Boating while camping. What do you do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #21

Name: Stan
Trailer: Shopping
South Carolina
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2196836200.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	52335
Scubastan48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #22

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
When we bought our Ventura we planned to put the canoe on the Element, as we had done for many years. However we rapidly discovered that the canoe (freighter size) was too long to allow the camper to make corners! We traded for a smaller canoe. Have since added one of those small kayaks from Canadian Tyre and they travel side by side quite nicely.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Hey, thanks everyone. I thought there would be a bunch of boaters out there. Really appreciate all the responses. Right now I'm thinking a tandem kayak on the roof of my TV (2011 Toyota Sienna). The other option is to go with a folding kayak from Folbot and keep it in the back of the Sienna.

Ron in BC, yes, I saw the sail kit from www.kayaksailor.com. I am an avid sailor and this quality kit really has me stoked. As you say, camping on the water without being able to be out on the water is pure torture.

I look forward to more input. Maybe we should think about an "camp and boat" outing somewhere?? Bet we'd get a big turn out.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ron, as a long time kayaker I have to say those new sail kits look mighty fine indeed!!!

Something for folks to keep in mind when carrying items on the roofs of their tows is a number car manufactures racks are not rated to actually carry the load of two boats.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you would like to see one of the finest and most versatile small boats available, which is light, has a high capacity, and can be transported well while towing a small fiberglass trailer, then look here....

Portland Pudgy safety dinghy, inflatable boat, or fiberglass dinghy?
Attached Thumbnails
Portland%20Pudgy%20yacht%20tender%20PM.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our Scamp 19 makes boats on the tow vehicle a challenge unless they're the short whitewater kayaks. The canoe goes on the trailer.

www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #27

Name: chris
Trailer: 1976 13' trillium
British Columbia
When I painted my trailer I had some extra paint so I decided to match my 30 year old canoe with my 36 year old trailer. We love using it but it sure can be a pain sometimes. My wife is only 5' tall so I am on my own with this baby on and off the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2912.jpg  
chris loewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #28

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I have an Emotion Glide kayak (a little over 9' long) that fits nicely inside my '02 Dodge Grand Caravan, either with the rear 2 club seats and bench seat removed, or with them folded down. If the seats are removed, then my bike fits in there as well.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Camp/sailing

We used to tow our 20' Balboa when we tent camped. We liked Peninsula State Park in Door County Wisconsin because we could park the boat on the trailer in the campsite.
Now, the sailboat is sold and we camp in our Trillium.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #30

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I"m changing the back window on my 19' scamp to throw my 3 kayaks inside.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
This past summer I traveled with a kayak on the Highlander's roof and a bike inside the vehicle. I found that I used and enjoyed the bike much more than the kayak. So I sold the kayak.

If I were to buy another watercraft, the NuCanoe is high on my list. Not too heavy, not too expensive.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another canoe on tow vehicle person here.

Jim can you describe the front bar you mounted for carrying the canoe. I will also have a setup like yours with my 2010 Pilot, 19' Escape and 17' Canoe. My 19'ter is on the road right now being delivered here. Steve
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Jim can you describe the front bar you mounted for carrying the canoe. I will also have a setup like yours with my 2010 Pilot, 19' Escape and 17' Canoe. My 19'ter is on the road right now being delivered here. Steve
I went to Racks Unlimited, and bought a Yakima rack for the front. Any Yakima supplier can outfit you with the appropriate stands, pads and clips. I would recommend getting a set of gunwale brackets too, as they eliminate any tendency for the boat to shift sideways, and keep it perfectly stable.

While we have enjoyed our '09 Pilot a lot for 4 1/2 years now, probably the most frustrating thing is the stupid factory roof racks, and the fact the crossbars are real close together, and at the very rear.

This additional rack solves the problem nicely though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another idea
The origami-inspired folding kayak – What's Next - CNN.com Blogs
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #35

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Does anyone have experience with inflatable kayaks? I appologize if it was covered in this thread. I just quickly scanned and didn't see it.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
We have 2 inflatable kayaks (an AdvancedFrame 13' and Dragonfly 2 by Advanced Elements). We've had them for about 5 years. Have used them a lot and they perform well, are well made and more durable than most people expect.
We are somewhat nomadic and would not be able to transport and store a hard shell kayak on our frequent moves and in apartment dwellings.
I researched inflatable kayaks quite a bit before deciding on Advanced Elements because of price, looks and design. For their price, I think they perform better than many common entry-level hard shell kayaks. They do have a few limitations for experienced kayakers, but we are very happy with ours.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #37

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Advanced Elements Inflatables

I'll second Evan's recommendation for the line of Advanced Elements Kayaks.
I've had the single inflatable model for several years now, and I highly recommend it. Very good quality, and it paddles well. Super easy to transport, as it folds down to suitcase size.

Fran
Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #38

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Friesen View Post
I researched inflatable kayaks quite a bit before deciding on Advanced Elements because of price, looks and design. For their price, I think they perform better than many common entry-level hard shell kayaks. They do have a few limitations for experienced kayakers, but we are very happy with ours.
Thanks Evan for the info. Just what I was looking for having researched and have several years of experiience with it too. I like the idea that it doesn't take up much room or have to put on the roof. I'll look into this brand.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
With our Tundra there is plenty of room for me to just stick our two kayaks in the truck bed. I bought short kayaks, (less than 9' long), so they don't interfere with towing our EggCamper at all.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We use Yakima racks on our tow vehicles. We can switch the crossbars from one vehicle to the other as needed, so we only have the one set of crossbars. One accessory we find very useful is the Yakima boat loader, which slides out of whichever crossbar you add it to, and extends out the side to allow easier loading.
Attached Thumbnails
100_7361 (1204 x 903).jpg   PICT0268.jpg  

100_0103.jpg   100_0104.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote