Buy and old Bigfoot or a newer Apex Nano? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Stephen
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Buy and old Bigfoot or a newer Apex Nano?

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this? I am looking at 2003 Bigfoot 21RB (haven’t actually seen the unit in person yet) and a 2020 Coachmen Apex Nano Off Grid Outffitter edition. Both are the same price.
My dilemma is do I go for the older better built Bigfoot that could have some issues and might need things replaced and needing some possible renovations, or go for the newer middle of the road quality Apex?
Both would work for us. Mainly local camping on Vancouver Island, lots of which would be off season but not in super cold weather. Eventually some trips further afield.
I looked a Bigfoot last year of same vintage and it had leaks and delaminating issues. I am hoping the newer Apex with the Adzel and aluminum construction is a solid choice but am concerned about things like power awning and slide out. More things to go wrong! It is a slightly lighter unit and does have the higher ground clearance which is nice
I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, experiences.
I will be towing with a F-150 EcoBoost
Thanks!
Stephen in Sooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:16 PM   #2

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
What was “delaminating” on the Bigfoot? Bigfoot shells are layed up rather than “sandwiched”. More like an oatmeal cookie than an Oreo. I have a friend with a 2022 NoBo, which after a short season of camping is back at Forest River for replacement of delaminated Adzel. So don’t believe all the Adzel hype, it’s a known problem. If you are handy, I’d go for the Bigfoot and use those great bones to build a perfect camper (over time, all the while using it). If you are not handy, get the newer unit and thoroghly inspect the Adzel before you purchase.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Hi Bruce. Thanks for your response. The Bigfoot 25RQ I looked at last year had a known leak under the rear window and there was some softness under that on the inside liner. When I walked on the roof there was an area that had a lot of give under foot. Apparently it was confirmed by an RV repair guy hired by another potential buyer that there was delamination. He advised those people to walk away from the deal. I found that out later after talking to those people.
I am fairly handy, but I also am not looking for a project! I am really too busy to take that on and other than small projects want to be able to use the unit more than working on it.
Stephen in Sooke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot