Boler 1700 ground clearance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 17 ft Boler
British Columbia
Boler 1700 ground clearance

Can anyone tell me the stock ground clearance on a 1978 17ft boler? Has anyone lifted one? And if so what was a respectable hieght? I'm just think a couple inches max. Any picture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help
Scottbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Hello Scott,

To begin, on many 40 year old trailers, the spring/axle setup has been modified or replaced. For example, many replace the drop axle with a straight axle. Many replace the springs.

Anyway here is my 1979 Boler 1700 setup (EDITED):

- its a drop axle so the trailer can't be raised 4-5" by simply flipping the axle over and moving it from above the leaf springs to below the leaf springs
- instead [previous owner actually did this] the drop axle can be re-located from above to below the leaf springs, and the spring perches moved (and re-welded) from above the axle to below the axle
- the resulting height was STILL pretty low (coupler height about 13 inches) because the springs were worn out

I recently had the leaf springs replaced, and this raised the trailer 4 to 5 inches!!

If you have the same size leaf springs (3-leaf, 23 1/8 inches from bolt center to bolt center) and they need replacing, I would recommend replacing with UNIVERSAL 23.13" Double Eye Leaf Spring (3 leaves / 1750 lb.) #UNA-216 or equivalent.

If your axle has already been moved below the springs or replaced with a straight axle, and if the leaf springs have already been replaced, another option is to add a 2-4" spacer between each spring set and the axle [using longer u bolts].

John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
ride hight

mine has a stright a axle it was easy.just put the springs on top side of the axle .ball hight and bumper around 16 inches.the sewer clean out whent form 4 inches to 8 inches of ground clearance..no more bumper spsrks lol
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler