Boler, Bugs & Babies Going Bump in the Night... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
We just got back from our first weekend in the Boler. Just backyard parking in the middle of the woods at my Dad's old farm in Haliburton Highlands, Ontario, Canada. No water, outhouse down the way, but we did have AC to run our bar fridge, lights and heater. Can't really call it a success, despite our best efforts at keeping the door closed, the hot humid weather produced a multitude of mosquitoes, half of which ended up in the Boler.

Saturday afernoon, temps reached a high of 32C, hot, humid and sticky, but during the night fell to around 13C. My wife and almost 2yr old slept in the main bed while I tested the coffin-like lower bunk bed up front. Those bunks are obviously designed for people other than 6'1” 200lb men, I didn't have room to raise my knees and getting in and out required a few contortionist type moves. I tend to toss and turn from side to side during the night and each turn required several jumping/turning type moves. Our Boler is one of the original flat roofed ones and never had insulation installed, my wife and son were quite comfortable with a light down duvet, but I only had a small lap duvet so my feet ended up freezing most of the night.

Woke up the next morning and felt pretty good, the original cushions, despite being almost 40 years old were actually quite comfortable, and we all had a pretty good nights sleep.

Next day, I decided there was no way I could re-live my previous nights coffin experience so I removed the 6 screws holding the front couch/upper bunch and threw it in the van, major difference, I had room to bend my knees, lounge, prop up the pillows to read... I thought I'd be in for a great night. Unfortunately, the evening was very buggy and we all went to bed with many bites. Our son who is normally in bed by 9pm was wide awake until about midnight. I'd just dosed off when I was awakened by a big thump followed by very loud screaming. It was pitch black but I knew instantly that our son had fallen off the bed. It took me a few seconds to find the flashlight and scoop him up, but luckily he hadn't hit anything on the way down and was no worse for the wear.

Unfortunately, the excitement of his cool new house, the adrenaline from his fall, and the constant buzz of mosquitoes kept him wide awake the rest of the night.

Inside temperatures again got down to about 13C and I noticed a lot of condensation on the ceiling so I decided to try out the little electric heater. It worked great, keeping the temperature up around 17 cycling on and off on the low setting. Unfortunately, every time the heater cycled on, a new batch of voracious mosquitoes awakened. The inside of our Boler is now stained with the blood of many mosquitoes, or rather, make that my blood from the last meal of many mosquitoes.

My next project will definitely be some sort of screen door or screened in awning.

Other than that, the Boler was great, towed very nicely behind my van and I can't wait to get it really set up for future trips.

Kevin

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
oh, forgot to add the part about my wife declaring this the worst night ever, not just the worst camping night, but the worst night ever period.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Other than that, the Boler was great, towed very nicely behind my van and [b]I can't wait to get it really set up for future trips.

Kevin
Quote:
oh, forgot to add the part about my wife declaring this the worst night ever, not just the worst camping night, but the worst night ever [b]period.
Sooo... what did you have to promise her to join you on these future trips?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
the hot humid weather produced a multitude of mosquitoes, half of which ended up in the Boler.
You need to get yourself one of those electronic mosquito racquets. There's nothing like them to clean up an eggful of mosquitoes in no time. You can also watch them explode as a bonus.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
I'll second that idea about the electronic handheld bug zappers. We have one for our house and one for the Trill, and get great pleasure out of watching the mosquitos, flies, etc. spark and die.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use a First Up screen house that we put up against the trailer like a porch. Thus far, it has kept bugs numbers down. Then inside, we set up a thing I bought at Walmart that is a light to attract them and a fan to pull them in. In the morning, you can let them go or kill them.

CindyL
Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #7

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Oh yes,
Our first night was similiar! Bugs, and a very excited baby who wouldn't sleep!
We did however, put a piece of netting (like from a boat deck) across the front bed to keep her in. With her dolls and blankets all around she grew to love her little spot. (A piece of wood works well too).
Good Luck!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Those bunks are obviously designed for people other than 6'1” 200lb men,
Nope. I am 5ft 1 and 110.. I have no trouble sleeping up there

The screen door was a special bonus in my 17. I still get the occasional rogue bug.. but the cat takes care of em!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
You are way ahead of the game; I did not wise up to fibreglass trailers until our kids were almost too old to want to come with us. You will get better at it as you go along. Stick with it until everyone settles in; time spent together camping is very precious family time. You will look back and be glad of it.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler