Broken pop-up camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I saw this Jayco last trip with a broken lift system. A couple with two small children were in it. Could you sleep in this?,, Danger Will Robertson Danger!!! Can you say pancake?
Attached Thumbnails
trip_pics_5_24_10_002__Small_.jpg  
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Quote:
I saw this Jayco last trip with a broken lift system. A couple with two small children were in it. Could you sleep in this?,, Danger Will Robertson Danger!!! Can you say pancake?
That is the reason we junked our pop up. Too many repairs being done while at the campground. Cables seem to break or fail to often plus the set up is a headache. We did much research-became owners of a fiberglass rv and the rest is history.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Tacky tacky tacky but likely as safe as the original system utilizing calbes.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
where I work they install hitches and used to sell campers and bank repo's(campers and motorhomes) so they're always telling someone "our guys will fix something or try"...last year they had a fella bring in a very good condition Rockwood tent trailer with a broken cable system... and me and Brian disassembled as much as we could to get at the broken chain assy across the front of that ridiculous setup...I'm fairly certain they install it first and assemble the trailer thinking it'll never break....wrong.
Anyhow the bill would have gotten outta hand and parts were a nightmare to buy ...they're almost not fixable in my opinion, and i'm rather handy with tools etc. The fella , far as I know.....was junking it and I only wish I were there to push it over the edge into the pit it belonged..
Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Years ago we loaned our new Starcraft pop-up to the wifes sister and bro-in-law. When they returned it the lift mechanism was damaged in one corner and all that was said was that, "There's something wrong. It doesn't work right. It must have been poorly made". No mention about repairs or that they forgot to remove a locking pin before trying to crank it down. We have NEVER, EVER loaned our trailers since. To ANYONE!
Once you have spent time on it and made it to your liking, no one else will take care of it the same way that you do.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Years ago we loaned our new Starcraft pop-up to the wifes sister and bro-in-law. When they returned it the lift mechanism was damaged in one corner and all that was said was that, "There's something wrong. It doesn't work right. It must have been poorly made". No mention about repairs or that they forgot to remove a locking pin before trying to crank it down. We have NEVER, EVER loaned our trailers since. To ANYONE!
Once you have spent time on it and made it to your liking, no one else will take care of it the same way that you do.

OH how true!!
My MIL keeps trying to lend our Boler to people ---honest -- there is no way!!! sorry !!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I used a Coleman tent trailer for 10 years with no problem. It was a great trailer. There are advantages and disadvantages to them. Would never go back though, I like better insulation, windows, tougher shell, and the readiness of my FG trailer.

The only ones I would lend my trailer out to is my brothers, who I trust implicitly knowing that if anything they did caused damage, they would fix it right away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I only wish I were there to push it over the edge into the pit it belonged..
I hope you would have salvaged the usable parts first.
I understand they are easily converted into a fairly light box trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I used a Coleman tent trailer for 10 years with no problem. It was a great trailer. There are advantages and disadvantages to them. Would never go back though, I like better insulation, windows, tougher shell, and the readiness of my FG trailer.

The only ones I would lend my trailer out to is my brothers, who I trust implicitly knowing that if anything they did caused damage, they would fix it right away.
Yes, My Coleman Utah was a fine coach and served me very well.
I had it for years and had it highly customized and it turned heads every trip.
I too would not go back to a pop-up but they can be a fine camper.

Pictures of My "Utah"

Inside shots

Camping shots
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote