Boondocking/Offroad camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would want to know which one comes with the largest tire diameter for a boon docking trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
John, you’re right. It “looks” like a two door JK. ALL running gear is one ton with upgraded brakes, drive shafts, transfer case, transmission, shocks/ suspension, steering, wheel base length extended, and has a 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 liter HEMI under the hood......so it handles it well.
Loaded for camping our LS 2875 lbs.
Dave & Paula

Dave, LOL. Good job, that should be "adequate".

Does all of your traction control system work too? I noticed that the 2 dr model is rated to tow 2,500 lbs max and the 4 dr model Unlimited, is rated for 3,500 lbs. Only difference is the wheelbase. I guess Chrysler thinks the 2 dr is less stable. I have a 2013 Rubicon and can confirm that the Hemi would be much better for towing. The Pentastar doesn't seem to do anything near what it should be capable of.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #23

Name: Gene
Trailer: 31' Airstream - Downsizing
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
As of 2 days ago, wait time on a LS is 14 months.
Fourteen months seems a little long to be out $10,000.00 deposit especially since Lil Snoozy only make one model. Is the deposit money in escrow account? What happen with all those deposits if Lil Snoozy close shop? Are there past or current issues causing the long wait? Just asking.
Gulfbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Dave, LOL. Good job, that should be "adequate".

Does all of your traction control system work too? I noticed that the 2 dr model is rated to tow 2,500 lbs max and the 4 dr model Unlimited, is rated for 3,500 lbs. Only difference is the wheelbase. I guess Chrysler thinks the 2 dr is less stable. I have a 2013 Rubicon and can confirm that the Hemi would be much better for towing. The Pentastar doesn't seem to do anything near what it should be capable of.
Everything works as if the factory actually put this together. The company that did the swap is RPM fabrication in Mesa, AZ.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfbreeze View Post
Fourteen months seems a little long to be out $10,000.00 deposit especially since Lil Snoozy only make one model. Is the deposit money in escrow account? What happen with all those deposits if Lil Snoozy close shop? Are there past or current issues causing the long wait? Just asking.
It just shows what you can do when you have a backlog of greater than 1 year right now.

I marvel at LS's ability to get people to provide them ample working capital. Lets say they make 100 trailers per year, that's over $1.3 million in deposits. And whatever their production rate may be. It adds up.

Ultimately, its their business and their rules. If I were in their shoes, I would not change.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
LiL Snoozy manufacturing rate

LiL Snoozy actually only manufactures about 40-45 units per year. I am still waiting for mine!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #27

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Your boondocking answer depends upon how much you enjoy doing and spending money on repair work: eg: broken bolts, popped rivets, shell cracks etc. The brutal truth is that none of the frames of any of your candidates is up to relentless pounding on forest service and similar roads. The vibration will simply tear them apart and break loose the accommodation structure inside. Happily, there is a solution: upgrade the frame and axle to boondocking strength. There are specialty firms that do this. If you'd like a referral, just let me know.

Stephen
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #28

Name: M
California
+1 for Boondooking

Morning!

I pretty much exclusively boondook. Staying in campgrounds with hook ups doesn't really appeal to me so I bought my 17' Casita knowing it would rarely be plugged in.

Originally I had a 17' 2000 Freedom without the high axel lift and I recently upgraded to a newer 17' 2015 Spirit with the high axel lift. I can't say it actually does a whole lot for me other then peace of mind. Our trailer spends more time on dirt roads then pavement so I feel great about have the high axel now. It's a noticeable difference on tighter dirt roads. However I think I am in the minority here where I don't like staying at campgrounds with hookups.

I installed solar that powers the whole trailer pretty much endlessly, I have never run out of battery and we watch TV and run the fans at night. The propane fridg is a life saver. One tank of propane will run the stove, water heater, and frig for well over a month for me and you have 2 tanks!

The water is the challenging part and casitas have a pretty standard size tank. Same size tanks as other trailers in their class. I have the 25 gallon tanks and if you are NOT conservative with water, ie flushing and dish washing whenever you want, 25 gallons will last 4 days? When trying to conserve water I have never run out but max was 7 days, normally we move and when we move camps we fill up the tanks at the gas station.

The water is your limiting factor, the batteries are an easy fix, just get a solar panel. And if you are worried about water just through some big jugs in the TV. 10 gallon jugs are cheap and easy to find.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.34.21 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.34.47 AM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.35.09 AM.jpg  
petruccelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I am trying to figure out my camping setup for a non-electric BLM campground, but I need to charge the battery for my CPAP. But, I will be away from the camper most of the day. Do you leave solar panels outside doing their thing, while you are away from the camper? I worry about theft as they would be easy to walk away with.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Having to worry about theft would ruin the trip for me. That is the reason I go camping, to get out away from stuff like that. But I agree that it is possible. Maybe a cable lock through one of the trailer wheels and through the solar frame would be a sufficient deterrent.

Mostly, these days while camping without a power hookup, I charge the batteries by running jumper cables to the batteries from the truck. An idling truck is not loud and can pump in some serious amps. I find it quicker than with a generator and less noisy.

We tend to use a fair amount of electricity, especially lately in weather down in the 20s at night and running the propane forced air heat. So every two or three days an hour on the truck charges them fully. I have four Trojan t-105, 6 volt batteries.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:10 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler
Registry
With boondocking I wonder about the gray water tanks. I watched some youtube videos on the subject and they seem to not drain the grey water but wait and dump it with the black. My thinking is if it's just dish water and shower water what's the harm in releasing on the campsite? I can see it being a problem if you are sitting on the side of a stream no one wants soap going in the lake but if you are more then say 50 feet from the water it will be cleaned as it percolates through the soil. When at the cottage we never wash in the lake and take showers well away from water. I would think draining the gray shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering what others opinions are.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #32

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We can have opinions about dumping gray water but they are often irrelevant. Many areas have rules to guide us. Check on that before you spend too much time pondering it.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Gray water often contains food particles and can smell up a campsite in short order. One person dumping may have little impact, but when it happens over and over for a full camping season - well that stinks.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #34

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfbreeze View Post
I cant answer one of your question. Best to call LS and get it from the "horses mouth" rather than the internet
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #35

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Lil Snoozy is definitely a boondocker and we do it easily. David B. said it best in his post. We have not had a problem with ground clearance and the gray water tank is protected completely on the bottom with the same 2-layer, 5/8 inch thick honeycomb fiberglass that the hull is made of.

Water conservation is the key. In the Lil Snoozy, the cassette toilet is definitely a plus. We usually fill the fresh water tank no more than 1/3 full and use jugs carried in the TV.

If you get the 12V only Trucker Fridge, you can run it reliably indefinitely on a single solar panel (depending on climate and sun). We use a small propane portable stove to cook when we need it; leave it at home when we don't.

We have also found that the simple, solid oak furniture does not shake apart on rough roads. But he drawers will work their way out if not otherwise secured.

There are turn-key solar panels that you just attach to your battery with clips. The Acopower 105W that we have folds into thirds and weighs just 7 pounds. The generator is there, just in case.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #36

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Nice Air Doug!! The LS floor plan is the on that we like best
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:20 PM   #37

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Also look at the Refrigerator Shade post trending right now and see what folks have to do to keep their propane absorption fridges working when its hot. No issues at all with the 12V Truck Fridge if you get that option in the Lil Snoozy.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Boondocking in Casita

"Boondock" can mean different things to different folks. For me, simple is better. My purpose is to get away from people and be in nature. I can always check into a state park when I need to do laundry, etc. In my small Casita, I seldom stay at any place with hookups. But then I seldom stay at the same site for more than two or three nights before moving on. That means I don't need large grey and black water tanks. I installed an extra high axel to have as much ground clearance on the trailer as I do on my 4WD TV. I removed the fresh water tank and use that space to carry bottled water. I can get bottled water at just about any backcountry store and like that each bottle is sealed until I open it. No blackwater tank at all. A portable toilet that is easy to dump without fooling with connecting drains, etc. There is a small grey water tank, but I don't use it and it does not hang low beneath the trailer.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #39

Name: M
California
If you're worried about theft just mount panels to the roof. Plus then you never have to mess with them, take them out, hook them up etc, they are just always collecting.
petruccelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #40

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by petruccelli View Post
If you're worried about theft just mount panels to the roof. Plus then you never have to mess with them, take them out, hook them up etc, they are just always collecting.
LOL... at most of the campgrounds I go to, they are just always not collecting.. at least not more than a trickle. See, I am usually in the shade.

For portable panel(s), use a chain, engrave you driver's license number on the metal frame, and get insurance.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking