Burro Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Bigfoot
Is there anywhere we can go to look at the history of this manufacturer. Their website seems to be fully operational as if they were still in business but I have read that they closed down several years ago. If it is available we would like to know when the last trailers were manufactured and what has happened to the company. Why it is gone etc.
Donna & Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Burros were built originally in Sac City Iowa, then they moved production to Plymouth Minn. in the early 80s. (I may have that backwards.. my 1980 was built in Plymouth. Originally, I thought it was from Iowa, but my docs say otherwise)

Some time in the late 80s, early 90s, it was moved to Escondido, Ca., where the wide bodies were developed and made.

The molds were, and probably still are in Mexico, near T-wanna. The shells were shipped up to Escondido and finsihed in a very small pole building.

They went out of business in the late 90s due to poor management. They had lots of delivery issues stemming from financial problems.

No one knows why thier website is still up. It could be from hopes of bringing the business back, or they paid for a long domian and site hosting spell and it remains because the server was paid for.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Gina, I think I remember back in 97 or 98 you could buy these in a kit. Does that sound familiar???
Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Is there anywhere we can go to look at the history of this manufacturer.
There is some good information if you follow [b]all of the links in this post:
Burro History
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #5

Registry
THATS the thread I was looking for. Looks like the sailbaot link is dead now.

I was under the impression that the wide bodies came out in California, not Iowa. But Roger seemed to have a hard line on them, the Not Wides, anyway.

Through one of my work escapades, a co worker ran across a vendor in Mexico. During his vist to this vendor that makes Fiberglass autobodies as well as small molded graphite and glass parts, (Mostly golf club stuff) he told me he saw "A buncha trailer shells that look like your little camper" in a side yard.

I am waiting for a chance to go to this vendor to see for myself.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gina, the wide bodies were introduced in Sac City. I have seen '86 wide body 17's. Mine was an '87 and I believe there are out there as early as '85s. The 14' widebody was the California invention.

The kit trailers were a finished, weather-tight hull and running gear with windows installed. The interiors were the "kit". I have the original brochures from Sac City and Escondido, although sadly my Burro now lives in Chicago.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #7

Registry
My brochure is from Plymouth.. between us, we got em all!

Has anyone actually ever seen a 14? You see the 17s frequently, but I have never seen a 14.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
My brochure is from Plymouth.. between us, we got em all!

Has anyone actually ever seen a 14? You see the 17s frequently, but I have never seen a 14.

Hi Gina,
Here is my ex 14' Burro that now resides in Toledo Ohio.
I prefer my 13' Scamp. It has more usable storage. There is almost as much interior space in the Scamp due the the fact that the Burro has an interior fiberglass shell. The only advantage is there is about 2 to 3 inches more headroom in the Burro.
The Scamp tows much easier due to it's lower and narrower profile and the Burro weighs much more. The Scamp costs me about 3 mpg and the Burro cost me 5 or 6 mpg.
The one thing that I really disliked about the Burro is you have to take the tables down or they fall down if get off of a smooth paved road.
For overall useabality and towability the Scamp is much better in my opinion especially if you have a smaller tug.

John
Attached Thumbnails
burro_003.jpg   burro_008.jpg  

burro_007.jpg   burro_009.jpg  

John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
To add to the history of the Burro, ours is circa 1978. I am not sure where it was built. Is there a place to find this information?

Interesting how different the inside of that Burro is from ours 13' one, although we remodeled ours to look more like this 14 foot version. For us, the headroom was the winning characteristic. My husband enjoys being able to stand up. We noticed at Lanesboro that he could not stand in all the trailers we toured. But we sure do envy the size of the closets in many of the other models.

CindyL
Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My 81' was a kit from Plymouth ,MN.
Kit meant you added the inside doors,cut holes for the water and power installed the curtain rods, installed the top vent (hole already cut I think) etc. Basically all the finish work.
The Door and windows were installed at the factory.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #11

Registry
John, all the comparisons you mention are true, but..

I prefer the Burro for two reasons... Miine is insulated, and NO RIVETS!!!!!

It is reasonably easy to add stuff to the walls inside, with no worry of leaks thru the shell.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
John, all the comparisons you mention are true, but..

I prefer the Burro for two reasons... Miine is insulated, and NO RIVETS!!!!!

It is reasonably easy to add stuff to the walls inside, with no worry of leaks thru the shell.
Gina, you are right about the rivets and the insulation. I should have been more specific.
I was comparing the 14' Burro to my 13' Scamp. The little room you gainIn the 14' Burro compared to the 13' Scamp is not worth the extra weight and the larger mass you are moving air within my opinion.
There is an old 13' Burro near my home that I have been trying to buy for over a year. It needs an axel, tires, propane tank, complete interior renovation and a paint job to make it look good. The lady says her dad paid $4000.00 for it and she will not take a penny less. If she had been more reasonable on her price I would be towing a Burro instead of my Scamp.
Sorry about your cancelled vacation.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
The lady says her dad paid $4000.00 for it and she will not take a penny less.
There had better be some gold plated fixtures in there.

Tags
burro