But I Have To Pass You - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1984
Towed the trailer to a friends place 4 hours away. Had a nice weekend and towed back. Got cut off twice and had a driver stop dead on front of us without any signals. Found out just how good the trucks brakes are. One nice lady pulled up at a light in the right turn lane and then when it changed she cut in front and I almost took out her fender.Also a nice caddy changed lanes giving me about 2 feet of clearance and then slowed down. My horn works!!! Two miles down the road he was in the slow lane of a passing area, creeping along.
How do you deal with your aggression??
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: James... Drive a transit bus in London
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp
VODKA! ...when I get to my finally destination......oh kidding somewhat ya know after a few speeding tickets i actually learned to slow down...I *try* not to let someones elses poor planning cause me grief...they were late its causing them stress.....I'm going camping and know soon enough that i will be in the woods and they will be stuck in the car rat race
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
When it gets like that, I drive 55 and let the other guys be the frustrated ones.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Hey James! I see you're in the Toronto area. I did some contract work in Don Mills a few years ago, and can't think that the traffic has gotten any better. So your friend who's four hours away is, what, the other side of town?

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Like DaveK, I slow down. Actually I pity bad drivers because I know their insurance rates have to be MUCH higher than mine and that's enough to make me smile!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #7

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Also a nice caddy changed lanes giving me about 2 feet of clearance and then slowed down.
Seems to me the real question is: What was a golf cart doing on the road in the first place???

Actually... My ability to deal with that sort of behavior has improved markedly over the last few years. While some of it is undoubtedly age, most of it comes from the from our moving to a small town. My "commute" is under 1.5 miles - one way. While that obviously helps the day to day suffering, I've found when I DO have to deal with longer drives and traffic, that I actually handle it a lot better than I used to. I think I just learned not to associate driving with the idea of being in a hurry and stress.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Probably, getting older has mellowed me, but aggression isn't much of a problem these days. When I hook up the trailer, I try to put my "timeless" hat on. I set the cruise at 90 (Kph). I enjoy the scenery. Things take as long as they take, and you get there when you get there. (There should be a book called "Zen and the Art of Trailer Towing"). I also take the smallest paved road I can find to the destination; usually less traffic and slower speed zones, along with better scenery and a better chance of actually stopping and checking out that new discovery. A good example of this was my last trip, trying to stay on the Great River Road as opposed to the freeways.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Hey James! I see you're in the Toronto area. I did some contract work in Don Mills a few years ago, and can't think that the traffic has gotten any better. So your friend who's four hours away is, what, the other side of town?
I'm 100 clicks west of you, in Woodstock, and we went to Orono near Newcastle by way of no 9 Hwy. I don't like the idea of towing through TO and past Oshawa on 401. Orangeville now has a nice by-pass but Newmarket's still a b***** [Big headache], Pretty drive through Uxbridge.
I know that no one likes to follow a trailer and I'm no better. Yes, I can line them up behind me with the best. I drive 55 on the highways and 65 on the four lane ones. That's 5 mph over the limit most of the time but I'm still the slow guy on the road. We play guessing games as to how far before the guy that just past us will turn off onto another road. I was justsharing a little frustration and wondering what others do.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I was justsharing a little frustration and wondering what others do.
Verbalize while playing on the joke "You're and ***hole". That is try to keep track of the two biggest wholes of the day and imagine which one would win when you call them up at the end of the day pretending to be the other whole, with invitations to a physical altercation.

One really does not want to do much else, with the horror stories of road rage these days. Who wants to start glassing in bullet holes in their rigs?

I have to wonder about the # of bad drivers on the road today. Even with all the hype about the new racing laws. By now, most should know that doing 50 Km over the limit results in an immediate suspension of your licence, impounding of your vehicle and thousands of $$$ in fines. Believe it or not, over 160 got nailed for "racing" this Labour day weekend on Ontario roads.

Economically one would be money in pocket chartering a chopper.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I just recently started slowing down to about 55-58mph from 65-72mph because of the price of gas and i had to comment to my wife that i am actually much calmer driving now and actually enjoy the ride much more...... If I do see traffic is backing up behind me i will once in a while when the road gets wide move to the right to let everyone by...... when on a three lane interstate i just stay to the right (the granny lane)and hold it about 58mph and it works great.... I get to my destination and don't feel all stressed out.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I feel your pain (anger)......... After a 2500 mile trip to Glacier (our first with the Casita) I was blown away at the dim witt's! Then our several hundred mile trips only confirm, some people shouldn't be allowed to drive. I love the ones who just have to pass you only to slow down to a crawl. But I think the ones that get me most is those who don't know how to merge on to a freeway........... Hello, get going or get off! As others have said, I think age has mellowed (or the thought that some looney could emerge) how I would respond. Years ago I would have made sure they knew they were stupid. Now I only shake my head and make verbal comments to myself. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Simple solution

Click image for larger version

Name:	mban1347l.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	15543
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
When I see people driving like idiots, I just think of this guy whose wallet is $12,000 lighter
Speed.pdf
, makes going the speed limit much more attractive.

When I stopped having to do the daily commute to an office job I became a much more relaxed driver, no rushing, no road rage. Also, with gas prices the way they are slow acceleration and coasting to red lights makes a big difference in the gas tank/wallet. Not worrying about what other drivers think helps a lot.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
I was a speed freak..80-85 was my norm. But when we got the Casita I slowed to 60-65 and wow
wow what a difference in my attitude. No more getting stressed out and I don't care how many cars and trucks pass me. Now I drive 60-62 with or without the casita in tow and am much happier.
As for folks cutting me off...Nope not a one.
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Can you imagine being on the other end of the line and being the final person to hear the voice of someone talking on their cell phone?

As I've gained a few years, I think about priorities and responsibilities a little more often. Do my responses to other driver's actions reflect my concern for the passenger in my vehicle? That person most often is the one who is the most precious to me, my wife. Responding to much of life, as would a child, can be joyful, but when driving a motor vehicle it is absolutely essential to grow up and act like a responsible adult (meaning with wisdom)! How I wish parents could impress this on their children instead of showing them irresponsible behavior.

When I was new to driving and had a tendency to speed, I used to ask myself if I could drive fast enough to make up for the 45 minutes it would take the officer to issue the citation. That reminder worked to relax my lead foot! In these days, the high price of fuel has a similar effect, particularly when towing our RV. I'd much rather drive at 65, but that extra 10MPH comes at a $cost of 4 miles per gallon with our rig.

Relax, enjoy safe travels and be here to share your stories,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

We have also slowed down to 55 to 60 mph, mostly we try for the 55 mph and it does keep the stress down. We like to keep off the interstates as much as possible. Near the big cities is when we boost the mph a litte to the high rate of 60 or 62 mph. I know, a speed demon for sure. The main reason, of course, is the much better gas milage we are getting.

DesertHawk

Edit add: We have not gotten so slow in our car however, still staying with the posted speed limit. Except in California where as you get closer to the LA area the slower the speed limit is but faster the traffic starts to flow. To feel save, I just stay with the traffic flow. My brother in law (who grew up out there) advised me to do so, the police, normally, will not bother you by doing so. They are after the ones who are cutting in and out of lane, cutting people off, etc. We have gone into this with the Scamp in tow, had to be a little faster but not as fast as with the car. I have noticed the urgency of drivers with cars with California, Arizona & Texas plates (as well as some other states) on the Interstates and Hwys. It could be as some wrote, the stress of having to get to work, get home, get to the next stop light will not leave them to relax and have a nice drive even on vacation. Too Bad! I was one of the Texas plates going as fast as I could at one time, not because of work, just because I was young and liked speed. Speeding tickets and getting older, having kids, and realizing how easy one can kill oneself takes the need of speeding away. Granted, if allowed to do so without consequences, I be flying along at 80 or 90 mph as in the the olden days. Did you know, a '65 Mustang GT with 3 speed manual transmission would only go 112 mph top out? But man could it get going from a start! Why did I sell that car? I remember cruising along at about 80 mph and passing a Dodge Charger on my way home from college. The Charger then passes me, but slows back down. So I pass him even when he is trying to keep me from it. Then he passes me even when I try to keep him from doing so, back and worth for several passes. Until finally he just let me go back to my cruising speed. His top speed was much higher than mine, but getting to it the Mustang was quicker. This was on the old Hwy between San Antonio and McAllen around December of 1965. Each time he would get around me, he would slow down to 70 or so. I was just wanting to get home. It did give me a memory.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Did you know, a '65 Mustang GT with 3 speed manual transmission would only go 112 mph top out?
Shulda had a 65 Mustang with a 289 and an automatic.... I KNOW it's capable of over 125mph. Thank goodness no blow outs, nor cops and common sense prevailed before I finished putting my foot through the firewall.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
VODKA! ...when I get to my finally destination......oh kidding somewhat ya know after a few speeding tickets i actually learned to slow down...I *try* not to let someones elses poor planning cause me grief...they were late its causing them stress.....I'm going camping and know soon enough that i will be in the woods and they will be stuck in the car rat race

Bourbon works for me......
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Having other drivers cut you off, often in a very aggressive manner, is indeed irritating (even infuriating!!!). A great deal more so for me when I used to haul horses and the sudden braking on my part to avoid collisions could cause injury to my horses and certainly helped teach them that trailers were not safe places to be. I have fewer qualms about sudden braking with my Escape - worst case so far, I have stuff end up on the floor in the front of the trailer - but no blood or emergency trips to the vet with cut up horses.

Unfortunately, there's not very much you can do about the type-A, vindictive personalities of some of those drivers sharing the road (however briefly as they speed by) with us.

My answer is just stay alert, know that it's going to happen, and have a great supply of relaxing music for the CD player.

I've been trying to think of an appropriate large bumper sticker for the camper that could communicate my feelings to those idiots but haven't thought of anything that gets the message across without being offensive or potentially escalating their hostility.

edited to add: And yes, the thought of a large, cold alcoholic beverage at the end of the day goes a ways to calm my nerves.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote