Boondocking Toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
Boondocking Toilet

I plan to do some boondocking next year and would appreciate any advice on simple toilets. I have a 16‘ Scamp without a toilet. I want something that doesn’t take up a lot of space. Thanks in advance.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
This?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 13-47-44 Amazon.com Bumper Dumper The Original Hitch Mountable Portable.jpg  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #3

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Just make sure that tailgate is securely latched....
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If you want something inside the trailer, look at the Separett brand, "Tiny" waterless, urine diverting toilet. I have this and it is an excellent choice for avoiding a black tank, having no water hookup, and ease of cleaning. Much simpler and better than the so-called "composting" units.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Happier Camper uses the Laveo Dry Flush and most customers are very satisfied with it ,so much so that it is the standard option on the HCT with no need for a black tank ,although it is still an option . Being able to remove the toilet from the bath now makes your bath a dry bath .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
Get yourself one of these
Attached Thumbnails
vanlifer_portable_bathroom_vanlife_shower_toilet_towable_camping2a.JPG  
Old 12-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Happier Camper uses the Laveo Dry Flush and most customers are very satisfied with it ,so much so that it is the standard option on the HCT with no need for a black tank ,although it is still an option . Being able to remove the toilet from the bath now makes your bath a dry bath .
The Laveo has some serious drawbacks and though offered in some trailers, it is also being changed out to another brand.

Problems are: It uses exclusive proprietary cartridges, that only work with it and are expensive at about $90. for a pack of three. Each cartridge is only good for 12-15 "flushes". You cannot use the Laveo without their cartridge. Second, everything goes into the same bag. Pee has a much larger volume than the solids, so you end up with a fragile bag full of mostly pee to lift out and get rid of. It's tedious, expensive and likely to break. Third, the Laveo has a battery to run it that must be kept charged, and a gear system to wind up and close off the bag between flushes. A complicated mechanism that must keep working or the whole thing is useless. And finally, the cost for one is about $1,000. Then the cartridges are a constant cost.

One of these came in my trailer when new. I used it until we got home and then pulled it out and gave it back to the dealer. Throwing away a bag with about three or four gallons of pee, and solids is a problem. The bag will break and leak all over in any barrel or dumpster. And it cannot be poured into a toilet at a campground.

This is why the Separett brand waterless toilets are much better. Easily available glad bags at 3-4 cents each in boxes of 80 bags, or use plastic shopping bags left over from the grocery store, that get dumped with only a small volume of semi-dry solids with almost no odor. The pee can be plumbed to the gray tank or go into an attached reusable bottle that can be carried out and dumped very easily.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #8

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
Thanks.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:47 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The Laveo has some serious drawbacks....
Wow! I know alternative toilets have their place but this makes me appreciate the no drama traditional black tank, dump when you do the gray.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was reading about the Separett and happened to catch that Amazon has a limited quantity available at what seems to be a good price. Just an FYI...
https://www.amazon.com/Separett-Wate.../dp/B08SGM65FK
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The Laveo has some serious drawbacks and though offered in some trailers, it is also being changed out to another brand.

Problems are: It uses exclusive proprietary cartridges, that only work with it and are expensive at about $90. for a pack of three. Each cartridge is only good for 12-15 "flushes". You cannot use the Laveo without their cartridge. Second, everything goes into the same bag. Pee has a much larger volume than the solids, so you end up with a fragile bag full of mostly pee to lift out and get rid of. It's tedious, expensive and likely to break. Third, the Laveo has a battery to run it that must be kept charged, and a gear system to wind up and close off the bag between flushes. A complicated mechanism that must keep working or the whole thing is useless. And finally, the cost for one is about $1,000. Then the cartridges are a constant cost.

One of these came in my trailer when new. I used it until we got home and then pulled it out and gave it back to the dealer. Throwing away a bag with about three or four gallons of pee, and solids is a problem. The bag will break and leak all over in any barrel or dumpster. And it cannot be poured into a toilet at a campground.

This is why the Separett brand waterless toilets are much better. Easily available glad bags at 3-4 cents each in boxes of 80 bags, or use plastic shopping bags left over from the grocery store, that get dumped with only a small volume of semi-dry solids with almost no odor. The pee can be plumbed to the gray tank or go into an attached reusable bottle that can be carried out and dumped very easily.
Your points are well taken ,however there are many variables to the equation mostly dealing with the numbers one and two . The op was seeking a source for a toilet that does not involve a black tank and there are many here with small trailers that do not have or want that option .
The Dryflush is an expensive toilet and yes the cartridges are close to a$1.00 a flush and would be a huge waste if that’s how you use it . . The dryflush is really an emergency backup and can also function as a typical bag system ,I simply place a gelled wag bag over the toilet under the seat and use it strictly for number 1 and dispose in the morning like thousands of other campers do ,easy peasy cheap and effective and then head to the bathroom in the morning wether it be the campground or some where else for more serious business just like almost every other camper does even though they have black tanks . This works great of course if you have washroom facilities nearby . If however I am camping far from any facilities which is rare I have my backup and trust me that $1.00 flush becomes a bargain . I have never had a problem disposing of the cartridges and have never had a issue of them breaking and have never heard of any customers complain of breakage and if there was it would be the number One topic on their fg group .After many years of trying different systems this seems to be the best especially being able to remove it from the bathroom to use the shower and yes I believe Laveo is working on a much better biodegradable cartridge that will make the system even better .
As in most cases when it comes to toilets there will be controversy and different opinions ,what works for some may not work for others .
Old 12-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Boondocking Toilet

I noticed that no-one has been pushing the standard or smaller Porta Potty. Over the years I have had, and used several types and sizes and found them to be totally adequate, compact, easy to dump, and relatively sanitary. Dumping is easy into any standard toilet.
They are mostly around the $100 mark and available at almost all big stores or online.
Good bang for the buck!
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:31 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
I noticed that no-one has been pushing the standard or smaller Porta Potty. Over the years I have had, and used several types and sizes and found them to be totally adequate, compact, easy to dump, and relatively sanitary. Dumping is easy into any standard toilet.
They are mostly around the $100 mark and available at almost all big stores or online.
Good bang for the buck!
Mike .....>
Yes Porta potty’s are a great and well proven system and can be just as good as any other portable system as long as you can drain it soon after using as it can be smelly , The Laveo or something similar will not smell even after days a use ,even a black tank system can smell if not treated right .
Old 12-21-2022, 12:00 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
Good bang for the buck!
Mike .....>
We almost exclusively Boondock and use a Theadford porta potty. There is no smell while using happy campers toilet treatment. Between my wife and I we can go as long as a week before emptying it. I take the bottom portion only in our tow vehicle and simply dump it in any toilet.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:35 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
When we had our "Lady Bug" a 1979 Boler, we had a Theeadford Porta-Potty and I think the Boler's front bench seat was designed for this toilet in mind as it fit right under the seat in middle compartment that opened in the front and top.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #16

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
In hunting camp.....we use an old potty chair......of course.....we don't use the bucket part.....just dig a small hole with a camp shovel......and bury it. Our chair has been around for years....if it could talk.....there would be some very funny stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...%2C805&sr=8-12
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking