Burro old camper question. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: flagstaff
Missouri
Burro old camper question.

After looking at several scamp, casita, burro type campers I have found that the 17' Burros seem to be set up best for what I want to use it for. I plan to turn this camper into a traveling engraving studio and hotel room as I travel around the country guest teaching engraving at various host studios.

I found a 17 widebody burro in a neighboring state. It is a 1986 with no AC, no heater, no awning, no bathroom. The owner is asking $5500 for it. From the pics it does look to be in really good condition and looks as if it has been well taken care of.

To be 27 years old and have NO amenities $5500 seems a bit high to me when I compare it to what I can get for that same money on the classifieds here and on craiglsist ads. I can find several FGs that are 10 years newer and have at least a working AC and heater for that same price range.

Am I wrong in thinking that price is a bit high? Would $4000 to $4500 be a more realistic price for that camper? I only ask because I may end up giving the guy an offer on it. I don't want to be a jerk and low ball him by a bunch, yet I don't want to pay more than that trailer is really worth either.

IF I buy it I will have to have at a minimum an AC unit and a furnace installed in it. That's going to cost a fair chunk of change.

I welcome any thoughts you all have on it.

Ray
Ray Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I agree with you eval.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd compare prices here. Don't compare FG prices to stick built prices, the depreciation curve is vastly different.

If it is in good shape, $5500 is a fair price, especially if there is no floor rot, sagging suspension, frame cracks or door sag.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: flagstaff
Missouri
Thomas,

I am only comparing FG to FG I have looked at Burros, Scamps and Casitas. I have not even considered or looked at a stick built camper.

Ray
Ray Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cover View Post
I have not even considered or looked at a stick built camper.
Ray
LOL, good man!

Seriously though, the FG eggs sure seem to last for decades.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cover View Post
Thomas,

I am only comparing FG to FG I have looked at Burros, Scamps and Casitas. I have not even considered or looked at a stick built camper.

Ray
OK, just making sure. Look at the link for sold FGRVs and see what they are selling for in your area in camping season. Although these are asking, not selling prices, I have not seen considerable discounting. YMMV
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
FiberglassRV4SALE is the site for assessment of the market for used eggs. The polite approach to offers is to first ask if the seller will entertain an offer. Don't pay more than you must according to your sense of the market but don't assume you won't have to pay more than you wish. If an asking price is stated as "firm" I take the seller's word for it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro