Calgon etc. in the black water tank??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Some time ago some one posted a link to a formula ( Calgon + + )for a solution to add to the black water tank to keep it cleaner and easier to empty. I can't remember who...or what it was Forgeting is easy... remembering is the hard part!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
humm, only found one post for Calgon in water tank:
Keith Williams Post

What I've read, is it's not advisable to add any chemical potions to the tanks not specially made for the tanks. In particular anything that's "pine" scented. Something about drying out the gaskets. If it's for the black water tank, I'd use a powder made to break down TP, I remember reading the information on the box... for whatever it was I bought, that mentioned it also lubricated the valve. Whether it does or not but I haven't had any problems with leaks either.. and that's a good thing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #3

Registry
Hi: Donna...Thanks for the quick reply. That wasn't it but close. The Calgon is supposed to make the inside of the tank slippery so "STUFF" won't stick to it!!! That may also line the valves to keep them lubed. With a Portapotti it never seemed to matter.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I found this when I googled Phred's Poop Sheets:
Quote:
HOW TO CLEAN SEWAGE TANKS -- Lengthy process but really easy.

First, dump and flush as normal -- no detergents and PLENTY of water. Once that's done, close dump valve and remove slinky. Then open dump valve and more residue will come out. (Do this at home or somewhere there's no audience.) Use your garden hose to spray the "stuff" at valve and open end of tank. Finally, spray all the poop on the ground and the
"brown tea" will dissipate and biodegrade. It's no big deal.

Now comes the easy part. [b]Pour about a quarter cup of ordinary dishwashing detergent in the tank (NON anti-bacterial version), "Dawn" or "Joy" are best. Then pour in about two gal of water. Drive RV to nearest market. Get about two or three bags of ice cubes and pour them in tank. Then drive to RV park or similar -- make a holiday of it -- (about a two
to four-hour drive is adequate). The tank will be about as clean as it ever gets as the ice cubes slosh around and scrub it. Get a site with full hookup. Dump and flush repeatedly. Add about three gallons of water when done. Take a crap (Bio needs something to work on). Add bio per container instructions, then drive home, or wherever your next stop is,
to mix things thoroughly.

Routine future dumping should include simple flushing with water and no detergents (unless doing the whole process all over again). You want to keep a residue of the good bio going. (Kind of like a sourdough starter.) Do all this properly, adjusting amount of bio through experience, and you should be trouble free. In my case, as an example: With a 40 gal tank, using "Eco-Save," I put in only one (liquid) capful or one tablespoon of dry version every-other dump (or more) and am odor free and don't have any "floaters" in the tank.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #5

Registry
Hi: Frederick... Thanks... the one I read some time ago had Calgon + Dawn/Joy + ( another) I think. "Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the MOST"!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Hi: Frederick... Thanks... the one I read some time ago had Calgon + Dawn/Joy + ( another) I think. "Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the MOST"!!!
Alf.....
Is this what your Lookin for..... It's called "The Geo Method" I need to try this myself soon. The following link has a video and written text.
If anyone has ever used this method would you please let us know how you like it!
Joe

Geo Method to sanitize tanks:

http://cbruni.googlepages.com/
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Alf.....
Is this what your Lookin for..... It's called "The Geo Method" I need to try this myself soon. The following link has a video and written text.
If anyone has ever used this method would you please let us know how you like it!
Joe

Geo Method to sanitize tanks:

http://cbruni.googlepages.com/
Hi: Joe...Thats the one!!! Thanks a heaping scoop full!!! Never needed it for a porta potti but the new Brand X trailer has all the "Bells and Whistles". Goin' to get it on Wed P.M.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am going to try that idea.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'm goin to get some "Calgon" myself today
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I tried "the concoction" several years ago and wasn't impressed with it. I switched over to RV-Tech 100 available at Walmart and have been extremely pleased with it. Besides working, being free of the bad stuff, okay for septics, it's actually very reasonable.

Bleach and rubber seals: not a good idea.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have to wonder when this article was written, I can't find a date anywhere. At anyrate, if some of the information is incorrect, you have to wonder about the validity of any of it.... that's the analyst in me coming out

Quote:
Never put regular toilet tissue in your RV's black tank. Only use toilet tissue which is approved for RV and/or septic tank use. Regular toilet tissue may eventually dissolve, but not before causing a clog in your black tank.
We know this is incorrect. An independent study done by a member of FiberglassRV, found (pre-hack) that one-ply Scott tissue actually broke down better and faster than several different brands of RV toilet tissue. The fact that Scott brand is much cheaper caught my eye!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have never used RV toilet paper in all my years of camping and never had a problem.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 AM   #13

Registry
Hi: We plan on using the "White Swan" single ply that we have always used in our rural septic system. I will add the Calgon 2 cups mixed with a gal. of warm water and poured into the "Commode" with one cup of laundry detergent. The Calgon certainly smells nicer than "You Know"!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
the best thing to use is any kind of enzyme product to speed the breakdown of solids into liquids. The odor will change also.

Then there are far less in-tank problems and one isn't loading some sewage system downstream with a lot of other stuf to process.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote