Campground Etiquette - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Camp where there is no place to charge cell phones and by the second day things get allot quieter.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Camp where there is no place to charge cell phones and by the second day things get allot quieter.
Dunno, Steve. Either they crank up a generator or turn on the vehicle and let it idle while the devices charge. No one is giving up their devices these days!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #43

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We charge our phones with our solar powered battery. In my opinion generators should be banned in all publicly owned sites.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We charge our phones with our solar powered battery. In my opinion generators should be banned in all publicly owned sites.
All well and good until you absolutely need A/C and no way you'd ever have enough solar power to run an air conditioner.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:42 PM   #45

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Easy to say in Saskatchewan. When they come up with a viable and affordable alternative to produce AC power (enough to run an air conditioner) then I'll support your "ban", but not until. Ever camp in South Texas?

Having said that, when we know we will need the air conditioning due to weather, we generally camp where there are hookups, since we don't currently own (or want) a generator.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
One can only dream and pray for such a wonderful day.
If it's so hot that we need A/C we either camp at a site with utilities or stay home..

* PS , We don't have A/C in our home , Never have , Never will.
Just a simple wood stove to take the chill off in the Winter .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #47
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
I have always hated generators so imagine my annoyance returning from a beautiful hike to find one humming along in the next site.
Skipping the story and cutting to the end of the tail, they were using it to recharge their daughters wheelchair and breathing devices so she could enjoy what we often take for granted.
Ban is sometimes a harsh word once you get to know people.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #48

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
We very seldom use a generator camping but I need a cpap machine to stay alive sleeping and need it to charge the battery after 3 nights. Very hot humid days or nights the option is sweat it out, stay comfortable because you have an AC, or go home to your AC. In another thread I mentioned how not having propane on certain campers is in my opinion a bad idea because then you have to run the refrigerator with a generator 24/7 if you don't get an electric site, which is 95% of our camping. I will stick to my nice, quiet, and cold propane fridge. No way would I run a generator around the clock at a National Forest campground, which ends up being 50% of our camping. And anyone who has a cheap noisy generator for camping? I could live with a ban on anything more than say 60 decibels. I will never forget the time one of those ran for hours and when it shut down the whole camp area clapped and cheered. I have a friend who got a "Harbor Freight special". Every time he pulls the starter his wife wants to divorce him forever from the embarrassment of being around the noisy campsite. He boasted to me the $250 price and I should get one. His wife set me straight how miserable it is.

No, I don't care to hear generators running 24/7, but I don't care to be needlessly uncomfortable either.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. There's a huge difference between a Honda 2000 or a similar small, quiet generator and a large contractor-type generator. We camped next door to a family that ran a Honda for a couple of hours each afternoon and could hardly notice it over the general background noise in the campground.

Seems like there ought to be a certification standard for what constitutes a "quiet" generator, which could then be written into campground rules.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Seems like there ought to be a certification standard for what constitutes a "quiet" generator, which could then be written into campground rules.
Really it is just common sense, but like everything else nowadays, there is little if any left to go around, as well as money, the reason these "contractor specials" show up right next to you. Hate to say write another law but in this case there may be a good case for one.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We sometimes camp at a small private campgrounds in Central Wisconsin. The campgrounds does not have electrical hookups but does allow generators . The whole campgrounds is totally run on solar . The campground rules list the hour when you can run a generator ( 10:00 AM to Noon and 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM) and the specific type of generator that can be run such as Honda and a maximum decibel level. The campgrounds owner enforces the rules . If you violate the rules you are told to shut the generator off or LEAVE. Only once have I witnessed someone being told to leave and that was because they tried to run their generator all night so they could sleep in air conditioning.
We have a portable solar panel and not once has anyone objected to the noise.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #52

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Banning is the sort of over reaction that simplifies things by removing the personal element. Avoids the "problem" of people explaining why they are running a device, or a negotiation of hours of operation. No one has to report anyone, and no one has to act on the report.

Banning always make life simpler for the people who don't want or need the thing being banned. And is always at the expense of those that do want or need the thing being banned.

Hours of generator operation and decibel limits are a good compromise. Banning across the board in "all" public campgrounds is one group getting their way at the expense of another group.

All that said it does behoove those that know they will desire AC to consider where they camp. If you desire to camp in a primitive site without power maybe do it during a time of year when AC isn't required so the other camp sites are not subjected to an all night serenade of generator rolling off of canyon walls. If you have medical needs take the time to explain what is up and how long you need the generator to run.

People to people is more work but works better in my opinion.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #53

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Destructive people - have you ever noticed how some campgrounds look like giraffes have grazed there way through the trees? All the branches are broken off to about the height of a kid on an adults shoulders from people breaking off green wood for campfires.

Throwing rocks at turtles, trying to hit frogs with sticks, pulling a birds nest out of a tree.

Dumping tanks. Amazes me that some think a large puddle of their dish washing and bath water is suitable to leave behind in a rustic park. Since it isn't really "sewage" it must be ok.

Trenching for tents is very destructive. I have seen it done fairly responsibly. Sod cut and replaced when done, but more often than not just an erosion trench left behind. There are a lot of things that in the past we could do that we can't now as too many of us are using the same areas. Going down a steep bank without following an established trail is one. In the end you have a bunch of erosion to the extent that tree roots are exposed and lose purchase.

ATV's ! On the trails designated sure, all for it. Up and down every bank along the trail and back and forth through every field is not courteous or responsible.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #54

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
With regards to gensets, I would prefer they not be used at all, but do understand in some situations their use is warranted.

That said, I completely agree with limited usage of 2 hours twice a day, which most campgrounds I have seen seem to have, but also a limit to decibel lever too. Many of the diesel powered ones on the big RVs are crazy loud, and the cheap ones many seem drawn to are unbearably loud too. i have owned a genset pretty much my entire adult life, yet have never felt the need to take it camping. If I was to camp where I need A/C, I would either go to a serviced campground, or not go. I really don't want to have to drag one along.

I think as we see solar becoming more predominant, we will see less and less generator use, at least in more northern climates. I carry a portable 80W, but have yet to need to pull it out with having 240W on the roof. We'll see when it gets cold though, and the furnace runs more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #55

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Agree. There's a huge difference between a Honda 2000 or a similar small, quiet generator and a large contractor-type generator. We camped next door to a family that ran a Honda for a couple of hours each afternoon and could hardly notice it over the general background noise in the campground.

When I run my Honda 2000, I have it in my open/no cap truck bed with the tailgate closed. The sound level is almost nil to the sides as apposed to running it on the ground unshielded.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #56

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I have wondered it the advertised level was true. I would think about using one if they really are that quiet. I have a big one that I use when power goes out in the house, and since I share with the neighbors, they don't mind the noise, since they have frig and freezers also. Plug in mine, then theirs, then mine again. If it is out longer than a day it really gets us by.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #57

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I understand the people who are in an area that is terrifically hot and needing AC. That is why campgrounds have electrical service. I understand people having bathrooms in their campers. That is why many campgrounds supply water and sewer hookups. I don't understand people using a back country, quiet campground and making noise with generators.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote