Buying 'sight unseen' near Birmingham - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard 13 ft
Well, I found an awesome deal on a burro near birmingham, al. I am about 24 hours from there, here in SW Colorado. I'm going to go ahead an buy 'sight unseen,' but if any fiberglassers are in the area, I would pay your time and gas to go check it out. It would be comforting for me. I'm trying to arrange the uship as we speak.
Adam S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Adam, I know I wouldn't buy sight unseen, But thats me. How long have you been looking for an egg? Sometimes it takes time to find one that you don't have to drive across country to get but may be worth the wait when you can personally go check it out. What ever you decide, Good Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Adam, I know I wouldn't buy sight unseen, But thats me. How long have you been looking for an egg? Sometimes it takes time to find one that you don't have to drive across country to get but may be worth the wait when you can personally go check it out. What ever you decide, Good Luck! Robin
Robin --

It seems you are wise. After a discussion with my wife, we're backing out and continuing to wait...I'm really impatient sometimes.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Get pictures of all 4 sides, outside and inside, and photos of the bottom of the trailer, then make your decision based on the photos. Also make sure they have a clear title. Ask if everything works.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Robin --

It seems you are wise. After a discussion with my wife, we're backing out and continuing to wait...I'm really impatient sometimes.
I don't know about wise Adam, very much in control. I like to know what I am spending my money on. No problem forking over the money once I know, believe me, I can spend it. I just hate buying then it's a piece of doooooo dooooo. LOL

Hang in there Adam, there will be trailers that will be closer for you guys to go see. Honestly you want to see it, unless it's a screaming deal and you don't care.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I guess it's a feel thing. I bought mine pretty much sight unseen but had a lot of photos and several emails and phone conversations over the winter. This made me feel pretty confident about the seller, so I drove to Connecticut and bought it. Very nice people and everything as advertised.

Of course most people don't have that much time to make a decision, I realize.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our UHaul was bought using a few images on ebay. The same with the Burro. Both were good buys and honest deals.

CindyL
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Hey Adam,

If I'm not mistaken, that is the Burro that sold about a year ago in Alabama for right about the same price. I remember the floor and the burgundy trim.... So the one who has it now, may not have kept it long. Looks to be in fair condition, but does seem to have a dorm fridge and not a 3-way. It is a good price, and you could buy sight unseen, but I'd recommend that you make it "pending passing inspection" when you get there. That leaves you a way to back out if necessary after seeing it and allows you to take it to a local RV shop for an inspection as well before you buy. If you want a Burro 13 they are fairly common on resale, so if you wait a bit you may see one closer.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #9

Thanks y'all, this has been a good thread. We're not 'going for it,' and the wait continues. I like that mislabeled campster/compact jr on ebay, but I think we'll need a third bed.