Burro? uhaul? other? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Hi,

I am new here and do not have a camper, although I am looking pretty hard. I have never seen an egg style camper close up and thus remain clueless about them.

I am impressed by the Burros and Uhauls I have seen on the net because of the inner liner which seems to be easy to maintain. I have also noted that they seem to go for less money than the Scamps and others. This makes me wonder if there is something about them that is not so desirable.

Seeking comments please----
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Judith:

I have owned both a Burro and now a UHaul. I have not noticed that the Burros go for less, but I have noticed that the UHauls do. Neither is still made, so both are used when they are for sale. The Uhauls were only made in the 80's, while the Burros continued to be made into the 90's, so you are paying for a vintage trailer.

Both have the double shell. Some Burros have insulation between them; ours was a '78 and did not have this. The Uhauls are made extra strong, as they were rental units. One person told me that they were made to fall to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and survive. Consequently, they are the heavier of the two, so they do not work for some people.

I also think that UHaul suffers from lack of knowledge. Many people know Scamp and Casita. I cannot tell you how many times we are told, "I did not know Uhaul rented trailers." Last weekend a guy said that he had camped all his life and all over and had never seen one (although that must have meant that he had not seen any type of fiberglass trailer).

Both trailers are taller than Scamps of that era, something that we found out by accident when buying the Burro, but that we continued to keep in mind when we looked for a Burro replacement, as my husband is tall.

I prefer the style of the Burro and Uhaul over others. I did not know about the Uhaul until we were looking for a larger Burro and found the larger UHaul by accident. (We loved our little Burro; we were just looking for something larger and with a bathroom. I got the Burro style in purchasing our UHaul VT. The VTs are hard to find for sale, as few were made and few survive. If Carolyn has not sold her UHaul VT on this forum, it is a rare trailer.)
I like the smooth walls of both trailers. I think rat fur would make me feel closed in. Some people complain it looks like hospital walls but you can do something that those people can't; affix things to the wall with suction. I also have put pictures on our wall.

That being said, there is a caution against Uhaul that is not there with other trailers. In an effort to keep people from stealing the trailer, the wheels of the Uhaul are proprietary. When you need to replace things like hubs, wheels, etc, it can become problematic. Our Uhaul dealer sold us rims but it seems as though most will not. We stumbled across a dealer who still had new rims that fit that he sold to us when we needed a new rim. Other UHaul owners have discovered an old car that used the same type of rims that they used with the addition of a spacer. Some found older junked Uhaul trailers whose rims they cannabalized (Yes, there are trailers made today for UHauls whose wheels match their fiberglass trailer.) Still others replace the axel and wheels with new, so that they match the common style.

There is nothing wrong with either trailer. Consider them a bargain. They may need fixing up, but then, so do other fiberglass trailers of the era. One of the members over on uhaulcamper.com got a UHaul CT that was one of the more beat-up ones that I have seen. He fixed it up and took it from Canada to Florida to camp last year. We bought one of the oldest Burros I have seen when we had ours. We fixed it up and took it from Illinois to Yellowstone to camp.

Our UHaul has changed our lives. We have traveled on vacations to places we likely would never have gone to our entire lives. Instead of asking if we can afford vacation, we ask where we should go this year.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul_daylight.jpg   Burro_by_Lake.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Judith
We are in the Reading,Pa area and if your up this way we would be happy to show you our 1994 16' Casita SD....... We really like this trailer alot but lately have been interested in seeing a 15' Escape trailer. From what i understand there are no rivets outside and not sure how they do it (it may be double walled or reinforced mounts epoxied to the inside) but it sure looks like a well built trailer..... the burro also seems nice........There are many Brands and to me any glass trailer is "Class"
Joe/Lin
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Judith,

My trailer is still for sale and is currently at a campground near the Pennsylvania/Ohio border. I bought this trailer when I was looking for a Casita. It had all the same qualities that a Casita had for much less money. It's a personal preference on the walls in these little eggs, but after I had seen a older casita with hi/low carpet on the walls in the price range I could afford, it wasn't something I personally liked. They have since changed that interior carpet on the walls to more of a "rat fur" as they call it type of covering. Casita makes a beautiful camper don't get me wrong.

Uhauls have no exterior 'rivets' like I read about on Scamps. Like Cindy was saying, they're built like tanks...they had to be to endure abuse from being in a rental fleet.

I have no complaints about my trailer whatsoever. People are amazed that it's a mid 80's model and when I attended a rally last year and was camped among newer Casitas I fit right in!

Good luck in finding the trailer that you are searching for. I wil be taking more photos of my trailer later on today and posting them on a photo web site that will hold many pictures. Maybe then you can get a better idea of what Uhauls are all about!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Burros were originally built in Minnesota then later in Calif. The Calif operation didn't last long before folding. Their web site still trudges along like a zombie. I believe it is kept by the webmaster as an online portfolio.

I remember seeing U-Hauls when they were in rental service.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If you are thinking newer there is Eggcamper in Michigan. They are very similar to the Burro (inner walls and all). The fellow I bought My Burro from got a new Eggcamper, very pretty it is too.
Probably not many used ones out there yet.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, u-haul, uhaul