Buying a New to me Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Buying a New to me Scamp!

The sun is shinning brightly on me today! i have made a great deal on a great 2003 Scamp 13!

Here is the answer that I received after replying to a RV for sale craigslist ad.

"Hello,

I apologize for the delay in replying, the 13 feet long trailer is still for sale if you want to buy it. My name is Dxxxx Cxxxxx and now I am the legal owner of the 2003 Scamp Trailer. Sleeps 4 with sofa in the front that converts to bunk beds and table in rear that makes into bed large enough for two adults. Brand new tires and newer deep cell battery. This Scamp has furnace, 3-way (12v,120v,& LP)fridge, and Catalina Awning options. All the interior and exterior lights are operational. Cooktop works. Sink with 12 gallon water tank. Lots of storage. All original upholstery and curtains all in excellent condition. Exterior gel coat is shiny with very few blemishes. Manuals. Title weight is 1000#. Camper is well insulated and makes an excellent 4-season camper. We pulled easily with a small car or SUV. The price that I have decided to sell it is $2000. The trailer and everything in it runs as it should and have no problems. If you decide to buy it, I want to let you know that you will have 5 days to inspect it once it is delivered to your address. I have all the documents, service records, owner's manuals, clean title and will come with it.

Unfortunately, my husband abandoned us three months ago.....I got this trailer in the divorce and now I want to sell it ASAP. The travel trailer was never towed since the divorce and it was stored properly. The trailer is located in Provo, Utah, but the shipping is already paid so you don't need to worry, I had an buyer in your state who couldn't take the loan from his bank after we made arrangements to ship it, and the trucking company won't refund me so I can deliver it to your address if you buy it. If you have any questions about the trailer or if you want more photos please feel free to ask.

God bless you,
Dxxxx"

I replied with this email,so i just know that shortly there will be a 2003 Scamp in my driveway in Oklahoma!

Dxxxx, that sounds like the trailer that I have been looking for!

Consider it sold!

I'll wire the money to a friend that lives in Beaver, Utah. He said that he could come to Provo tomorrow afternoon about 2 PM. He will bring cash.

Please email me your address, and a phone number that my friend, Jack Sheldon, can call when he arrives.

Please hold the trailer until Jack can arrive. OK?

Bxx G. Nxxxxx"

Names blocked to protect my axx!

Does anyone believe I'll be getting a reply?
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I do.. some of these scammers are either so desperate or so dumb that they don't know when to give up.

Reminds me of one of those "Microsoft Support" calls that I got. I stayed on the line with the guy for 10 minutes telling him that I was following his instructions to download the fix for the virus that he remotely found on my computer. I was actually playing free online poker the entire time.

When I grew tired of my ruse, I told him that he was the most ignorant **** &&&&& @@@@ that I ever saw. I told him I was just keeping on the line to make his life harder, and had not done one thing he told me to do. I told him I knew he was a scammer and I enjoyed wasting his time. He continued to insist that I had a virus, etc. so I told him in even more colorful and detailed language what an idiot he was. Still he tried to get me to download their ransom-ware.

Then he puts his "supervisor" on the line and I cussed him out the same way, making it clear that I knew how their scam worked. He finally hung up but I think the first guy would have kept going for hours.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Anxious to hear what happens!!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Honestly if it wasn't for the stupid story he would be more believable. His English was very good unlike most scammers I've dealt with.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
At least there is a good story. Waiting with bated breath.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I can understand him maybe leaving her the house and the kids, but never the Scamp or the dog! hehehe Tons of those scams on CL Never wire money or pay before putting your hands on the goods. I have also gotten some great deals there.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #7

Name: Liz
Trailer: In the market for a 13'
Virginia
you had me going!

i was into this story hook, line and sinker until i saw the price! i felt 1 second of intense jealousy (i'm looking for a 13' but not really ready quite yet!), 30 seconds of nausea for you, and then i read the last line and cracked up. thanks for the emotional roller coaster!
lizilife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
OK, here is the latest email I received, and my reply:

"Hi again,

First of all let me say that the price is firm $2000. I also want to inform you that I am entertaining two other offers for it, so please let me know your decision as soon as possible. The Camper is located here in Utah ready for transit and it can be delivered to a designated location of your choice with no cost as I have mentioned in my previous email, I can send it C.O.D (cash on delivery) with a 5 days return policy if it is not as I described. The 5-days inspection period will allow you to check the Camper, test drive, verify the paperwork and make sure that it is exactly as I described before making the final purchase. If the Camper is not as I described, then you return it back on my expense, but I am sure that it will not be the case because there is nothing wrong with it. Along with the Camper you will also receive all the pertinent paperwork already signed by me and your name indicated as the new owner.

If you are you are serious and have sufficient money to buy it, then all I need is your full name and address to make the paperwork, a shipping address and a phone number where the shipping company can contact you for appointment once they reach in your area. I don’t want to offend you, but the Camper is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply to this message!

To support my argument regarding the condition of the Camper, I've attached more photos.

Thank you,
Dxxxxx"

And my reply:

"I wrote you that I'd buy the trailer. I don't know how to get any more serious than that!

Like I wrote before, I can have the $2,000 in your hands tomorrow afternoon.

Just tell me your address in Provo, Utah so my friend can give you the money and pick up the Scamp, and a phone number where I can call you.

Bob"

(Wouldn't it be a Hoot is this wasn't a SCAM?

Bill
Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #9

Name: Megan
Kentucky
Don't Do It!!!!

I agree with many others. I own a 1977 Scamp which I bought a few years ago and it has been refurbished perfectly. I paid $4,000 for it and feel it's worth every cent. This sounds so much like a scam....is there anyone in Provo who could see it for you?

If it sounds like too good of a deal, it is too good of a deal!!!!
Megala M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Hope you buy it, just to get th free shipping!!!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

North Carolina
Go ahead an tell them to ship it.. You will get a call from "the shipping company" that they need more money or a security deposit. In a similar scam involving a non-existent motorcycle that had to be sold because "it brought back memories of my recently deceased husband", I even found a bogus web site set up that was an exact duplicate of a real moving company's site.

There is no better offer than cash in hand in 24 hours (except cash in hand in 12 hours ), so if they don't want someone to bring the cash, then its bogus.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
This has been quite an eye-opener Bill, and thanks for keeping us in the loop. Sounds like a scam all the way. Being new to the fgrv site, I had no idea this was a common occurance. Duh!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bill,
If you're enjoying the exchange, check out 419 Eater a site where the authors bait the scammers. Lots of fun.
Welcome to the 419 Eater

baglo
Old 05-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Bill,
If you're enjoying the exchange, check out 419 Eater a site where the authors bait the scammers. Lots of fun.
Welcome to the 419 Eater

baglo
Glenn, thanks for the link. I'm afraid that I have a very short attention span, and so I am already bored messing with this scammer!

Gordon2, thanks for the information on the shipping. i had been wondering just how the scam would work with free shipping and COD payment. Now I know!

Oh yes, the scammer has now changed the price from $2,000 to $2,004 on the OKC craigslist! Better to identify where in the US inquires are coming from, I'd guess.

Bill
Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon2, thanks for the information on the shipping. i had been wondering just how the scam would work with free shipping and COD payment. Now I know!
Well thats one one it could play out.. there are others.
If they ever say they will meet your agent who has the cash, and produce the trailer with good title, then I might pursue it.. but right now I would give you 100 to one odds on a ten dollar bet that its a scam.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well thats one one it could pay out.. there are others.
If they ever say they will meet your agent who has the cash, and produce the trailer with good title, then I might pursue it.. but right now I would give you 100 to one odds on a ten dollar bet that its a scam.
Oh yes, I agree!

In fact, I'd be Leary taking cash to meet the seller in private.

Maybe in the lobby of the Police Station...maybe!

Bill
Old 05-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Oh yes, I agree!

In fact, I'd be Leary taking cash to meet the seller in private.

Maybe in the lobby of the Police Station...maybe!

Bill
That is exactly where I conduct my craigslist transactions. (OK, the parking lot really.. but same idea).
Old 05-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bill, I do hope you flagged the original ad. Thanks for your humorous way of bringing this dark side of our world to the attention of newcomers anxiously looking for their dream trailer! It could help someone avoid a nightmare.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #19

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Bill, I do hope you flagged the original ad. Thanks for your humorous way of bringing this dark side of our world to the attention of newcomers anxiously looking for their dream trailer! It could help someone avoid a nightmare.
Yes Jon, I did. In fact, as of today, I have flagged that same ad three times!

I do wonder just country the scammers posting this ad are in? Just curiousity on my part. English is better than mine!

No reply from them for two days, so I guess they have decided I'm not a good prospect. Dang...i sure wanted that Scamp!!

Bill
Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #20

Name: Marjy
Oregon
I saw a Scamp for sale with a rebuilt title. I asked for the VIN. The reply was why did I need it. I suspect the VIN is 5555555SCAMp.
Marjy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp