Camper insurance - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Posts: 153
Registry
Camper insurance

Just bought a 2018 Casita 16'. Very excited. Live in MA and will drive down to NJ to pick it up next Monday. NJ doesn't use titles, just registration, on a trailer less than 2500#. So the seller has a registration. He offered to go with me to the NJ RMV on Mon and transfer the registration. In order to do that, I'll have to pay taxes on the trailer and provide proof of NJ insurance. Which is quite alot to pay considering I'm just going to bring it to MA and re-register it here. (Though maybe not right away since the NJ registration will be good until Mar 2019). Any thoughts on how to do this most economically? And, big question, what is the best insurance for my camper and tow vehicle since I'll be traveling all over? My local insurance agent doesn't have anything to offer.

Thanks for your help!

Lisle
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,350
I've been with National General Ins for about three years. They are easy to work with and have very good rates. I've never had a claim, so don't know about how they are with that. They would only write me if I had homeowners Insurance already, so that could be a deal breaker, if you don't own a home.

No idea on how to minimize the tax and registration thing in your area.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Alex Adams's Avatar
 
Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Posts: 842
I got insurance for my 1979 boler with Progressive. They will do an agreed value policy where they insure you for the value you say the trailer is worth. They also have a roadside assistance add on.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Posts: 167
Generally, your auto liability policy also covers your trailer. It does not cover any damage that might happen to your trailer, though. There's probably no escaping the sales tax.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Posts: 2,178
Yeah, we went with a Progressive 'declared value', too... we looked at putting it under our USAA auto policy but their trailer insurance was much worse, their policy was much harder to read and understand. Progressive's riders are a model of clarity.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
.. And, big question, what is the best insurance for my camper and tow vehicle since I'll be traveling all over? My local insurance agent doesn't have anything to offer.
My Erie Agent didn't have a general coverage policy for the camper either, but he uses Progressive in his personal life for a boat, and acted as broker to add a Progressive R/V policy to my Erie home, auto and umbrella liability policy. In this way the one million dollar liability policy extends to my camper, so say someone dies in a fire in my camper for example, I am covered to a million dollars.

So my suggestion is to shop for a new agent. There really is no substitute for a detailed discussion with a knowledgeable agent about your situation, needs, risk aversion, etc. Search this forum and you will find hundreds of posts about this question. People are in very different geographic areas, have different demographics, desire different coverage's, pay very differing amounts, get different levels of coverage, service, benefits, etc. If you read all the posts all you are doing is comparing apples and oranges.

And since you implied extensive travel, know that there may be a difference depending on how much you use the camper. IIRC, with a Progressive policy under 30 days a year was one price, and over 30 days another (but they dont install a tracker in your rig). Full timing in a camper might mean a different policy also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,384
A million dollars liability isn't that much these days. I have three million on the trailer and five million on my vehicle. It doesn't cost a lot more to increase it significantly.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
My Erie Agent didn't have a general coverage policy for the camper either, but he uses Progressive in his personal life for a boat, and acted as broker to add a Progressive R/V policy to my Erie home, auto and umbrella liability policy. In this way the one million dollar liability policy extends to my camper, so say someone dies in a fire in my camper for example, I am covered to a million dollars.

So my suggestion is to shop for a new agent. There really is no substitute for a detailed discussion with a knowledgeable agent about your situation, needs, risk aversion, etc. Search this forum and you will find hundreds of posts about this question. People are in very different geographic areas, have different demographics, desire different coverage's, pay very differing amounts, get different levels of coverage, service, benefits, etc. If you read all the posts all you are doing is comparing apples and oranges.

And since you implied extensive travel, know that there may be a difference depending on how much you use the camper. IIRC, with a Progressive policy under 30 days a year was one price, and over 30 days another (but they dont install a tracker in your rig). Full timing in a camper might mean a different policy also.
Thanks gordon, that is very helpful information.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 5,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Just bought a 2018 Casita 16'. Very excited. Live in MA and will drive down to NJ to pick it up next Monday. NJ doesn't use titles, just registration, on a trailer less than 2500#. So the seller has a registration. He offered to go with me to the NJ RMV on Mon and transfer the registration. In order to do that, I'll have to pay taxes on the trailer and provide proof of NJ insurance. Which is quite alot to pay considering I'm just going to bring it to MA and re-register it here. (Though maybe not right away since the NJ registration will be good until Mar 2019).

Lisle
March 2019 has gone by, so I assume you mean 2020. The current registration would be in the sellers name. Do you think he will allow you to keep his license plate and registration paperwork that is in his name after you buy the trailer ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ZachO's Avatar
 
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Posts: 2,550
Registry
I have Progressive insurance for my trailer, with no homeowner's or renters insurance. I haven't looked at what it actually covers in a long time...I should study up again! It was more of a box I checked..."now I have insurance, one less thing to worry about" and moved on.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
JBB
Senior Member
 
JBB's Avatar
 
Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Yeah, we went with a Progressive 'declared value', too... we looked at putting it under our USAA auto policy but their trailer insurance was much worse, their policy was much harder to read and understand. Progressive's riders are a model of clarity.

We have our trailer insured with USAA and it was pretty cut and dry. They had covered our previous camper so it was no problem to remove the one we sold and replace it with the Snoozy when we picked it up in 2017 from the factory.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,712
Registry
Camper insurance

You do not need to transfer registration in New Jersey or pay New Jersey taxes. Thatís only for an in-state sale to a New Jersey resident. Nor do you need to buy New Jersey insurance. Liability is covered by your tow vehicle insurance.

Check with a motor vehicle office or online in your state of residency regarding what documentation you need to bring back with you. They will be aware (or can verify if you point it out) that New Jersey is a non-title state for this class of trailer. They will probably require a bill of sale, possibly notarized. Drive it home with the sale documentation your state requires, and leave the old plate with the seller.

You might be able to arrange a temporary transport tag for the trip home, though most accounts Iíve read say itís not necessary as long as you have the sale documents and the tow vehicle is properly registered and insured.

As said, you are covered for liability by your auto insurance. If you want full coverage for the trip home, talk to your agent. Youíll probably need the VIN and possibly pictures of the trailer to purchase the policy in advance of picking it up.

Once you get home, register it with your state and pay whatever taxes and fees your state requires.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Posts: 367
I personally want what I buy in my name and not the previous owners, so I would transfer the paperwork ASAP, that's just the way I do things. As far as paying taxes it's just part of ownership, so pay it and be done with it. Putting the previous owner in a legal battle over something that you did (say an accident, etc.) because of not changing the paperwork is pretty inconsiderate on your part.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,712
Registry
Camper insurance

Absolutely, transfer ownership as soon as practical. But an out-of-state sale involves two separate actions in two different states.

As a seller you should immediately notify your state motor vehicle department of a sale. How you do that varies by state, but many allow you to do it online immediately. That cancels your registration and protects you from liability for events involving the buyer. The seller should always keep the license plate and registration documents. Only the title and/or bill of sale goes with the buyer. In most states you will be required to surrender the plate when the registration is canceled.

The buyer must register it in his/her state of residency, not in the state where purchased, within so many days. In most states that cannot be done until the trailer is physically present in the state. That means towing it home without a tag, or with some kind of temporary transport tag.

Weíve had this conversation before, and several who have bought frequently out of state (I havenít) said the transport tags are not necessary with a towed vehicle, likely because it does not require its own liability insurance.

Bottom line, liability is covered by the buyerís tow vehicle, and the seller is protected by reporting the sale promptly.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Alex Adams's Avatar
 
Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Posts: 842
If you are towing the trailer a good distance home or if you feel unlucky, I would insure the trailer before taking it home in case something happens. It would be really bad to lay down $10,000 on a trailer and lose it because it got totaled on the way home.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Posts: 153
Registry
Thanks everyone. And Jon, you're right. I just need a bill of sale and copy of the NJ registration to bring the trailer home to Mass. Then will register in Mass and get full insurance coverage for car and trailer here where I am domiciled. Whew! Lots of learning curves in this new world of RV'ing! Appreciate all your help. FYI, in Mass, you have to have a Mass insurance agent write your camper/car insurance policy. Can't do it online with Progressive or any of the national companies by state law. The insurance agent I've worked with here for 18 years doesn't write for campers. However, I found an agency and they will take care of it for me.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #17
Member
 
Posts: 50
I'm in Canada pay 215 a year insured trillium for 12000 2500 contents and 2000 motel stay if trailer is damaged. Roadside towing.
agreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,794
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You do not need to transfer registration in New Jersey or pay New Jersey taxes. Thatís only for an in-state sale to a New Jersey resident. Nor do you need to buy New Jersey insurance. Liability is covered by your tow vehicle insurance.

Check with a motor vehicle office or online in your state of residency regarding what documentation you need to bring back with you. They will be aware (or can verify if you point it out) that New Jersey is a non-title state for this class of trailer. They will probably require a bill of sale, possibly notarized. Drive it home with the sale documentation your state requires, and leave the old plate with the seller.

You might be able to arrange a temporary transport tag for the trip home, though most accounts Iíve read say itís not necessary as long as you have the sale documents and the tow vehicle is properly registered and insured.

As said, you are covered for liability by your auto insurance. If you want full coverage for the trip home, talk to your agent. Youíll probably need the VIN and possibly pictures of the trailer to purchase the policy in advance of picking it up.

Once you get home, register it with your state and pay whatever taxes and fees your state requires.

Its late, I'm tired and I wanted to say just what you did! THANX
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,712
Registry
Camper insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
FYI, in Mass, you have to have a Mass insurance agent write your camper/car insurance policy... I found an agency and they will take care of it for me.
Agree with Alex. Since this is a late model trailer of significant value, and youíre planning to buy a full coverage policy anyway, Iíd see about purchasing the policy before you leave for NJ. Then youíll be covered for any mishaps on the way home. It may or may not be possible- some companies insist on seeing the vehicle before they issue a policy. Mine did not.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Alex Adams's Avatar
 
Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It may or may not be possible- some companies insist on seeing the vehicle before they issue a policy. Mine did not.
I would also keep all financial documents related to the trailer (Bill of Sale, receipts for equipment upgrades, etc.) so you can show "actual" value if the insurance company doesn't appraise the trailer.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New exclusion on camper insurance War Eagle General Chat 11 02-06-2018 07:33 AM
Insurance for Camper MrsCleva Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 09-21-2016 06:15 PM
vintage camper insurance Sally G General Chat 3 04-08-2006 02:35 PM
RV Insurance Morgan Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 8 11-29-2005 01:32 PM
Insurance Primer for Newbies Needed Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 23 06-24-2003 01:54 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.