brazen thieves...tried to take a Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
brazen thieves...tried to take a Burro

My friend's son has a Burro in Salt Lake City. He had it parked in a place visible from the street that is close to where he is working on projects.

A friend of his noticed a man trying to remove the lock on the tongue so he could hitch it up to his own vehicle but was not successful so he drove off.

But shortly after that same man returned with a big Uhaul truck that had a ramp on the back. Brought 3 other people along with him. They then attempted to push the Burro into the Uhaul truck, But they failed at that because the wheel on the tongue jack just spun and dug into the ground when they attempted to get it to go up the ramp. That friend finally made it obvious they were being watched and they all took off in the Uhaul.

Of course that friend did contact my Son's friend but by the time he arrived they thieve had departed. The Burro has now been moved to a location where it can't be seen from the street. It was very lucky that he had a lock on the tongue and it was simply pure luck that the wheel on the tongue dug itself in and refused to move....good little Burro, it did what Burro's are know to do, dig in their feet and refuse to budge.

Given the current situation where people want to get out of the cities and go boondocking but don't own their own trailers that means that this situation could accelerate even beyond what we have are already used to seeing. So take precautions, do what you can to keep your trailer out of sight and also make it difficult to roll into a big truck or onto a flatbed trailer.

The Burro of course was moved and is now no longer visible from the street.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
My friend's son has a Burro in Salt Lake City. He had it parked in a place visible from the street that is close to where he is working on projects.

A friend of his noticed a man trying to remove the lock on the tongue so he could hitch it up to his own vehicle but was not successful so he drove off.

But shortly after that same man returned with a big Uhaul truck that had a ramp on the back. Brought 3 other people along with him. They then attempted to push the Burro into the Uhaul truck, But they failed at that because the wheel on the tongue jack just spun and dug into the ground when they attempted to get it to go up the ramp. That friend finally made it obvious they were being watched and they all took off in the Uhaul.

Of course that friend did contact my Son's friend but by the time he arrived they thieve had departed. The Burro has now been moved to a location where it can't be seen from the street. It was very lucky that he had a lock on the tongue and it was simply pure luck that the wheel on the tongue dug itself in and refused to move....good little Burro, it did what Burro's are know to do, dig in their feet and refuse to budge.

Given the current situation where people want to get out of the cities and go boondocking but don't own their own trailers that means that this situation could accelerate even beyond what we have are already used to seeing. So take precautions, do what you can to keep your trailer out of sight and also make it difficult to roll into a big truck or onto a flatbed trailer.

very sad glad they didn't get it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Name: maurice
Trailer: escape 5.0TA
Florida
It's a shame the world that we live in you have to secure everything you own because if you don't there's always someone that is willing to take what doesn't belong to them. So happy they didn't get his Burro!
brixlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixlayer View Post
It's a shame the world that we live in you have to secure everything you own because if you don't there's always someone that is willing to take what doesn't belong to them. So happy they didn't get his Burro!

Has it ever been any different?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #5

Name: maurice
Trailer: escape 5.0TA
Florida
Unfortunately it never will!
brixlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If I am ever in a position to catch someone in the act of stealing from myself of neighbors expect to hear news reports of naked thief being flogged with a knotted rope overjoyed at police arrival. If there is time I'll send out an invite. Otherwise look for a YouTube link.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Securing your stuff.

Given enough time, and the chance of not being observed, the thieves will get away with anything, even heavy earthmoving equipment.
So to secure your trailer, you need ways to delay them, and increase the odds they will be seen.
We have our trailer chained down the its concrete parking slab. the safety chains are anchored to tie-down rings bolted to the concrete. Also a padlock on the hitch latch. I did this mostly to keep it there in case of a big wind.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Smile

If someone wanted to steal my Escape trailer from beside my house, they would have to shovel a 20ft long by 5 ft high pile of snow that is in the way. I doubt that any thief is willing to work that hard for it.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
If someone wanted to steal my Escape trailer from beside my house, they would have to shovel a 20ft long by 5 ft high pile of snow that is in the way. I doubt that any thief is willing to work that hard for it.

If by chance someone started shoveling their way towards your Escape, I assume you won't stop them until they get through at least 18/19 feet?
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
If by chance someone started shoveling their way towards your Escape, I assume you won't stop them until they get through at least 18/19 feet?
Yea, I would be waiting for them! Here is a pic showing the snow a couple years ago. We have more this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Beaumont-20140104-00078.jpg  

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #11

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
How come they didn't call the cops?
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #12

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RV recovery

Quote:
Our small RVs are easy to steal and as long as people are willing to buy them without state paperwork there will be a market. Trackers run about $100 per year and are well worth the money. Yes, I have insurance, but I want my Scamp back.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Any suggestions on the best tracker to buy? Do these gizmos require paying for a company to monitor them?

Thanks!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #14

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Any suggestions on the best tracker to buy? Do these gizmos require paying for a company to monitor them? Thanks!
There are a few brands and online videos showing comparisons. I’m using TRAK-4. Yearly fee. The first two did not work well, but they then sent me two updated units and they have been OK. Yearly fee will depend on how often you want reports. Mine reports every four hours if moving and weekly if in storage. It also gives temperature and battery status. Map was a test drive with the tracker in my tow vehicle before installing. BTW: The first were 5 VDC and when I got the replacement, I asked for 12VDC and they are permanently powered.
Note also that while I do use Tiles for keys, they are not trackers.
Attached Thumbnails
Typical track map.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I assume they caught the culprits via the truck rental and tag information. $ less thieves on the streets.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You mean the stolen rental truck?
Old 03-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Truck

Or the stolen ID they used to rent the truck with a stolen credit
card.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

We purchased a tire lock similar to what cops use to lock your vehicle so you can't move them if you have unpaid tickets. It keeps the tire from rolling more than a few inches and also is nice to keep your vehicle from rolling away. We also put a hitch lock on it using one that goes up inside hitch. So no one can hook onto it and it won't roll. We use it on our motorhome also when we leave the trailer at home in our garage. We also can lock our chains together so it can't be towed with just the chains. If someone gets it with all this then we'll just have to make an insurance claim. You can keep 99.9% of the thieves away with these things but there's always one somewhere that can figure out a way to steal anything at anytime.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:36 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
How come they didn't call the cops?
You mean how come the cops did not get there before the thieves got so tired and frustrated with trying to roll it into the uhaul truck that they just gave up and left?

I don't have a clue.... I was not the person on the phone talking to the son, his father was and he did tell me that.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #20

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
You mean how come the cops did not get there before the thieves got so tired and frustrated with trying to roll it into the uhaul truck that they just gave up and left?

odd reaction when it is your story and you never said the cops had been called. Perhaps you should have put that in?

I was also wondering why the cops had not been called.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro