Boondocking in a Base Oliver LE II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: In a buying mood
Maryland
Boondocking in a Base Oliver LE II

I'm strongly considering an Oliver LE II, but the base price is really high, even without the many available upgrades.

How long do you think it's possible to boondock with a base LE II with few or no upgrades?
Keithinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's completely dependent on how you camp. If you don't use your wastewater tanks, have a generator or solar and don't mind taking the truck into town to resupply, you can last years.

So, how do you plan to use it? I have a Bigfoot, not Oliver, but for reference, if I'm using my trailer like a house: taking a shower every other day, doing dishes, cooking, occasionally using the toilet, I can make it 7-8 days before my grey water tank is full, and black water is getting close. Propane easily lasts me a month, using the water heater, stove and sometimes oven.

I have solar, but I easily went 7 days once with no solar, and my battery did fine. But I didn't run fans and didn't need the furnace.

Anyway, if you don't have a way to charge the battery, then you're limited by battery capacity and waste tank capacity. You can replenish fresh water without bringing the trailer into town. Same with propane and food. But when your waste tanks are full, it's time to pull the trailer into town.

But it varies. You could fill your tanks then just stop using them. Go to the bathroom and do dishes outside. You can go indefinitely. So it really depends on how you plan to camp.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The Oliver is a great trailer for boondocking because it is an efficient design and very comfortable. It has a good fridge, large battery capacity and a large pantry. For power, you can add a suitcase solar and plug it into the batteries easily from the outside. It's easy to carry cases of drinking water in the truck.

The problem, as with so many trailers, is holding tank size, but you may be near a dump station, or can find one every week or two.

You may find that many of the available "upgrades" don't suit your use and are not needed, such as the faux granite counter tops, the inverter, the cell booster, the electronic locks, the second awning, the Truma water heater, the Easy Start, or any battery upgrades. The base Oliver is pretty nice.

But add a suitcase solar, or the rooftop solar.

I suppose everybody "boondocks" differently, so not sure what your style is.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Two options to consider if you’re going to boondock a lot. The solar package and the composting toilet. If you go without those, then just plan on having a generator to charge when needed and periodic dumping of the black tank. It’s 18 gallons, I wish it was bigger. Agree with John, it also depends on how you like to camp.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #5

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
The two most important decisions you'll make in selecting a trailer/RV are:
1. How many seasons do you plan on using it?
2. Will it be confined to improved roads or be required to operate on unmimproved roads or off roads too?
With your answers to these two crutial questions, I can advise a course of action.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

Name: Keith
Trailer: In a buying mood
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
The two most important decisions you'll make in selecting a trailer/RV are:
1. How many seasons do you plan on using it?
2. Will it be confined to improved roads or be required to operate on unmimproved roads or off roads too?
With your answers to these two crutial questions, I can advise a course of action.
1. Four seasons
2. All kinds of roads
Keithinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Consider a CleanWaste or similar toilet.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithinator View Post
1. Four seasons
2. All kinds of roads

1. Oliver or Bigfoot

2. I own an Oliver so its capabilities are all I could speak to. We done plenty of off road and back country camping in the Western USA. For example, in Joshua Tree camping is pretty much allowed anywhere you can get to. There are many places you can just drive off the pavement and out into the desert. They do ask you to primarily stick to places that it's obvious that others have been as opposed to just blazing your own trail. We did get stuck in some deep sand while turning around once. A little patience and a lot of finessing got us out. I probably would not attempt pulling it down the entirety of the 26 mile-long primitive Old Ore Road in Big Bend but there are many parts of it that would be accessible.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Don't forget Safeway parking lot in Dillon MT! Hardcore stuff.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #10

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Don't forget Safeway parking lot in Dillon MT! Hardcore stuff.

That's right! And it was not nearly as rough as the night in a Domino's Pizza parking lot in Raton, NM.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2150-1.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Boondocking has a very different connotation in Australia. Cannot see an Old Style Egg Camper surving for very long on the roads or lack of rhem in Australia. Tpes of Boondocking outlined in the previous posts should be OK for an Egg Camper
These days it is more like rhis for a young family of 5
https://youtu.be/D-vBTXiGhDM
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
51:39 video.
Not a chance.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Yes a very different world here