Bubba has posted a new Nest by Airstream video - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I really dont care for the "Nest" in general. For one, I have NEVER liked a "back door" because most campsites I go to are not set up for that. (Same for the Little Snoozy.) I cant believe no doors on the upper rear cabinets??? I personally do not care for that...everything will be seen and to me, an eyesore. For what it's worth, never had ONE minute's trouble with my Scamp cab. doors coming open. They REALLY ought to copy "Oliver" on this (Being that it IS an "Airstream"!) Oliver uses mirror doors that really make the interior look larger and brightens it up but that's just my- and my wife's- opinion. I DO like the "Sliding" cabinet doors on the front cabinets though. Never thought of that on an RV cabinet. hmmm.

A very "roomy"/storage-packed layout with that model although the bath is smaller than what's on my Scamp it appears. I DO like the concealable toilet paper compartment. I think that's a neat idea. Not sure I would go to the trouble to create one...maybe a small sealed cabinet to add to an existing bath? Again...hmmm

Ok, but, there are a couple of features on the Nest that have my attention and I WANT them on my Scamp which takes me back into "MOD" mode.

1) Pop-up plugins. Sweet! I have the perfect application need for that. BUT, will have to decide on it's locale and relation to the other items installed in my Scamp and make sure it's feasible

2) This one will happen soon! I have one of the "Dome" lights on the bulkhead of my 13'er that I had installed when my Scamp was new. You can turn it on when you walk in. A few years back, I converted it to LED. But, with what the guy just mentioned in the Nest, "Dimmable LED's"; I like that because I really dont have ANY "dim" light for the Scamp interior when the spouse has already gone to bed. So this WILL happen really soon.

So, I have to say, while I wont be buying a NEST anywhere in this century, THANKS Nest for a couple of COOL ideas.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #42

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
It used to be LED lights were sold as either dimmable or non-dimmable versions, I haven't looked in a while, but something to check.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #43

Not a bad idea. I'm into electronics and have a 12v dimmer I can test with. But this is really what I want to incorporate into my existing dome light and replace the switch with it. I think this is small enough to do it. Not sure how the "Nest" handles theirs.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/65...CABEgJItPD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
It used to be LED lights were sold as either dimmable or non-dimmable versions, I haven't looked in a while, but something to check.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While not practical in every situation, having the door in the rear lends opportunity for a very effective layout considering the size of the trailer. To be able to put all the tall stuff at one end allows all the space forward to be wide open and have lots of windows. There is no cabinetry corners to deal with as well.

I really have no issue with regards to campsite layout of the rear door, it is about 2-4 steps further at the most to anywhere you need to go. I would like have a wee awning over the door though.

But like many components of all of our trailers, there are things some would not care for. Many do not like E-W sleeping, the loss of truck bed storage in a fifth wheel, non washable interior walls, white interiors, oak interiors, and so on. It is a great thing there are options out there, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #45

And yes, the awning is another issue. You really cant find one "practical" to attach to a rear-door trailer. There IS one advantage you spoke of that alot of people want to take advantage of and that's being able to get your bikes, etc. through the rear door. While that doesnt apply to me, I can see where others will like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While not practical in every situation, having the door in the rear lends opportunity for a very effective layout considering the size of the trailer. To be able to put all the tall stuff at one end allows all the space forward to be wide open and have lots of windows. There is no cabinetry corners to deal with as well.

I really have no issue with regards to campsite layout of the rear door, it is about 2-4 steps further at the most to anywhere you need to go. I would like have a wee awning over the door though.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #46

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
round table

they should have included you guys in the round table when developing this thing!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #47

If you read the original post on this trailer, the guy actually DID come here for comments and I think actually changed some things based on complaints/recommendations.

No matter, you still will NOT please everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
they should have included you guys in the round table when developing this thing!

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #48

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
guess not

well the points raised are not in keeping with a luxury trailer! was that a long time in developing? I don't recall reading anything about it but I guess maybe you guys dreamed up this stuff after awhile!

whatever its not the end of the world but if you want to dazzle people into a potential sale better have plenty of ammunition!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
well the points raised are not in keeping with a luxury trailer! was that a long time in developing? I don't recall reading anything about it but I guess maybe you guys dreamed up this stuff after awhile!

whatever its not the end of the world but if you want to dazzle people into a potential sale better have plenty of ammunition!

bob
Bob, you should do a search back on Nest Caravan and read through some of the threads and posts on it. You have been a member for only 9 months, Robert Johans for 9 years, and the Nest has been in development for more than four years now. Robert was very open about what he was planning to do, listened to members ideas, and showed the various stages of building the first prototype.

He sold his concept to Airstream around two years ago now, and was hired on by them as a consultant, very happy with where they were wanting to take his concept.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #50
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Plus I posted links to two of the early Nest threads, just yesterday, and pointed out that Robert had lots of experience working with various FGRVs prior to designing one himself.

Good grief.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #51

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
FWIW, as I suggested in the earlier (but still running) thread, having the side dinette in our Casita enables us to leave the bed up all the time. To me, that's a disadvantage for the Nest.

If I were going to upgrade from our 17' Casita, I'd opt for a bed we could both get out of without one crawling over the other. And enough room on the floor to get past the dog!

So the smaller Nest wouldn't be on my list, even if I had $48k or so to blow on it.

I'm envious of the room my daughter and family have with their 20' Avion from 1963. It has an aluminum skin like an Airstream, too. Took a lot of work to get on the road, but the price was right!

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #52

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I just got an email from Airstream with some of the details on the Nest. It is a very nice trailer. A heavyset, painted frame, narrow door, front window, LP equipped, very expensive unit that has most of the features of my LIL Snoozy. Of course it has roof openings and a front window. Neither appeal to me. If this thing sells LiL Snoozy needs to raise their price.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote