Bunks in a 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Bunks in a 13' Scamp

Have any of the adults out there used the bunks in your 13' Scamp? How much weight can upper bunk hold? Thanks and we are really, really anxious for Spring.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The upper bunk will hold until it falls, then pray you're not the person on the bottom. There are those that have successfully used the upper bunk that exceeds Scamps recommendation. When it comes to safety, I would do everything I could to make sure no one gets hurt no matter how many people respond it's safe to more than the recommended weight limit. It would only take one time to really ruin a camping trip.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have... or umm not wanting to give my weight away I should say some adults have ;-) slept on the upper bunk on my 16' which is the same set up as the 13'..... all have been 135lbs or less. I do have an extra support post on mine - which I put in the middle portion of the bunk.

BTW Donna is correct its not something I would do every day, if I didn't have to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

I think the weak point for the bunk isn't the poles, it's the portion fiberglassed to the front of the trailer. You're putting a lot of trust in the person who did the fiberglass work. If you can put supports there to the bottom cabinet (like the poles)... think removable.. it would certain add to the stability and weight limit.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the weak point for the bunk isn't the poles, it's the portion fiberglassed to the front of the trailer. You're putting a lot of trust in the person who did the fiberglass work. If you can put supports there to the bottom cabinet (like the poles)... think removable.. it would certain add to the stability and weight limit.
Your right Donna, not something you want to do if you don't need to. Actually have only done it a few times when I have an unexpected in the middle of the night full trailer - i.e. people sleeping in tent spooked out by bears or flooded out of their tent due to rain. I did when I first got the trailer remove the upper bunk and change out the hinges and screws that attach it at the trailer to something a little bigger in hopes of improving its stability a little... its works with under 135lbs a few times but I don't think I would do it on a regular bases if I could avoid it.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Bunks

Thank you for your replies. Your advice is well taken and I will not put my wife in danger of the upper bunk crashing down on her.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Rotted wooden scamp bunk support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here is a pic I took of the fiberglassed wood support your talking about. I took the pic on Sunday 2/23/2014. The rubber around the front window was extremely dry and cracked allowing rain to get in and rot the fiberglassed wooden bunk support into wood chips.
Attached Images

Rickl238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm surprised Scamp doesn't list a weight limit for that bunk!

Just took a look at the video showing the bunk/instructions and was surprised to see that they didn't use a piano hinge there as other mfr's have done. Video Link. They mention no limits in the video, either, which leads me to believe it's probably sufficient to support an adult weighing below 175 pounds or so. There are some folks who do use it for grownups, too.... here's one example.

Still, I agree with Carol that the hinges might be a weak point- easy to remedy by simply adding a few more hinges. This of course assuming that your 2011 has sound wood at that point, unlike the (older?) Scamp posted about by Rick just now.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm trying to recall where I read it but I seem to recall the upper bunk had a weight limit of 80 lbs. But I'm betting it was on this forum someplace.

I just re-glassed a new front attachment shelf for my top bunk, and I would not tend to trust it for anything over 100 lbs. Could get away with more weight (as some have) but over time I would expect the extra weight to gradually break the fiberglass and bond attaching that wood shelf on the front wall leading to sudden failure.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I'm trying to recall where I read it but I seem to recall the upper bunk had a weight limit of 80 lbs. But I'm betting it was on this forum someplace

The manual that came with my Scamp does not say anything about a weight limit on the bunk, neither did the one I downloaded a newer version off Scamps site when I purchased the trailer. Haven't looked at the most recent one on their site though. Pretty sure I first heard about the load limit on the bunk here, which is why I added an extra support and checked for water damage under the window and changed out the hinges and screws. Having said that I still wouldn't like putting to much weight on it on a regular bases.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #11

Michigan
The way mine was mounted the hinge just holds it in place, when swung up into position the bunk part lays on top of the shelf. Over laps by an inch or two for the full length but puts no weight on the hinge directly.

If however the hinges/screws were to let it slide out by an inch or two it would drop. So good call on making sure that hinges are secure.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #12

The hinges on the gaucho for my Scamp are an offset type and are totally solid affixed. No way a piano hinge would work due to the curvature of the front. I found the hinges were fine, its the attachment point which is just fiberglassed to the body that I have an issue with. The hinge is used to allow the "back" to flip up and rest on that piece that's fiberglassed to the body.
Attached Thumbnails
offset.gif  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #13

Michigan
So Donna do your hinges screw to the undersides of both the bunk and the shelf? Screws going up into the bottom of the wood.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
So Donna do your hinges screw to the undersides of both the bunk and the shelf? Screws going up into the bottom of the wood.
Yes. However because the bunk rests on the fiberglass "shelf" there's no stress whatsoever on the hinges when in bunk bed mode.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp's answer

I called the factory to ask the very question. Their verbal answer was 150 pounds. Since nothing is in writing, I figure they haven't done any serious analysis or testing to back it up. So, I guess common sense rules. My Scamp is pretty new, so the ledge under the window appears solid (and, as noted in an earlier post, carries the weight, not the hinge). Another potential vulnerability I have wondered about is the bent carpenter's staple that is welded to the upright and catches the screw to support the front edge. Has anyone had any experience with failures there?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I called the factory to ask the very question. Their verbal answer was 150 pounds. Since nothing is in writing, I figure they haven't done any serious analysis or testing to back it up. .....
Well that is the most authoritive source I have heard from. "Scamp says" beat the heck out of "I think I read someplace". Thanks for taking the time to find out.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I called the factory to ask the very question. Their verbal answer was 150 pounds. Since nothing is in writing, I figure they haven't done any serious analysis or testing to back it up. So, I guess common sense rules. My Scamp is pretty new, so the ledge under the window appears solid (and, as noted in an earlier post, carries the weight, not the hinge). Another potential vulnerability I have wondered about is the bent carpenter's staple that is welded to the upright and catches the screw to support the front edge. Has anyone had any experience with failures there?
Glad to hear Scamp was able to give you some weight indications... as said way better than I think I simple read it here! LOL

Re the welded piece on the support post.... well my trailer is a 92 and I know for a fact the couple who had it prior to me (i've had it 6 years) used the bunks all the time. The first two years I had the trailer I had the bunks always up. Now only use it a few times a year... so far no failure of the support post.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #18

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Carol,
When spring finally arrives and you get the trailer open, would you mind sending a picture of the support post you added? Just wondering if it was another Scamp post and receiver, or if you crafted something yourself. Further, I wondered if you put it between the 2 support posts on the outer edge, or in another spot. Thanks a bunch!

CampyTime (Wendy)
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #19

Registry
Wendy the post is the same one that Scamp sells (actually got it from them) and just added another of the round chrome base it sits in (same as the original) on the lower fiberglass bench. Just placed it bit closer to the centre of the bunk than the two originals were placed.

Tags
scamp