Brewing Coffee - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #21

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Moderators. Ban this guy!

Oh wait, that's me.

Everyone has every right to do as they please, and quick and easy has its merits.
Well, everyone has a right to bring troubles to themselves. Like travelling with a pop-up camper in a heavy rain, or brew real coffee while boondocking. :-)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Another Aeropress user here.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
12 Volt One Cup Coffee Maker

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #24

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
What I got out of this thread is how seriously we all take our coffee. I'm a moka pot - dark roast kind of guy myself.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #25

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I have one of these. No power needed, just boil some water.

Presto® MyJo™ Coffee Maker
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #26

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Just say yes
To the Aero Press

Compact, light, easy to use and clean. Oh yes, makes excellent coffee
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Used to bring a french press. Now I make "cowboy" coffee. Measure out 2 coffee cups of water at night. Next morning boil on the stove. Turn off the heat and add two scoops coffee. You know, the scoops that used to come in a can of Maxwell House. Wait a few minutes and pour through a fine mesh into insulated cups.
I like this method. What do you use as a "fine mesh"? This sounds like a better method than using the percolator that I use while camping. The percolator has to be watched and then timed. And it boils the coffee it is making. But it has extra coffee for those second and third cups later.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not just use the Melita cone filter? Heat the water on the stove. Pour it into the filter holder with the grounds. Drink the coffee and toss the filter and grounds.
Took a bit of effort to find, but we have stainless thermal carafe with fitted filter holder.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 AM   #29

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Hi Tonie,

I agree, brew before you get on the road. I have several different sized thermal cups from 14oz. to 30 oz. that I use in the car, trailer and home.

Brewing: for those using the Aeropress , do you use the press the intended way, brew inverted with a bit of steeping time, or ??
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:51 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
What I got out of this thread is how seriously we all take our coffee. I'm a moka pot - dark roast kind of guy myself.
I have used a moka pot a bunch in the past, just not recently at all. My wife was just asking yesterday if I wanted to keep it..... of course!

I used to roast my coffee darker all the time, but in the last few years have mostly gone with lighter roasts. You get a lot more flavour this way, and differing flavours. A lot of it too depends on the origin of the beans as to how dark I like it roasted, and the method of extraction. I love variety though, and to try different roast levels.

The moka pot does seem to produce a good cup with a dark roast, and can make a good cappuccino too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I have one of these. No power needed, just boil some water.

Presto® MyJo™ Coffee Maker
I am just not a fan of these pods with preground coffee. Usually by the time I drink them, they taste stale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not just use the Melita cone filter? Heat the water on the stove. Pour it into the filter holder with the grounds. Drink the coffee and toss the filter and grounds.
Took a bit of effort to find, but we have stainless thermal carafe with fitted filter holder.
I have used pour over a bunch before, and many years ago it was my usual go to method. I still use a small one cup Clever Coffee Dripper once in a while. If one adds a bit of water to just presoak the grounds for a short while, I find it gets fuller extraction, otherwise I don't find it has as broad of a flavour profile.

With the AeroPress, cleanup is just a quite rinse, even with the filters whether paper of metal, and only the grounds go into the compost or garbage bin.

The thing to do, and I have enjoyed with coffee friends over the years, is to use the same coffee and try different methods of extraction to find the ones you like best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
Brewing: for those using the Aeropress , do you use the press the intended way, brew inverted with a bit of steeping time, or ??
I have tried the inverted a bunch before, and even have done comparisons with it and the conventional method with friends, and we have concluded that there really is no difference in taste, and I prefer the ease of the conventional method. I have therefore concluded that inverted users are just plain weird, but I am good with that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:54 AM   #31

Registry
Over the years I have done just about every method of extraction there is, mostly with non-electric brewers. Done properly, each and every method can produce a decent cup of coffee. It just comes down to personal preference with taste, cost, ease of use, etc.

And yes, I have even stopped at Timmies for a cup when on the go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-31-2017, 05:01 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Guess we must be a dinosore breed as we still use the perculator on the propane stove but we did find out that the drip coffee used no-a-days are too fine for the basket so we use a paper filter inside the basket.
For on the road I will stop at a conveinient store and take my travel mug in...Usually will cost 99 cents for any size cup.
I almost missed this. A percolator too can make good coffee if used right. This is one of my brothers most used methods while camping. While percolating it is not actually boiling, and if you keep the heat low as it percs, let it perc for not much more for a minute, then remove it from the heat, it can taste real good. If left on the heat too long, it over extracts and becomes bitter.

As mentioned above, the number one thing to do to achieve a good cup, regardless of the extraction method, is fresh grinding the beans. It is real easy to set the grind to what you need, and percolating uses a much coarser grind.

I have never used a paper filter when percing coffee. Does this not let the water flow slower through the basket with the chance of overflowing?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #33

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
I have never used a paper filter when percing coffee. Does this not let the water flow slower through the basket with the chance of overflowing?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, never had a problem with over-flow but you do need to use a large enough filter that can almost fold over the top ecge of basket because it will fold down and grounds will excape making your last cup out of the pot a bit chewy.
Also have used pods and that was OK.
I also have an insulated stainless Karaff if I want to take some on the road.
HMMM- Doesn't that resturaunt, Fr---ly's place one on the table when you get breakfast...<_<So getting one of these shouldn't be a problemJust joking
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I like this method. What do you use as a "fine mesh"? This sounds like a better method than using the percolator that I use while camping. The percolator has to be watched and then timed. And it boils the coffee it is making. But it has extra coffee for those second and third cups later.
At home or if we plan on being parked for a while we sometimes bring the French press.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170131_080815.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	102556

On the road, one cup and go, we use an old aluminum percolator minus the basket and a 3" conical strainer. This is not as fine as a coffee mesh but it works for the grind we use. I believe those small plastic scoops are 2 tables spoons. Best to experiment with measurements at home before trying it on the road. Don't need a grumpy partner for the first 100 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170131_080930.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	102557
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:43 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
At home or if we plan on being parked for a while we sometimes bring the French press.

On the road, one cup and go, we use an old aluminum percolator minus the basket and a 3" conical strainer. This is not as fine as a coffee mesh but it works for the grind we use. I believe those small plastic scoops are 2 tables spoons. Best to experiment with measurements at home before trying it on the road. Don't need a grumpy partner for the first 100 miles.
Why not use a French press on the road? This is my other brother's favourite method, and if poured off right away works quite good.

Raz, I would also highly recommend if using a percolator that you use stainless steel as opposed to aluminum. I find aluminum leaves a taste in the coffee that is not so good.

For boiling water, we just picked up a nice SS kettle to use on the stove last year, which works great. I used to just use a pot to save space, but it was a bit messier.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:17 AM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Why not use a French press on the road? This is my other brother's favourite method, and if poured off right away works quite good.
One cup and go. Why carry the press?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 AM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
I'm a moka pot - dark roast kind of guy myself.
We also have a moka pot for camping.
But I have a hard time making a coffee that's not overly bitter.
I tried many different techniques, watch dozen of YT videos, but the coffee is alway on the bitter side no matter what.
I know it's over extraction and /or water too hot.

Do you manage to make smooth, non bitter cups?

My pot is a 2-cup SS GAT Opera (Italian brand).

At home we're Americano drinkers, and we have a semi-auto Delonghi espresso machine. Works great.

I was looking at the Handpresso coffee makers as an alternative, but I think we'll give the Aeropress a try.
Carl V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #38

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
Like Jim, I too found it not worth the trouble. It's messier and didn't seem to make a better cup of coffee. My hope was that by steeping longer I could use fewer coffee grounds but I didn't really find this to be the case. Back to the traditional method for me.

Now, what water temperature provides the best extraction is a whole new matter. 175 ? 185? Does it really matter?

Just drink your damn coffee!
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have a coffee maker problem. I love coffee cooked over the open fire and have a large 14 cup pot that can sit directly over the fire grate for those after dinner drinks. I also have a smaller version that will work on the propane stove, inside or outside if a fire is not being stoked. If electric is available I have the 10 cup drip version or the 6 cup percolate version. All of the pots require a paper filter to keep the grounds out of the mix.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #40

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I used the inverted method with the Aeropress, and let the water sit to cool for about 1 minute after the boil, but I agree it doesn't matter much. The Aeropress gave me the most consistent, great tasting, easily produced coffee. I switched to a pour over because a. it's not plastic and b. less parts. Seemed the most simple for carrying in a camper. I don't like putting stuff in my body that was heated or hot in plastic.

But the cone is much more temperamental and takes more skill, and I have not been able to get as good coffee from it as the Aeropress, and like I mentioned, there was really not much trick to the Aeropress. It just made good coffee. I like the paper filters. That much less sludge in the cup, not that there's much with the SS filter.

But with my current camper and my minimalist lean...I find I've got plenty of space for stuff. I could easily fit all the above brewing devices. I'll probably be going back to the Aeropress. I only drink coffee at most once a week anyways.

None of this addresses the OPs question, but is obviously a popular topic.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote