Build your own travel trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Build your own travel trailer

I stumbled on this vintage ad for sale on ebay. Apparently you could buy a "Build your own travel trailer" Scamp kit.

Notice that in the ad the Scamp is being pulled by a Volkswagen Beetle.
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg  

Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yup! Burro did the same. A couple of posters have reported misalignment of the inner shell pieces, and I’ve often suspected those may have been one of the kit versions.

With Scamp, assembly variations would probably be less noticeable. Can’t imagine there are too many out there.

No comment on the Beetle except to note I did things 40 years ago that would not be acceptable today!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp Kit
Attached Thumbnails
ScampKit.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...........No comment on the Beetle except to note I did things 40 years ago that would not be acceptable today!
As for me, not only wouldn't I, but most likely couldn't...
Old 05-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #5

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamp Kit
Wow!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Been a long time since I've seen all of this posted...LOVE the "kit" idea! If it was about 1/2 price.. it might be considerable to do...but I SERIOUSLY doubt it'd been much cheaper. Anyone have ANY idea as to what it would have cost back then vs a built one?

I can guarantee you, if MINE was a kit, it be minus about 2000 caps one way or the other!!

Good post/topic for a change. Thanks. Doc/DD.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

Redding, California
Registry
I've seen here on the forums where an FGRV company has gone belly up and someone bought their molds. They always seem to want to dive deep and build a complete ready-to-go trailer. I think it's a natural thing.

But since there appear to be a lot of resourceful people wanting to restore, rebuild, and/or customize an old trailer, it seems to me that there might be a market for a bare-bones trailer where all the structural components are installed, and everything else is available à la carte for self-installation. Kind of like a rolling chassis. Tail/brake lights so you could pull it home, and an "idea manual" with instructions for keeping things safe, such as adding additional wiring, and where (and where not) to cut holes in order to maintain structural integrity.

Ah, if I were 30-years younger.... could be a fun business.

--Harold
Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If you want to build your own check out Wee Roll Campers. Trailers ready to make into campers (non fiberglass). They seem to be built pretty good and they do custom builds.
Eddie
https://www.weeroll.com/
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The original add for my Campster showed a Beattle towing it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
As for me, not only wouldn't I, but most likely couldn't...
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I’m thankful I love to read instruction manuals, so if it had been substantially discounted, I might have given it a whirl. Sure, it would have taken 20 years, but you all know I’d get my money back out of it—plus some. However, I love Harold’s ala carte idea. Much more doable...

“...it seems to me that there might be a market for a bare-bones trailer where all the structural components are installed, and everything else is available à la carte for self-installation. Kind of like a rolling chassis. Tail/brake lights so you could pull it home, and an "idea manual" with instructions for keeping things safe, such as adding additional wiring, and where (and where not) to cut holes in order to maintain structural integrity.”

--Harold[/QUOTE]
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Actually I would love to have a build it yourself ket. Like a 16 foot probably or maybe a 20. But then mostly put your own stuff in. I would love to custom build a ham shack on wheels.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Actually I would love to have a build it yourself ket. Like a 16 foot probably or maybe a 20. But then mostly put your own stuff in. I would love to custom build a ham shack on wheels.
You should check out the Facebook group: Cargo Trailer Conversions. Some builds are absolutely fantastic, others look like someone put a garden shed on a trailer. It's all about design and skill in the build out.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
I have one of the kits. I couldn't find the serial number. When I bought it I was told (by 2nd owner) that it was either a 72 or a 77. He registered it as a 77. The build was done pretty well, couple of things I wouldn't do, but everyone is like that. It is still a work in progress. I've put lots of miles on it, it does what I need.
JMolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Thanks Donna for the picture. I'll put it with my records.
JMolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #15

Name: Darryl
Trailer: Bigfoot
Wisconsin
In early August 1978 I received delivery of my Scamp kit. Unfortunately, Scamp had not properly packed the fiberglass “furniture” inside and it was a mess. I refused the first shipment and had Scamp come pick it up. I elected to drive to Backus to pickup my Scamp kit, inspecting it as packed for me to haul back to northern Wisconsin. Within three weeks of long work days I had a high quality competed Scamp for about 30% under retail cost. It was NOT easy as the Scamp Kit assembly manual was the size and usefulness of a comic book (not professionally written). The phone calls to Harold at Scamp, arranging tech call backs ran to many dozens - a secondary cost in those days of long distance charges.
But, as the kid of a perfectionist wood shop teacher, I made many upgrades such as cutting all cabinetry openings with radius corners rather than crude over-cut 90° corners. All the acorn nuts (to receive pop rivets) were pre metal etched, primed and painted matching white. They never rusted. I distinctly remember installing/glueing the huge piece of Ensolite to the ceiling, with help of my wife - not fun. That Scamp has been to both Coasts, Canada many times and every camping season from the northern woods to White Sands of New Mexico. My son now proudly owns it, with refit solid oak cabinetry doors, remade cushions and curtains, new door, new plexiglass windows, new axle with brakes ...
So, the Scamp kit is my gift to our family that keeps on giving these many years of camping. The Scamp was an important part of our family’s outdoors camping culture.
DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
If you are really interested in building your own camper, you might give Snoozy ll a call and see if they are selling empty shells. It is all fiberglass, including the floor and a great platform to build on. I built my own from a LiL Snoozy shell. It was not a kit except for the molded fiberglass wet bath area. I had to source all the components myself, but we got exactly what we wanted.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #17

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
If you really want to build one yourself look for a "project" that stalled. There is always someone who has a fixer upper that loose motivation once it is time to put things back. When I sold my Scamp I took one of those projects as trade. For basically a $1000.00 (I allowed too much) I got a 17' Boler shell on a frame. Now I am only limited by my imagination. That's right my imagination, and my wallet. Yep my imagination and my wallet well and my skill. That's all I'm limited by, my imagination, my wallet and my skill, and well my tools. I'm only limited my my imagination, my wallet, my skills, and my tools, and.........I'm screwed.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
They get a bit more adventurous in Australia. Companies supply plans if you want to build your own, or some just design and build their own " dream" example attached
Attached Thumbnails
large-caravan-complete-1-1024x768.jpg  
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #19

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
If you really want to build one yourself look for a "project" that stalled. There is always someone who has a fixer upper that loose motivation once it is time to put things back. When I sold my Scamp I took one of those projects as trade. For basically a $1000.00 (I allowed too much) I got a 17' Boler shell on a frame. Now I am only limited by my imagination. That's right my imagination, and my wallet. Yep my imagination and my wallet well and my skill. That's all I'm limited by, my imagination, my wallet and my skill, and well my tools. I'm only limited my my imagination, my wallet, my skills, and my tools, and.........I'm screwed.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #20

Burro sold kits too. I scooped this from the Wayback Machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Burro-Kits.JPG