Campers under the 2000 lb. tow limit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #21

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
I would do that in a heartbeat Deryk but I just bought the Patriot new a couple of months ago and I'm trying to avoid the financial beating that I would take trading it in so soon. I've traded in three new cars over the past few years and I promised myself I wasn't going to do it again.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #22

Florida
Lots of good information to consider Bob.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Small trailer confinement.

Many of us that travel in small trailers don't worry too much about them being too small. Most of time is spent outdoors which is really really large. If you've ever tent camped, or backpacked you'll know that most of the time spent inside a tent is sleeping time.
Toilets and showers are usually pretty small and many people that have them don't use them because of that.
The advantage of our trailer over our backpacking tent (which we used for over 30 years) is when you get caught in the cold or rain there's someplace to sit that's warm and dry. An occasional trip to facilities in the cold and wet isn't so bad and it gets out for a couple minutes.
Some people want a rolling motel room with all the amenities. We prefer to look at it as a rolling hard sided tent that has a few amenities, (a stove, a fridge, and a furnace).
Converting the dinette to bed to dinette is not much of a problem if you use sleeping bags. Making the bed with sheets and blankets would be a pain. We use stuff sacks for the sleeping bags so it's even easier. At night I set the thermostat to 55° and sleep pretty comfortable in cold weather with light weight sleeping bag. For hot weather at night we use sleeping bag liners by themselves.

At this time the 13' Scamp without A/C or toilet is perfect for us. Total weight loaded for a long trip about 1700 lbs.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
....... My concern is that the Scamp might close in on me during an extended trip. Does anyone have any input regarding this concern?

Thanks again
You could forgo the toilet and shower. Some people use a porta-potty and temporary shower shelter when park facilities are absent. That opens up the whole front of a 13 footer. It is also common to use a 10x10 screen shelter to add extra living space. These set up fast and fold compactly.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Compact Jr
I heartily second the advice to find a nearby fiberglass trailer rally and wander around looking at trailers before you make any buying decisions.

My sister's Compact Jr has a simply monstrous bed, and the pop-up roof makes for lots of headroom. And it weighs 1680 lb loaded up with everything my sister can think of to bring. That said, it's a pretty basic trailer with no insulation, a stove, an icebox, some cabinets, and that's about all. Oh, and it's out of production, so you'd have to buy a used one.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Not wanting to quible as you have a very nice trailer, but surely the jack knife sofa in a Snoozy will comfortably sleep only a very short adult. I seem to recall a photo of a more regularly sized adult with their head overhanging the front bed area significantly. Do you happen to know the actual length offhand?
I went out and measured it for you.
A whopping 64 inches = 5 ft. 4 in.

That's why we went to the factory once we decided to be sure
that our daughter would fit on the couch and she is very short.

It's always in the way mfg.'s write up their ads.
That's why it's important to see any brand in person.

This is me at six feet......

http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...toid=177873167

This is our daughter just under five feet.........

http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...toid=175046758
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are a number of clever solutions to a bed and dinette in a Scamp 13. The conversion of the front couch to a dinette has been done by numerous Scamp 13 owners.

The conversion allows a permanent rear bed if you chose with ample storage below.

If you should purchase a Scamp 13 and find it doesn't meet your expectations, you can do as many have and sell it, probably losing very little, and then get something else.

The price of a used Scamp 13 may the order of a one week cruise to Alaska for two and you can likely sell it for nearly what you paid.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I went out and measured it for you.
A whopping 64 inches = 5 ft. 4 in.
That was very nice of you - thanks very much.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
You're very welcome.....

Information is power...............lol
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #30

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Add a tranny cooler, the largest one that will fit. It will help big time. Always add a tranny cooler if you towing...its a cheap investment. Towing capacity includes all people in car/truck and all gear/parts and trailer. The only thing you don't count is driver and 1 passenger weight and gas. AND get the lightest trailer. The 13' Scamp is 1200 to 1500 lbs. empty depending on options.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #31

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Scam ok 13 with sofa and porta potty. As far as height it won't matter when your sitting and you won't be walking much inside. You can also consider a screen room to set up outside. Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #32

Florida
Thanks for the input Bob. It's very helpful.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool The lightest of the light.

There is a fellow with an even more restrictive weight problem than yours:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post407126

My post is #5, and there is a link to a list of real world weights in post #2.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #34

Florida
Thanks for the tip Roger. I copied off the Real World Weight chart and I'll use it in my search.

Great info
Old 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #35

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have a 2002 scamp and I am 6'2", too. I can not stand up straight in the scamp but have to bend my head a little to the side. The bed fits just fine if I do not stretch. It can fell a bit confined at times, these are really small trailers and most of the pictures are done with wide angle lenses that make things look much more roomy. However I spent most of the times outside anyways, and maybe you can get a cabana like this one for some extra space:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-59363.html.

Another thing to consider is the amount of driving you will do, the 13' scamp is a wonderful tow since it is so light I can easily go with the normal traffic.

But I agree with the others you will have to meet the trailer in "person" to know how it feels.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #36

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
I have a 2002 scamp and I am 6'2", too. I can not stand up straight in the scamp but have to bend my head a little to the side. The bed fits just fine if I do not stretch. It can fell a bit confined at times, these are really small trailers and most of the pictures are done with wide angle lenses that make things look much more roomy. However I spent most of the times outside anyways, and maybe you can get a cabana like this one for some extra space:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-59363.html.

Another thing to consider is the amount of driving you will do, the 13' scamp is a wonderful tow since it is so light I can easily go with the normal traffic.

But I agree with the others you will have to meet the trailer in "person" to know how it feels.
Good info Chse. As I understand it, I believe the 13' Scamp increased its headroom to 6'3" after 2005 so I'd probably be ok there except for under the AC unit. I called up Scamp and they said they would connect me with an owner down here in Florida so I can get up-close and personal so I'm going to do that. I'm wanting the toilet/shower model so that will visually close it in even more. The Cabana Awning is a fantastic idea that I'm going to look into. One drawback would be packing it away wet and then having to dry it out but I guess I could work around that. I wonder if there is a particular awning that is best suited for the 13' Scamp.

Thanks again
Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lynn,

I'm 6'1" and find our 1991 Scamp 16 to be adequate in height. Prior to the Scamp we used a 1995 Casita 16. Casita 16s are only 5'10". We spent 12 month in it and really 99% of the time it was of no concern. The reality is that you don't stand up that much.

It is amazing what you can learn to live with.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #38

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Lynn, I don't know how soon you are thinking about getting a trailer, but you should go to the Scamp Camp in Sebring Fla. this Feb. and you will have plenty to look at. I do know some friends of ours that have a 13'er will be selling theirs around that time, and they live in Fla. also. Its a 13 deluxe but doesn't have the bath, but does have AC .
Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #39

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I honestly wouldn't buy a trailer that I couldn't stand in. I'm 5'11 so that cut out a few. My first sailboat was a 26' with around 5'6" headroom. As soon as I could afford it I bought one that had a bit over 6'...I want to be comfortable because you never know how muchtime you could bestuck inside. My ParkLiner has 6'5" and it certainly adds to its larger appearance.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #40

Florida
I hear ya deryk.
Closed Thread