Camped next to generator this weekend. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #21

Name: Marty
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Nightmare

Recently went to an RV show during an inclement weather vacation day. Saw nothing we would be interested in but noticed an alarming trend in outside amenities...spelled entertainment centers. Giant screen TVs, stereos, wet bars, kitchens and so on. Wow.
MandDDiversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #22

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thankfully we won't often see those in campgrounds of NFS, BLM, National or State Parks.

Walt
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Not a big fan of generators when camping but not totally opposed either. inconsiderate abusive use is another issue. But everyone that has a generator especially a built in need to run the generators to keep them alive. Old stale gas being unused is a real problem and very costly to repair. So if your generator is going unused for long periods you run into real problems if you don't use them. These newer gas formulations are really hard on fuel systems not being used regularly.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Not a big fan of generators when camping but not totally opposed either. inconsiderate abusive use is another issue. But everyone that has a generator especially a built in need to run the generators to keep them alive. Old stale gas being unused is a real problem and very costly to repair. So if your generator is going unused for long periods you run into real problems if you don't use them. These newer gas formulations are really hard on fuel systems not being used regularly.
Just drain the gas from the tank. There is absolutely no need to keep the generator filled up.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #25

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandDDiversified View Post
Recently went to an RV show during an inclement weather vacation day. Saw nothing we would be interested in but noticed an alarming trend in outside amenities...spelled entertainment centers. Giant screen TVs, stereos, wet bars, kitchens and so on. Wow.
Sounds like manufacturers are catering to the football tailgate crowd. We ran into that once. When the local college had an away game too far away for them to travel to, they drove their tailgate special to the local state park to be one with nature - and with their satellite receiver, giant screen TV and cooler full of beer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:26 AM   #26

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Having owned a Honda generator and doing lots of research prior to purchase, I found they have the lowest DB of any. Just traded in the big 3000W for the 2000W since I can lift the smaller one! Honda's are the best.
:the new smaller Yamaha's are pretty quite to.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:31 AM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
That is why I use non-ethanol gas in all my small engines (lawnmower, chainsaw, etc.). I have rarely used, actually rarely even taken my EU2000i on a camping trip. And although it will run on gasoline, I converted it to run on propane so that I wouldn't have to carry a gas can. The added advantage is that propane does not have the effects on engines that ethanol laced gasoline has.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That is why I use non-ethanol gas in all my small engines (lawnmower, chainsaw, etc.). I have rarely used, actually rarely even taken my EU2000i on a camping trip. And although it will run on gasoline, I converted it to run on propane so that I wouldn't have to carry a gas can. The added advantage is that propane does not have the effects on engines that ethanol laced gasoline has.
That's interesting Carl, what does it take to convert to LP?. I've got 2 Hondas, the 3500 I use when our house power goes out.....high desert winds take out a few poles kind of regular. Haven't had a problem as I add Sta-Bil but the LP may be the way to go with that one. The 2000 gets used here also and when camping but at least for me, carrying a gal gas can is fine, my truck bed is open .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #29

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have a Honda EU2000i that we always take with us just in case..In three years we have used it twice. One of the most annoying things we endured was in a very nice state park in Georgia. The maintenance crew decided to blow leaves while we were cooking outside. They blew more dust than leaves...

I think the take away here is to be considerate of your neighbor. That applys to generators, dogs, TV's, leaf blowers or anything else.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #30

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
We too own a Honda Eu2000i generator that rides in the back of my Tacoma (in the camper shell) always. I 'exercise' it at home at least once a month & make sure the gasoline is relatively fresh. I always keep the tank filled (the Honda will run for 14-15 hours under a 3/4 load with a full tank of gas, on eco mode). I always try to find non-ethanol gas for the generator and my other small engines. They do better with the non-ethanol fuel and mixed with a tiny amount of Stabil, stay fresh much longer in storage than ethanol mixed fuel. Once, in southern Colorado we camped at Blue Lake NF C/G at 10K' elevation. It is a large, well used NF C/G with well kept, relatively level, gravel sites. We'd ran down the batteries in both cameras that day & I hadn't (still haven't) installed 12vdc USB outlets for the chargers. I 'hauled' out the Honda, fired it up & plugged in the Teardrop trailer we were towing on that trip. We plugged in the chargers, switched the Honda to eco mode & relaxed for a while. A sudden rainshower came up so I 'threw' a poly tarp over the Honda without shutting it off. The shower didn't last long but I didn't uncover the Honda. Meanwhile, a gentleman near my age was walking through the C/G, saw the teardrop & stopped to talk about it. He too, remembered seeing them as a boy, & had even camped in one a time or two. My wife came around the trailer & said, "batteries are charged," so I told the gentleman I had to turn off the generator, which I did. We'd been standing almost against the tarp which was covering the Honda & he'd never even realized that a generator was running. The tiny 'draw' of the 115vac battery chargers & the converter for a couple of LED lights hadn't even increased the rpm of the Honda enough to generate extra noise, & under the tarp it wasn't noticeable. I'd asked the campground host if it was OK before I started the Honda. & she said, "OK 'til 10pm." As in most other human interaction, consideration for others is of prime importance!

Our TD rig at Blue Lake NF C/G, 10K' elev

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #31

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
30ft away is a good ways away. Most regular campsites I'm at are usually about 15ft between neighbors.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #32

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
A solar panel works for us as long as there is partial sun shining through the trees. No noise or gas to mess with. And we spent quite a few nights in National Parks with no power or water.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #33

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Had some jerk at the Townsend KOA fire up his diesel pusher about 7 and let it idle until he left about 45 minutes later. Annoying but we were already up for a change.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator