Buying a new camp stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Summer is here and its time to start cooking outside again, after looking at my old trusty campstove (30 years of service) I think its time for a replacement. What is the best one to get? the old one was good except if you turned the knob to much the flame kept going out (very hard to control) and if it was on low any wind at all would blow it out. I prefer propane with two burners, any suggestions out there?
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
its time for a replacement. if you turned the knob to much the flame kept going out (very hard to control) and if it was on low any wind at all would blow it out. I prefer propane with two burners, any suggestions out there?
The traditional Coleman is still my favorite. Get one with a built in igniter. New Century makes a knock off, less $$ but the quality is not as good. Also, Coleman customer service has been great.

STAY AWAY from the fold up, roundish Coleman. It is a good idea but, after trying three times (final replacement from the factory) gave up on it. The flame is uneven and very hard to control and there is no wind screen.

When we need a third burner I use a small backpacking stove.

Good Camping, Good Luck,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I like this stove nice and big
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ne3p03ocZZZZZZZZZ95je406b5f090a11ee4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	20410

http://www.campingcomfortably.com/coleman-...pane-stove.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #4

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
HI!
Although I love new gizmos as much as anyone, I still am a fan of my 35 year old coleman stove.
I prefer using the liquid fuel to the canned propane since it is so much cheaper, and no canisters to throw away.
Even pumping it up for every meal has just become part of the routine, and although the electronic ignition would be nice to have, I am just used to the slower way.
I see these stoves for sale at garage sales all the time!
Have fun,
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
Quote:
The traditional Coleman is still my favorite. Get one with a built in igniter. New Century makes a knock off, less $ but the quality is not as good. Also, Coleman customer service has been great.

[b]STAY AWAY from the fold up, roundish Coleman. It is a good idea but, after trying three times (final replacement from the factory) gave up on it. The flame is uneven and very hard to control and there is no wind screen.

Good Camping, Good Luck,

I just purchased it recently (but haven't used it yet).
I sure love it,because of the extra room it actually gives you for large pans/pots.

Is the one you referring to Red in color,??
Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
This is the one I have and I like it, easy to store, use, etc.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I think it's funny that you are thinking of a new stove and I am looking for an old one to rebuild! The new Coleman stoves are great but don't have much personality. We have two of the ones posted above and they work pretty good.

There is a growing crowd of people who collect old stoves and lanterns as a hobby. Most of them swear by the old Coleman stuff. There is a forum over at Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers for the subject;

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=49
Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
This is what I like to use too. I have two good ones, and if needed will bring both. They are way hotter then the Coleman stoves, pack away way smaller, and we need to have one along anyway for when we do an overnight canoe trip. Usually my BBQ and one stove are all I need for cooking outside the trailer. We do use the stove inside quite a bit too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #9

I like the coleman stove its just to bad they all have the hard pipe connection (where the propane hooks up) I always connect mine to a large bottle with a flexable hose, this makes an awkward connection, to stay connected, the brass pipe must stand up, like its connected to a small bottle. A stove with a flexable connector would be best, or be able to attach the hose directly to the stove.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
I have this one from Partner Stoves. It came with an adapter to connect directly to a standard off the shelf 5 gal propane tank. It has worked flawlessly for me for two years now.
Tate R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #11

Now that's a camp stove! I sent them an email to find one in my area, the stainless steel looks easy to clean and the recessed knobs are a great idea.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've had the Coleman Grill/Stove for 5 years or so and love it. 2/3rds a grill and 1/3 a burner to boil water, etc. Same basic chassis as the Coleman shown. (I like to steam corn on the cob on it.) I have a slightly older model than is sold now and was able to get a griddle accessory for bacon, eggs, pancakes, et al.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
I have to chime in...

I bought our campstove at a garage sale about 10 years ago for $10...was using the liquid fuel up until our final camping trip last year when something when wrong at the tank and it started leaking fuel..probably some sort of gasket, but we made it thru breakfast on our last day and threw out the fuel container. My husband does all the cooking at the campgrounds we visit (I just plan, buy, and figure out how to keep everything cool/cold on long weekends!) so he wanted the stove that Steve L suggested ... until he saw the price.

So one day this winter, I was in Wally World's camping department dreaming about the day we'd be back to cooking outdoors again, when I found that they sold these conversion kits for the 'ol coleman' stove so I bought one...$18, plus a couple of small bottles. We tried it out the other day and the flame burns so much better, the 2nd burner gets hotter than before..and it seems to be a cleaner burn (no more black bottom fry pans to scrub). Last summer I was able to buy a nice coleman cast iron griddle from my neighbor at her yard sale for $5.00.

$10 for a stove with no rust (still after 10 years of use!), $18 for the conversion kit, $2.99 for the propane bottle and $5.00 for a griddle. $36.00 for the entire set up..... Breakfast outdoors? Priceless!

I know the season is upon us, but I'd keep an eye out for an old coleman stove if I were you...they're Tried and True!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Depending on where you live, a new Coleman can run almost 100 bux. A used Coleman at a yard sale would likely set you back around 10 for a good condition working model ($5 if function is questionable, and about the limit of what I'd pay regardless). I haven't yet seen one that is such a basket case that it can't be refurbished for less than 15 dollars plus some effort.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us FGRVers are do-it-yourself/fix-it-up types, and a "vintage" stove is right up our alley. The OP is towing a 1978 Boler, wouldn't it be quaint to use a good as new 1978 Coleman stove and lantern?

p.s. One of the ones I currently used was fished out of the landfill
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I sure love it,because of the extra room it actually gives you for large pans/pots.

Yep, red and round. We bought it for the space savings, too. We tried three stoves, two from the sporting goods store and one from the factory. The burners didn't heat evenly on any of them. They are also very wind sensitive. Used the first one camping and had a heck of a time. Checked the other two at home with the same results.

I have seen a couple of reviews from people who liked the stove. Maybe I'm too picky? Fire yours up and give it a try - they may have fixed the problem or we were at the low end of the curve with our three tries...

Good Luck,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We've been using an older version of Kevin K's Coleman - working great, no complaints. Easy set-up, easy stow 'n go. The Partners Stoves ARE gorgeous ... too much $$$ for the Geezers, though.

In my 'other' life we had the old-style Coleman, but I was terrified of the white gas fuel so into the yard sale it went. As Carolyn stated, I think the propane version burns cleaner & has a more consistent flame.

We like the idea of carrying a back-packing burner and would welcome info on brands, suppliers, etc. Thanx! Isn't it GREAT camping weather is here?! Take care, L 'n D
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:

Ulysse,
I'm one of the ones that is using the new red round one coleman fold n go for over a year now and I love it. Very high btu's very easy to store, takes up little space. One drawback is the lack of a windscreen, but I just invent one if I need it and so far it hasn't been an issue. Cooks fast, and no problems here yet in a year.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My camping stove for outside:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_16707_16707

Single burner propane from extra 10 Lb propane tank. The stove was cheap; the tank not so cheap.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
Thermos, Grill 2 Go. It has a large cook surface and a folding base. Plus it didn't cost anything. A neighbour tossed it out and I don't think that it had been used more than once or twice.
I now have two old coleman stoves and a table top BBQ stored in the garage. I should probably yard sale them at the Emily gathering.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Rick kl

Have you considered a Webber Baby Q 100 or higher? Over the last 40 or so years I have used the traditional 2 burner white gas camp stove, propane camp stoves and light hiking stoves. I picked up a Webber Baby Q 100 this year and use this as both an outstanding grill, best I've ever had, and a cook top. Works great with cast iron skillets and griddles.

Other than that suggestion, stick with a 2 burner propane cook top like a Coleman or knock off (avoid the Coleman grill combination, it's really tough to clean and because you cannot cover it flare ups are a frequent occurrence when grilling some meats)

Coleman has a ton of experience in this field however I think their quality has deteriorated over the years and knock offs IMHO are on par given the limited number of weeks a year one may use it.

Last comment, personally I'd be reluctant to go back to uncompressed stove fuel again unless I was backpacking.

Edit: In the video they use a welders style propane canister. I can confirm you can use either a standard 20, 10 or 5 lb propane tank with adapter hose, a standard 16 oz propane canister or the type featured in the video. Compatibility will not be an issue.

http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2008/06/10/pr...able-gas-grill/
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote