Brewing Coffee - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #61

Name: Andray
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
We also have a moka pot for camping.
But I have a hard time making a coffee that's not overly bitter.
I tried many different techniques, watch dozen of YT videos, but the coffee is alway on the bitter side no matter what.
I know it's over extraction and /or water too hot.

Do you manage to make smooth, non bitter cups?

My pot is a 2-cup SS GAT Opera (Italian brand).

At home we're Americano drinkers, and we have a semi-auto Delonghi espresso machine. Works great.

I was looking at the Handpresso coffee makers as an alternative, but I think we'll give the Aeropress a try.
On my 6 cup moka and I only use 4 cups of water. The trick I have is not waiting to finish boiling. When 1/4 of coffee is made, I pour to my wife's cup and next 1/4 of coffee to my cup. We make americano and both taste very sweet. The rest is bitter and all mine :-)
andraycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by andraycho View Post
On my 6 cup moka and I only use 4 cups of water. The trick I have is not waiting to finish boiling. When 1/4 of coffee is made, I pour to my wife's cup and next 1/4 of coffee to my cup. We make americano and both taste very sweet. The rest is bitter and all mine :-)
Mine is a smaller 2-cup.
I tried less water, stop it as soon as I have about 4 oz (like 2 double espressos), pre-heat the water, cool off the pot once it's done, more heat, less heat, coarser grind, finer grind...
It does make coffee, but I can't say I like it.
Not consistent either: sometimes I'd say it's acceptable, sometimes I brew it the same way and it's not. Can't figure this out.

Might be the pot itself. It's not a Bialetti, but another Italian brand that's supposed to be as good. I was about to get another one, different brand or model, and see if it's any better, but since everybody seems to like the Aeropress I think we'll give it a try.

Also I've seen a couple videos on what happens when these little moka pots decide to blow up... not nice. I regularly check the safety valve on mine, but since I've seen this I always make coffee on the exterior stove. If the pot was to blow up inside the trailer, I'd be in for a substantial FG repair on my roof!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #63

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Might be the pot itself. It's not a Bialetti, but another Italian brand that's supposed to be as good. I was about to get another one, different brand or model, and see if it's any better, but since everybody seems to like the Aeropress I think we'll give it a try.
Mine is a Bialetti 4 cup. Folks not in the know should realize this is not four 8oz cups, but four dimitasse cups of about 2-3 oz.

The coffee made with the AeroPress is quite different from that in a Moka pot, much smoother tasting.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #64

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mine is a Bialetti 4 cup. Folks not in the know should realize this is not four 8oz cups, but four dimitasse cups of about 2-3 oz.
Exactly.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #65

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Wow I had no idea that what I have been using for decades is actually called a Moka pot! We call it our Cuban Coffee Pot....
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #66

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Wow I had no idea that what I have been using for decades is actually called a Moka pot! We call it our Cuban Coffee Pot....
More accurately an Italian Coffee Pot. Bialetti was the inventor, I believe back in the 1930's, and that brand is still the most common I have seen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #67

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yup, I drink probably 10 cups of tea for every cup of coffee. But not tea bags! I read somewhere that those tea bags are filled with the sweepings off the floor after they are done handling the good stuff ...and after tasting loose leaf tea for the first time I think there may be some truth to it. I get quite a bit of my loose leaf tea from Darlene's Tea Port (online) and prefer to drink it straight. The tarajulie tea from NE India is quite good IMO.

Coffee flavor too often was unappealing to me, but when I bought the Aeropress as a present for my wife and then tried a cup from it, suddenly I wanted to make coffee now and then. I've found that I prefer a relatively weak cup, with extra milk or (better yet) cream, and a dab of honey. Maybe that tendency has something to do with the very first cup of coffee I ever had, served up special (about 1/2 milk and plenty of sugar, in a tin cup) by my dear old Aunt Mary when I was about 6.
That's great. I'll check out that site. I get all my tea from here.

I like my coffee black, and have always kind of avoided milk, but I do like lattes. Much easier on my stomach. I also avoid sugar... So even though I can't say I don't like coffee with sugar and cream, the fact that I also like it black means I just drink it black. I mean I like twinkies, too, but I'm not going to actually eat one...

Everything in moderation. If I could follow that advice, I'd eat whatever I wanted and be fine. But because things like sugar and dairy and some other stuff are addictive to me and make me crave more and more and more rather than hitting a point of contentment, I just tend to avoid them altogether.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #68

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
We use the pour over method. Heat the water, pour over the coffee grounds, throw away the filter, drink the coffee! We also travel with a Nespresso Pixie which makes a great espresso. When we're on the road and stop for gas or bathroom break we fire up the Nespresso for a quick espresso or cup of coffee.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #69

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Here is an unusual one for you ......

Has anyone tried "Bulletproof Coffee"?
(Hint - It has been mentioned on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.)

Last Christmas, my daughter gave my S.I.L. a copy of "The Bulletproof Diet".
It is supposed to help with weight loss, produce morning mental clarity, and reduce inflammation.

One component of that diet is "Bulletproof Coffee".
To brew "Bulletproof Coffee", you supposedly need coffee beans that are free
of mold contamination and mycotoxins. After grinding the beans, you can brew the coffee with a french press or any other high quality coffee brewer.

Then, and here comes the weird part (but don't knock it until you've tried it),
you add a tablespoon of butter and some MCT coconut oil (MCT = medium chain triglycerides), and then blend it in a high speed blender for 20+ seconds.

More details can be found at:

https://www.bulletproof.com/
and
https://blog.bulletproof.com/

Not sure that I want to cart around a blender in our travel trailer, but .....

For some of you adventurous souls who choose to try it, good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #70

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think you just caused Jim Bennett to have a heart attack.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #71

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Our set up in the trailer is a digital scale to portion the freshly roasted beans, a Hario hand grinder, a Hario pourover kettle, a Melita cone, and a 1 liter thermos carafe. This isn't speedy, but cleans up with very little wasted water and produces an excellent brew. Figure 5 minutes to grind, 5 minutes to boil water on stove while you are grinding, and a 4 minute pour over. Sometimes a 20 minute break will be all you need to refresh yourself for a few hundred more miles. We also carry a Kalita stainless steel cone and filters for when i want a single 16 oz. cup. (coffee is a smidge better than the Melita larger batch)

Russ

Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lol... I have heard of it before. Some day it is not a lot different than cream, both are dairy. Since a teenager, I have always drank black, and will always do so.

Other than the odd after dinner cappuccino, that is, but they too are rare.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #73

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

Sorry, Jim! [emoji6]
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Sorry, Jim! [emoji6]
It's all good.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #75

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Bulletproof coffee is good. I don't completely agree with the premise and marketing, but there is definitely something to it. Based on the yak-butter tea that Tibetan monks drink. If you mix it right in the blender, it isn't greasy or weird. It's quite a bit like a latte.

It's turned into a whole industry and lifestyle now (my brother is a Bulletproof "coach") and is a little weird.

But yeah, coffee supposedly has the same mico-toxins that peanuts get, from some kind of fungus/mold. The founder has been a little cagey when asked to explain his coffee and the science and origin behind it, and the price justification. It has a scam-y sort of feel, but I don't think it is. I see it almost like the atkins diet, but not quite as bad...

I agree that if you drink coffee with a couple tablespoons of butter and mct oil or coconut oil, yeah, you won't be hungry till lunch and will have energy. Whether it's for everyone (some claim skyrocketing cholesterol levels after trying this "diet") or is really healthy in the long run will be shown sometime in the future by the current test subjects who swear by it.

There's definitely something convenient and nice about just drinking a latte-like coffee and being satisfied and energized all morning, without getting weighed down by actual food. I can see executives in fast paced, hectic environments benefiting.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #76

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I blame Starbucks for this obsession with how to brew coffee. I hate Starbucks!☺
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #77

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It shouldn't be necessary to mix the coffee, butter, and coconut oil in a blender. I think I'll just put the latter two on my bread and wash it down with the coffee.

Speaking of which.... time to go make a cup to drink with dinner.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #78

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
California
Cold brew!

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I used the AeroPress for a long time and it is good. Keep that as my backup. Lately at home I've been doing cold brew after finding out about it from a friend who is 'really' into coffee (roasts beans, etc). This is the setup I got

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can make a carafe of the concentrate and that will last me a week or two and until I retire that is the longest trip.

There are all kinds of kits and ways to do it, just google cold brewing.

Jeff
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #79

Registry
I have had cold brew a few times, but never made it myself. It produces a super smooth cup of coffee, very easy to drink. Using cold water seems to bring out less acidity (not bitterness), which I often like in a coffee, lending to a brighter taste.

So many great ways to make coffee. Just remember that fresh grinding good beans makes any method that much better.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #80

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I am another fan of the Aeropress. It makes good coffee but what truly sells its value for travel for me is how easy it is to clean it. Pretty much a quick wipe with a paper towel is sufficient with a once in a while dunk in the dishpan.

I used to drink drip coffee years ago. But a 26 day camping trip to France changed my coffee consumption preference. You can't buy drip coffee there and they don't use French press makers at the coffee shops either. Straight espresso shots is all they were selling so I went "native". It is said that it takes 21 days to imprint a new habit and that might just be true
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote