Bubba has posted a new Nest by Airstream video - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #21

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Nest appears well made, but....
You never saw Micheal Lake's 16 standard or a tastefully done 16 Deluxe side bath...
Of course "luxury feel" implies actual touch but even "luxury appearance" is pretty subjective. Given the choice I think the custom oak interior of the Scamp is more appealing.

The upholstery on the Nest looks good... but did he say it was vinyl, or was that "luxury vinyl"?

$500, good taste, and moderate skills can go a long ways toward that "Luxury Feel" !

I can buy a Scamp Deluxe with every option and the Tow Vehicle of my choice for the price of a Nest.
I strongly disagree, I don't see a Scamp Deluxe to be any more luxury than a standard.

Unless you replace all the internals of a scamp, windows, then you are not coming close.

You are going to have a real hard time trying to sell rat fur to any luxury buyer.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
I strongly disagree, I don't see a Scamp Deluxe to be any more luxury than a standard.

Unless you replace all the internals of a scamp, windows, then you are not coming close.

You are going to have a real hard time trying to sell rat fur to any luxury buyer.
Maybe a trip to IKEA could get you a set of cabinets to build a Nest Interior for your Scamp. Stop on the way at a couple of fast food joints to get some of those "luxurious" designer ideas.
See what I mean? Subjective!

The Nest is a nice looking trailer but if you want Airstream's best effort , you need a Bambi16 CCD.

So... What is a "Luxury Buyer" anyway?
Versace sandals? Lexus? Or an F150 Lariat?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #23

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Maybe a trip to IKEA could get you a set of cabinets to build a Nest Interior for your Scamp. Stop on the way at a couple of fast food joints to get some of those "luxurious" designer ideas.
See what I mean? Subjective!

The Nest is a nice looking trailer but if you want Airstream's best effort , you need a Bambi16 CCD.
Well that explains your idea of luxury and why you think a Scamp Deluxe fits in. No, it is not really subjective, a person tastes sure is.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
He said, while touching and stroking the upholstery, and I quote, "This is a high-quality--ah--fabric, it's wipeable, very durable...this makes [up] a 57 x 80 bed..."
He didn't call it vinyl. It sank under his touch as if it was fabric...

ScotchGuard, maybe?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For the most part we all think our own trailer is better than the next, after all it is what we chose given our circumstances, need, and what we could afford.

And while we certainly can compare the models from different manufacturers, you must use all the variables of each in the comparison. What furnace, sink, stove, lighting, cabinet finish, tires, fabric, flooring, wall coverings, window, electronic components, electrical components, fridge, etc. You know, apples to apples.

To compare a Scamp, Escape or whatever brand you like, to a Nest must not be done on price alone.

As well, we seem to have a few folks comparing their trailer to the Nest without yet knowing pricing and details on the build.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Looks nice, really like some of the features.

Full window on door,
Nice wetbath, large window, nice spot for the TP and other stuff.
Large skylight,
Very large fridge.

The dinette table folds out from underneath, that makes more since, but means the full size table is on the small side. But should be a nice size for most people.

For a trailer that comes across as a show peace to entertain, the choice to have open overhead storage is odd. Would have liked to have seen doors.

I am sure there is storage under the seats, but storage does seem limited. It is a 16' so you can't expect much, but the choice to go with a larger wetbath and larger fridge takes up some of the space. Would be much easier to tell in person.

Having to put up the dinette every day will be a deal breaker for many.

From that video, overall the windows seem really small for the space. Perhaps I am just used to much larger windows in Airstreams.
About storage: My impression was that it has a great deal of storage: Two stacks of drawers, cabinets under the sink and opposite the sink, and the cedar closet. Plus under the benches and all the overheads. Compared to my Scamp 13, it's a lot.

I agree about putting up the bed being a deal breaker. We ordered our Scamp with the front dinette for that reason. The Nest's answer for that is in the preview that Airstream put up on their website a couple weeks ago. There is a second model that has a full-time bed in the front. The cabinet across from the galley is replaced with a bench. (which costs you some storage). Details tomorrow.
SteveGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #27

Registry
There are a few objective parameters to determine quality, fewer yet to determine "luxury".
While I think the appearance of the Nest interior is reminiscent of the octane lab at the refinery, others may see it as the epitome of modern convenience.
It is a beautiful but get real...
Where would it fit on your list?
Most here would place it behind the Escape. I would place it behind the Parkliner and a few others, and those not including my first choice.
As always though, I like all fiberglass travel trailers.
As for the Nest's quality, comfort or luxury, lets hear from actual owners (when there are some) and applaud their choice.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Well that explains your idea of luxury and why you think a Scamp Deluxe fits in. No, it is not really subjective, a person tastes sure is.
No... it explains what I think of the cabinets and the interior design of the Nest.
What luxurious feature do you think the Nest Has which is absent in My Scamp?
As for build quality, it will be necessary to wait ten years and compare notes with other fiberglass owners. No doubt the Nest will compare favorably, but "luxury" will remain subjective.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think the term "luxury" is best defined as space to move around, which disqualifies pretty much all eggs and even or especially, The Nest.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think the term "luxury" is best defined as space to move around, which disqualifies pretty much all eggs and even or especially, The Nest.
Directly to the point!
But then...

Old 04-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
After watching the video twice , the word luxurious never came to my mind once.
I don't know that I would pay extra for the Airstream name but then I have no sense of status.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #32

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You are thinking luxurious.

Stolen from the internet.
Quote:
A luxury hotel refers to a high standard hotel, which is usually expensive and comfortable, for example a five-star hotel is a luxury hotel; a luxurious hotel refers to an expensive and comfortable hotel, it might not be starred or be of high calibre
Old 04-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've yet to meet a salesman whose product wasn't perfect in every way. That in itself invalidates their criticism of the competition as far as I'm concerned.

Robert Johans, a member of this group, is the father of the Nest camper. Early on, long before Airstream was involved, he came to this forum for input, making "us" part of the process. The thread is quite long. All ideas were welcome. Some were adopted. I don't know the gentleman, never met him. But I'm very impressed by his achievement and wish him much success. Good job Robert. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Nest, Scamp, Escape are simply units that allow us to travel. Our trailer, now 27 years old allows us to go where ever we want in relative comfort. Cost to us $5500. I seriously doubt that an additional $42,000 would have made our travels significantly more enjoyable. The magic of traveling well exceeds the cost of the rig or it's amenities. Of course one should buy what ever one desires and can afford but it's really about traveling and experiencing the adventure.

We love our Scamp however we are nor silly enough to consider our Scamp the perfect trailer solution but the reality is I don't need perfection to park next to Brimstone Head on Fogo Island looking at a field of 90 Icebergs.

Generally we're parked there without seeing a single other fiberglass trailer or Airstream.

It;s not what trailer you own, but rather what you do with it. The learning, the fun, the adventure is what you do with what ever rolls behind your tow vehicle. All of life deals with what you do with your very limited time not with the type of vinyl you sit upon.

This is not to say I do not want success for the Nest, or any other trailer for that matter. I'm happiest when I see people actually doing something fun with their rig.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #35

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
steve that is funny. I used to sell to country clubs in the large cities they could have the snails and such on their menu s I call this the luxury crowd! They may hate snails but they eat them to well you know!

I would go to the country-country clubs the top seller Friday night was prime rib the men would go crazy over it or strip steaks. no never any snails on their menus!

to me the nest while nice looking does not fit my scheme in life I go to a lot of campgrounds with no concrete or a parking lot I sure wouldn't want to be tracking dirt in.

I will almost bet the company has a big credit line fixed up for financing those things!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #36

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
First off, I was waay low citing the $30,000 news reports. Base price: $45,900, two floorplans.

After someone apparently overslept, it is on their website:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #37

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
wow

I guess the big-hitters will be the only ones considering a nest!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Did anyone succeed in getting the video on their website to load?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #39

Name: Kat
Trailer: In the market!
British Columbia
Yup, I managed to watch it!
katnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Web site took forever to load and if there is a video there, I didn't have the patience to find it.