Books on the Road - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #21

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
California
I do not have a television on my trailer, so it's books or nothing! My husband & I never throw away our books, so I use to bring along my husbands old paper back thrillers & suspense novels. I found that other people I met on the hunt dog circuit appreciated these books being passed along.

Now my husband & I have Kindles, which I bought because I begun to worry that any additional book purchases would destroy our home's foundation. I do use Bookbob - but there is usually a reason their books are free. Amazon also lets you borrow books (free to Prime member; monthly fee for non Prime).

When shopping for newly published works, I look at NY Times book review section. I also check out books that have won or are on the short list for annual awards (Pulitzer, Edger Allen Poe, National Book Award, Mann Booker Prize). I have unsuccessfully tried to get my friends & family to share the names of books they particularly like. We are willing, but just don't remember to follow through.

One of the best things about eReaders is that you can read a huge (800 page plus) book on a 7 oz device. And so, I have downloaded oldie's but goodies like Don Quixote, War & Peace, Anna Karenina, Great Expectations, etc. These classics are usually free, and they are quite good. (If I'm camping for several weeks, it really doesn't matter how long they take to read.)

The other nice thing about Amazon is that if you mistakenly try to buy a previously purchased book, they will let you know before the transaction is complete.

If you don't own an eReader, Amazon usually discounts their Paperwhite & Kindle eReaders around Mother's Day. So, check out the site over the next 2-3 weeks. Staples also puts these products on sale this time of year.

Now I realize not everyone feels comfortable using an eReader. I did question if I could tolerate reading from a screen. But I was pleasantly surprised with it. In fact I prefer using a Kindle instead of a hard copy novel. I also prefer the Kindle over my iPad. Things like cook books are better in hard copy form.