Boondocking in a natural disaster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
Boondocking in a natural disaster

Ever happen to you ? Betty and I were caught in a big storm on Lake Ouachita in Arkansas. Since then we have talked about how we might be better prepared, and we wonder how others would have responded to such a happening. Your input will be appreciated. Here is a link to the photos of us cutting our way out, a link to a video of the damage and a link to the Channel 11 news interview with us about the event.
Big Storm on the Lake ยป Oliver Travel Trailers
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #2

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I carry one of these. It folds so it doesn't take that much space, plus it could be used as a weapon.

Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We also carry a folding saw though not the weapon of choice. Too close for an older couple.

We have become 'Mormon like' in our preparation.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
The folding saw looks like a good tool to have on board, but I don't think I could prepare for any and all eventualities. We always carry a little extra food and we could easily boondock on a moment's notice. If there were a flood I'd like to have one of these FGRVs. Sealander Amphibious RV Sealander - Schwimmcaravan - Grenzenlos mobil on Vimeo

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A friend of ours got trapped in an ice storm in Emporia Kansas for 3 days . The electric power was out in the area and he had to rely on the trailer's battery for power .After less than 2 days his battery was dead so he could not run any lights or any appliances .( Read Furnace) A solar battery charger would really come in handy in such an emergency
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Check out www.readinessliving.org

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #7

Florida
I am not paranoid about it but we believe in being prepared because 'it' happens. In our lifetime 'the 100 year flood' has happened a number of times.

We do carry a million gallon water filter with us at all times, a gift.

In addition we have a significant backup food supply in our homes. Obviously our trailer can not carry a lot of food but in a pinch I think we could eat sparsely from our trailer for a couple of weeks. Ginny always has her emergency Spam supply, usually we have a couple of pounds of smoked salmon, and always beans for soup.

In reality it is not very expensive to be prepared for a few month long emergency.
Electrically our trailer is relatively well prepared for these issues with it's 80 watt solar panel. At home we have a small generator and a 120 watt solar panel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #8

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
"I am not paranoid about it but we believe in being prepared because 'it' happens. In our lifetime 'the 100 year flood' has happened a number of times."

Darn Norm, I would have sworn you were in your early seventies!

In answer to the OP, living down close to the Gulf, we have had to bug out several times because major storms had us in their sights. Regardless of the damage we have suffered, one time really major, we always come back to no power, and many times to reduced water pressure or boil notices. In these situations, our camping experience and equipment is invaluable. In hurricane season, we are always prepared with extra food and water for about 2 weeks. Chainsaw and generator are primed and ready, with extra fuel on hand............and of course now we have our 'bug out' trailer.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

Florida
Cliff,

We'll be 72 in August, When I was mayor of a small time I remember the feds coming with their maps to show us the 100 year flood water line. In my lifetime that town had already had three 100 year floods.

We'll become more concerned about hurricanes when we own a building in FL though it has been 8 years since the last FL hurricane, a record for class 3 and above hurricanes. Hurricanes are not much of an issue in NH.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I am not paranoid about it but we believe in being prepared because 'it' happens. In our lifetime 'the 100 year flood' has happened a number of times.

We do carry a million gallon water filter with us at all times, a gift.

In addition we have a significant backup food supply in our homes. Obviously our trailer can not carry a lot of food but in a pinch I think we could eat sparsely from our trailer for a couple of weeks. Ginny always has her emergency Spam supply, usually we have a couple of pounds of smoked salmon, and always beans for soup.

In reality it is not very expensive to be prepared for a few month long emergency.
Electrically our trailer is relatively well prepared for these issues with it's 80 watt solar panel. At home we have a small generator and a 120 watt solar panel.
Norm,
What is a million gallon water filter? Where can I get one of those filters?
thanks!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #11

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I carry one of these. It folds so it doesn't take that much space, plus it could be used as a weapon.

I had a non folding version I used for trimming branches and cutting up firewood. It worked great but they change the blade design frequently so that you have to buy a whole new saw instead of replacement blades. I was just thinking about buying a new one to prune some trees. Maybe I'll try the folding version this time.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #12

Florida
Carl,

Sawyer Point ZeroTWOโ„ข Bucket Purifier Assembly Kit | Sawyer

Here's the filter we have. It is designed for a gravity feed system, not for the input to a trailer. A life saving kind of device during bad conditions.

We also carry a life straw in our backpack.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Being a Prepper, seems to be popular these days. It harkens back to early times hundreds and thousands of years ago where people had to be self sufficient. Now-a-days, it is more complicated because we don't raise our own food, we don't "can" foods to lay in a winter store. Store actually meant to store something, while today, stores are supply points for the populace that, in an emergency can fail since they are dependent on just-in-time inventory through the supply chain and transportation process--all of which can be interrupted in an emergency.

During Hurricane Irene, I went to check on my boat--which survived with some damage in an industrial area of Bridgeport. On the way home I decided to stop at McDonald's for a burger for my hungry dog. I noticed the drive through line was very long, so I parked and walked to the door. Just as I got there, they unlocked it. They had been closed until then. I walked up to the counter and as first in line placed my order for one plain double cheeseburger and a cup of water for my dog. I heard a huge commotion behind me. I turned around and there were 30 or more people in line behind me. Looking at the dejected looking faces, I realized that these people depended on McDonald's for food every day--food that I thought was fit for my dog in an emergency. McDonald's meals was their backup plan.

During Hurricane Sandy, Quebec Hydro came down with a fleet of trucks and workers to help restore power. It made me feel woinderful that our neighbors in Canada traveled so far to help out. However, the lowest elevations in Bridgeport were the last served because flood waters impeded work. This was also a poor neighborhood, exclusively black, and these people were throwing eggs at the volunteer utility workers from Canada. I was so embarrassed by this. Even worse, I later learned people were throwing rocks at the utility workers in Manhattan.

Living in Connecticut, near it's largest city, and going through two hurricanes in the last five years, I found it very troubling that so many people live hand to mouth, relying on government subsidies, and then are violent towards the very people who were trying to help them. I suppose going two days without TeleVision will do that to you. Imagine going three days without food. Give it a week and people will be eating each other.

On the other end of the spectrum, Preppers don't expect anyone at all to help them, and put aside money to stockpile (store) food, and fuel. They buy small generators to keep power going for a few lights, the furnace, a refrigerator and TV's. They also buy guns, because they don't want their preps to be ripped off by violent savages who feel they are entitled to take anything in an emergency, and they don't want to eat their neighbors.

The US government feels the same way, with executive orders that give the government power to take anything they like in an emergency--for the common good. It is the Christian thing to help others in need. But at some point it could mean starving yourself to help others, then we enter the shady area where survival conflicts with charitable giving.

So it seems that a camper with a Genset or solar, adequate batteries, and a supply of food is something small enough that it is less likely to be "commandeered" for the public good by the government and mobile enough to be kept (hidden) and used somewhere where an emergency can be ridden out safely. Or used to live in while waiting for an emergency to end.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #14

Florida
Conrad,

In a true emergency the problem does become the 'stone throwers' for emergency workers. It is amazing to me. This would be an atypical reaction in NH. Unfortunately the lack of civility can become very strong in short order in some locations.

I don't consider myself to be a prepper but I can understand those who are. Considering some of the trends it may be very wise. I understand that the Mormons have gone from one year supply recommendation to two years.

A small trailer makes a nice bugout vehicle. Without doing very much you can move into it in short order and equally be ready to go. In an hour we could be well stocked with food from the house and easily be able to live for 30 days without any store or utility requirements.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Being a Prepper, seems to be popular these days. It harkens back to early times hundreds and thousands of years ago where people had to be self sufficient. Now-a-days, it is more complicated because we don't raise our own food, we don't "can" foods to lay in a winter store. Store actually meant to store something, while today, stores are supply points for the populace that, in an emergency can fail since they are dependent on just-in-time inventory through the supply chain and transportation process--all of which can be interrupted in an emergency.

During Hurricane Irene, I went to check on my boat--which survived with some damage in an industrial area of Bridgeport. On the way home I decided to stop at McDonald's for a burger for my hungry dog. I noticed the drive through line was very long, so I parked and walked to the door. Just as I got there, they unlocked it. They had been closed until then. I walked up to the counter and as first in line placed my order for one plain double cheeseburger and a cup of water for my dog. I heard a huge commotion behind me. I turned around and there were 30 or more people in line behind me. Looking at the dejected looking faces, I realized that these people depended on McDonald's for food every day--food that I thought was fit for my dog in an emergency. McDonald's meals was their backup plan.

During Hurricane Sandy, Quebec Hydro came down with a fleet of trucks and workers to help restore power. It made me feel woinderful that our neighbors in Canada traveled so far to help out. However, the lowest elevations in Bridgeport were the last served because flood waters impeded work. This was also a poor neighborhood, exclusively black, and these people were throwing eggs at the volunteer utility workers from Canada. I was so embarrassed by this. Even worse, I later learned people were throwing rocks at the utility workers in Manhattan.

Living in Connecticut, near it's largest city, and going through two hurricanes in the last five years, I found it very troubling that so many people live hand to mouth, relying on government subsidies, and then are violent towards the very people who were trying to help them. I suppose going two days without TeleVision will do that to you. Imagine going three days without food. Give it a week and people will be eating each other.

On the other end of the spectrum, Preppers don't expect anyone at all to help them, and put aside money to stockpile (store) food, and fuel. They buy small generators to keep power going for a few lights, the furnace, a refrigerator and TV's. They also buy guns, because they don't want their preps to be ripped off by violent savages who feel they are entitled to take anything in an emergency, and they don't want to eat their neighbors.

The US government feels the same way, with executive orders that give the government power to take anything they like in an emergency--for the common good. It is the Christian thing to help others in need. But at some point it could mean starving yourself to help others, then we enter the shady area where survival conflicts with charitable giving.

So it seems that a camper with a Genset or solar, adequate batteries, and a supply of food is something small enough that it is less likely to be "commandeered" for the public good by the government and mobile enough to be kept (hidden) and used somewhere where an emergency can be ridden out safely. Or used to live in while waiting for an emergency to end.
Conrad,
Well said! I can not add anything to your thread! When I hear the, "words for the common good!" they make me want to cry! I do not mind giving to folks that work for a living and need help! But when the government takes for us and for the common good gives it to the folks that sit around and watch TV!
I CRY! Maybe, the government should take over McDonald's, then they can feed the hungry? I can not think of anything that the government can do any better than the American businessman! I wish that WalMart would take over the government, then I know the government would run more efficiently!
It is a great idea, that I never had given any thought about using a small fiberglass camper in an emergency situation? But, you and Norm make some excellent points!
Dang, I wish I was smart like you guys!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
I always keep a number of cans of dehydrated water on hand for emergencies. It takes much less space than hydrated water and weighs practically nothing.

Seriously, I think RVers are already far, far, ahead of the average Joe without doing anything special.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I understand that the Mormons have gone from one year supply recommendation to two years.

Hmmm, I wonder what they know? And I really need to get some of that dehydrated water, it seems much easier than messing around with a filter.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The main reason those bow saw blades fail is not that they lose their edge but they lose their kerf, that is the saw tooth offset left and right. Without that kerf the cut is not wider than the blade so they cut poorly.

You might try laying the blade flat on a piece of wood and using a flat bottom punch to gently tap every other tooth into the wood just a bit to give it an offset. Turn blade over and do the remaining saw teeth. You want half the teeth to go \ and the other half to go /. Some saw blades will only have an angle on the longer teeth with a shorter tooth in between.

I'm using a blade that is 30+ years old and still whips through arm size pieces of firewood. Have touched up the edge with a file a couple of times the kerf at least half a dozen times. Mostly because I made enough cuts that pinched the blade to remove the kerf.

Disaster preparedness is always good to think about. Including pet needs. Medicine, or medical equipment needs are one special area where better safe than sorry applies. Here in Mich. tornado, ice storm or blizzard are what will shut down our just in time grocery, gas and pharmacy habit.

Our basement pantry is also a storm shelter with basic supplies. Note to self check TP supply on hand! Kerosene heater, generator able to run well pump, and Coleman camping stuff should keep us OK for awhile. Think house would be better than camper for most of our situations but can see using the RV battery and camping stuff.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post

On age (or gender) and weapons, wisdom to avoid situations requiring weapons is best defense. I trust my instincts and will leave or avoid that which does not seem "right", even if I'm not sure why.

I find this an unpleasant topic but if it makes people think and be mentally prepared for this kind of situation I know having thought about what to do is the key to survival in most bad situations. Those who locate the exits in a hotel and think about what to do in a fire before one happens are most likely to survive. Same with this.

If one lacks the bulk and strength to intimidate, or the stamina and skill to go several rounds best bet is surprise. Threatening to use a weapon elevates the violence level and if you are not actually intimidating don't threaten just do. Surprise and a willingness to injure threatening person(s) to the point where they are unable to be a threat can be an effective option but requires a certain mindset many do not have.

Cutting someone with a saw (or hitting with a club) will hurt them but if you are not willing to continue to hurt them to the point of incapacitation or death don't go there. Nothing wrong with being unwilling to do extreme violence to someone. You just have to know your own mind and I guess carry pepper spray so you can increase your chances of getting away.

I would guess my ugly mug on top of a couple hundred pounds with a baseball bat in sight would be more likely to intimidate a pair of burglars into leaving than my wife with a hunting knife. She just does not seem threatening. In her case better they never see the knife until it's too late and it's clear to the second intruder that she can and will hurt him just like the first one that grabbed her and now needs an ambulance.

So if you don't scare people then be like the girl being bullied at the school bus stop in my old neighborhood. She was getting pushed, knocked down, and kicked by a group of kids on a regular basis. She did not threaten the biggest bully with the sock full of gravel in her coat pocket, she just hit him upside the head with it when he pushed her for the last time. Surprise! I don't think the fellow ever knew what happened, just that pushing her led to him laying on his back with his bell rung.

I guess my point is don't threaten what you won't do effectively and if your threatening to do it probably won't discourage anyone don't let them know what to look out for in advance.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try to poke somebody with that saw and you'll probably end up with nasty knuckles when it folds up on your hand. Guess you could prune an overhanging branch and knock the offender out.

Tags
boondocking