Camp Chef stove and oven inside Scamp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #41

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
When I took my motorcycle safety class, just about the first thing the instructor told us was something along the lines of, "You are about to start doing something dangerous - riding a motorcycle. You can get killed. In this class you will learn the risk. You will learn how to mitigate some of that risk. Then, you have to decide for yourself if you are willing to accept the risk that remains. Riding isn't for everyone."
Experience has most always been my teacher............

When I instruct another on m/c riding........I have one rule.
Watch EVERYONE else.

Same with my instructions on driving on snow and ice.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #42

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Don't forget:
The natives, especially if carrying banjos...

Francesca
HEY!!!! I resemble that.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
HEY!!!! I resemble that.

Step away from the banjo, Carl, and nobody gets hurt!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #44

NE Oklahoma
Quote:

Francesca
It's okay...............my wife hates it too.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Now that you all had your bit of fun with this, could we return back to the topic at hand now. A discussion on the safety of the OP's question is valid, just not all the other drivel added in the last posts.

It is fine that each one of us draws their own line on how you take the warnings posted on products. Often companies do this just to cover their butt should something go wrong, but there is also a level of common sense to follow too. Just please don't go belittling someone because they prefer to tow the line according to the manufacturer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
........ Often companies do this just to cover their butt should something go wrong, but there is also a level of common sense to follow too........
Attached Thumbnails
sign.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #47

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think a lot of what we deal with is because of frivolous litigations.
The world, well, the US is so sue happy. I've been sued by my s-i-l.
No one will let her ride in their cars. Friends and especially not family.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #48

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is fine that each one of us draws their own line on how you take the warnings posted on products. Often companies do this just to cover their butt should something go wrong, but there is also a level of common sense to follow too. Just please don't go belittling someone because they prefer to [toe] the line according to the manufacturer.
... or criticize them because they seek to understand and discuss the equipment which they are operating, or attack them because they may have drawn a different line.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #49

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... or criticize them because they seek to understand and discuss the equipment which they are operating, or attack them because they may have drawn a different line.
I agree!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #50

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There must be some way to respectfully disagree. It seems that if someone has a differing point of view, then cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
One would like to think there is another way.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My point was made to keep this topic going in the direction it was intended, and not to make it a discussion of the other things in life we should fear more. Instead the thread is turning into a bunch of posts that make no sense to the OP's query.

Plus, it saves us mods lots of time, not having to go through posts to delete posts that are irrelevant to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
There must be some way to respectfully disagree. It seems that if someone has a differing point of view, then cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
One would like to think there is another way.
There is nothing at all wrong with disagreeing with someone, I think the problem comes when one becomes too passionate about their point of view, and in doing so ends up disrespecting others with the way the express their own point of view. And you are correct in your assessment, there are no innocents here. Both sides of any disagreement need to moderate their own tone in their posts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #52

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
My m-i-l gave us an electric toaster/over with 2 burners on top.

Toaster Oven With Double Burners | Toasters + Ovens | Brylanehome

Not in the same class, but similar idea.
Love the size of this Gotta find me one. This and an itsy microwave would give me lots of room for a bigger fridge.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #53

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Darn iPad! ::grumble:: lost my post

I have that same stove in red, and got it from Costco too. Only draw back is the lack of thermostat control for the oven. It looses temp quick if you open the door and takes a while to recover. Also the temp bobs up and down if there is a breeze. We cooked several casseroles for turkey day last year in it and did a great job. We got it as a back up during hurricane season and for camping.

Did yours come with the griddle? We didn't unpack it but it appears to be very big. Could probably use it for a scout troop camp out.

I have two ideas for ours; first research the possibility of a thermostat control for the oven, second is hooking up a 10 or 20 lb propane tank instead of the 1lb throw always.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #54

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Jason, Mine came a kit that has a hose for the 20 lb tank. You can be them off Amazon.
There is a adapter to re-fill the 1 lb tanks from a 20 lb tank. I didnt know about that and tossed my 1 lb tanks away but now I save them to re-fill em. That too you can buy from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Propane-Tank-R...I1E00KLWW0AUOM

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-HRL-...camp+chef+hose
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #55

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Cool! Thanks ShawnKK. I need to look into that. We got a deal on 6pack of 1lb bottles but have a 20lb tank for the BBQ.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #56

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
About once a year, there is another discussion in this forum of refilling those one-pound "disposable" cylinders with an adapter and a 20-pound tank.
It doesn't matter how many times this is discussed, it still involves handling propane in a way which violates many clear safety warnings and prohibitions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #57

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We made an oven at work out of the old style insulated metal milk storage box ( Back when we had milkmen.) We installed a porcelain socket inside the box and used a thermostatically controlled 100 watt light bulb for a heat source . We also installed legs on the bottom for air space . For about $20.00 we had a pretty good little oven and it lasted about 20 years . One of the advantages of the oven was their were no warning labels so we didn't know enough to worry
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #58

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
.......... One of the advantages of the oven was their were no warning labels so we didn't know enough to worry
Old 06-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #59

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:

Francesca
I bought a black nylon case designed for an "assault rifle" to carry my mountain dulcimer. People seeing it for the first time are afraid I'm carrying a gun...

People seeing it the second time are afraid it's my Dulcimer!

SilverGhost,

I neglected to order the griddle in my initial order for the Camp Chef Oven™, so I bought a Lodge™ cast iron griddle the same general size at Bass Masters™ and have been pleased with it so far.

BTW, I feel like my Burro is too small to do much cooking in anyway (I have an original type 2-burner stove in place but it's not even connected) so I picked up a folding camp table with half being plastic table and the other half a steel gridwork that holds the oven unit. It's already up in Winchester and I'm in Lynchburg, but maybe I can post pictures next weekend when I'm there.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #60

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Thanks for info about the stove in question

Hey Shirley and Green Frog- thanks for the info about the unit. I've been eyeballing them too. I was wondering if they worked good enough to their size as storage space is a premium in my rig. Not thinking about indoor use as that space is so limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
Last year Costco offered the Camp Chef for $160 plus $40 rebate and being a life long fan of the Easy-Bake Oven I had to have one. I've used the oven about 10 times. I can't get the oven to maigntain a constant high temperature. If you wait long enough the oven will heat up to 400 degrees. However, when you open the door and shove in a dish the oven will drop to 325 degrees. If you hold your mouth just right it may crawl up to 350. I generally camp between 8,000' and 11,000' and perhaps the altitude is why the low temp. I bought Fat Daddios bakeware from Amazon to use in it which are small and work quite well.

As long as you're not intending on baking a chicken and stay with smaller things you'll be happy with the oven. Don't shove in a 9 x 13 lasagna and think it will ever bake thoroughly. As for the big question, "Would I use this inside my Burro?" my answer is no. I enjoy cooking outside and I was raised to be compliant.
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp