Butane stove exploded - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Butane stove exploded

Butane stove exploded
Daughter and husband are tent camping at Lake Louise. They were doing eggs over easy and about ready to turn them when the Storm Master butane stove exploded.
Parts melted the fly on the tent, the table cloth and became embedded in the cooler. Luckily, neither of them were hit by shrapnel.
On Googling, I came across this story on a ban on sales of these stoves.
Gas stove warnings renewed after family injured in explosion | Sunshine Coast Daily
Attached Thumbnails

Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
After reading many of the comments I think I found the fault? It appears they have a faulty eject button and the canister self ejects while the stove is running. Not good. Glad no one was hurt. Can't view the pictures. I'm not a member of the Escape forum. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That kind of stove has been on my wish list to buy for a few years. Very glad I have held off on the purchase. I am thinking I will hold off a while longer to make sure I don't get one of the defective ones.

thanks for posting this information, it was very good to know.

Very glad to hear your family is OK.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

From what I've read so far, it appears that it could be user error contributing to cause the can to overheat and explode. Most recent reports were early 2015.
Pic is of my canister. Second pic, part of stove punctured cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
butane canister.jpg   Storm Master.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yeow! Scary event! Glad they are ok, that's the important thing. I hope they don't let this incident ruin their perception of an otherwise trip.

Tell them it was not a butane, but a "boom-tane" stove.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I've got a 2 burner Coleman that has served me well for going on 30yrs. They still make them using the same design. Lights every time and the naphtha is cheap, wouldn't trade it for anything.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Thanks for the heads-up!
We just bought one of these (Coleman version)
I have never seen a product which worked so well and conveniently, also easy to keep clean. It came with a nice case too!

Too good to be true?? Hope not, but I'm sure gonna take all precautions and see what more info comes out.
Its not clear yet whether it was a defective can, defective stove, user error, or a design that is just too dangerous to be of practical use.
I bought something like thirty cans of fuel for it too!

Ours is a different design from the one in the picture in the article. On ours, the canister is below the plane of the burner.
Did yours look like the one in the foreground of the photo or more like the one in the background?

Having worked in refinery and around machinery all my life I've seen a lot stuff blow up and for a lot of reasons ...some completely unexpected even when all procedures were followed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

I think I read that there are 60 million of these stoves in use world wide.
I had two of these and the one that's still in one piece was used in my tent trailer ( some ten years old ).
Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Butane Chef Stove Recalls

Consumer Protection recalled Kenyon International butane stoves (made in Korea) in July.2001. Affected portable butane cooker models and model numbers, as of April 2015 are listed here: https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i...itemId/1069239

Sterno recalled models STO6001 and 50006 in Dec. 2010.

I have used a iWatani Cassette-feu butane single burner stove for years without any problems...love it!
Hope this helps.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I guess since they all did not get a recall it implies that there are differences in design. Glad no one was hurt by the failure of this one.

If I recall some of the types of butane fuel would not work at really cold temperatures. Had to be a blend, the blended item is propane. You will get higher pressures at warmer ambient temperatures with butane/propane mixes that are required for colder ambient temps. Not sure how much it matters but do know the cans are supposed to handle a max of about 30% propane, which is a cold weather mix.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Was about 50 F at the time, so I don't think ambient temp was the issue. From all I've read on the web the last couple days, this appears to be an issue that only one Australian state has taken action on. There are probably 60 million stoves in use world wide. They did that in early 2015 and there may have been changes in manufacture since.
Despite all that, I just ordered one that is sold for commercial use and is made in Japan and costs five times as much as one I could pick up at the local Asian grocery.
How much is peace of mind worth?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Butane stove exploded
Daughter and husband are tent camping at Lake Louise. They were doing eggs over easy and about ready to turn them when the Storm Master butane stove exploded.
Parts melted the fly on the tent, the table cloth and became embedded in the cooler. Luckily, neither of them were hit by shrapnel.
On Googling, I came across this story on a ban on sales of these stoves.
Gas stove warnings renewed after family injured in explosion | Sunshine Coast Daily
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #13

From Wiki:

The Coleman Company's headquarters are in Wichita, and it also has facilities in Texas. There are approximately 3,600 employees but most are not manufacturing jobs.[1] The majority of their goods are now manufactured in China.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #14

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I bought my mom Camp Chef model BDZ 138. Does not appear to be on recall list. However, she won't use it now so I guess I just inherited a butane stove.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have read that burning butane puts off less CO than propane (that may or may not be accurate). But propane works better in freezing temps. Seems like a pretty even contest between the two. I've always used propane.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #16

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
as others are, we too use Butane canister stoves yet I've not seen any with the design shown in that article. Our iwatani stoves for ~7 years without issue and the canister is located to the side and below the burner.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote