of custom items. We sent them a bunch of things in addition to what they already have for options. They did an excellent job of installation on our exterior lights, table legs and bases, faucet, fabric. Also had our own flooring, counters and more. They only build custom-built trailers for each buyer.

Of course, people then do other things which is whatever Escape does not do or whatever you don't want to pay for, or items that are better done by you.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver