Campground Etiquette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Campground Etiquette

I found this recently on Facebook. This is important for everybodies enjoyment of the camping experience. Here's the link

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/campground-etiquette/
Old 08-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Good general advice. Kind of a shame that folks don't know most of this instinctively.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd say you're probably preaching to the choir here. But a reminder never hurts.

I was concerned when we pulled into a site at Lake Pleasant last year, encountering loud music next door and a couple of slightly "elevated" women dancing around camp with bottles of beer in one hand. But when they saw our kids, they toned it down and actually became great neighbors, even rescuing a ball our kids sent sailing into the lake. One turned out to be an old teaching colleague I hadn't seen for ten years.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'd say you're probably preaching to the choir here. But a reminder never hurts.

I was concerned when we pulled into a site at Lake Pleasant last year, encountering loud music next door and a couple of slightly "elevated" women dancing around camp with bottles of beer in one hand. But when they saw our kids, they toned it down and actually became great neighbors, even rescuing a ball our kids sent sailing into the lake. One turned out to be an old teaching colleague I hadn't seen for ten years.
I would like to think this might reach some who have never camped or heard of camp etiquette.
Most of the negatives I have experienced at one time or another. Two years ago in Death Valley during the "super bloom" I think I saw every campground etiquette rule broken at least once.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Common Sense is not all that common!

That said, I really like the different things that come up on this sight, since they also remind us to treat each other like we want to be treated.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
All the Campground Etiquette rules can be condensed down to one rule. The Golden Rule. It would go a long way toward civility in all aspects of life.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
As soon as I read the section "Night time is supposed to be dark", I knew this was article was just a pipe dream.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
As soon as I read the section "Night time is supposed to be dark", I knew this was article was just a pipe dream.
Yep. Nothing worse than people who string lights all over their trailer. Sometimes I think they have mounted Klieg lights just to annoy me. 🎬

I "like" a lot of photos of FG trailers, but I refuse to "like" any with lights lit in the picture. Just one of my quirks. ☹️
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While not pleased with some things that go against these etiquette rules, I do try to be tolerant up to a point. I don't like trailers all lit up, or the wrong genres of music too loud, but if they really do not affect my experience that much, I try to disregard them. My preference is to camp off the grid, and have had almost no issue there. Full hookup campgrounds tend to exhibit more violators of these rules it seems.

The quote in my signature can be applied here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some can affect others experience , In the news " A surge of graffiti this summer at Mesa Verde National Park is alarming officials." I guess the National park rangers didnt read your quote in signature since they are alarmed.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Some can affect others experience , In the news " A surge of graffiti this summer at Mesa Verde National Park is alarming officials." I guess the National park rangers didnt read your quote in signature since they are alarmed.
This does not apply to campground etiquette, but is instead a felonious deed. This is something that irks me too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ken, I'm pretty sure Jim meant his quote to be applied to matters of campground etiquette, which was the topic of the thread. Graffiti in a national park is not about etiquette. It's about crime. And crime is alarming. (And I see Jim has already pointed that out...)

Developed campgrounds are best for people who enjoy people. That's not to say courtesy doesn't matter, nor that one should simply accept the barking dog, the loud music, the all-night generator, the excessive lights... Especially when rules are violated, you may have to take some action, such as alerting campground hosts. But I agree with Jim it's best not to sweat small stuff.

If you prefer solitude, there are other camping options, including dispersed camping as well as planning visits during off-peak times.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #13

I dont think I've seen the post where someone abhors the neighbor that burns the campfire that smokes continually- right across your RV. (didnt see it mentioned in the 'etiquette' article either) Therefore you cant sit out, you have to close all your vents and keep the door closed. Is that proper etiquette?? Dont think so, but I see people letting it happen all the time.

Oh yeah...and the 'people walking across your campsite!'
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I dont think I've seen the post where someone abhors the neighbor that burns the campfire that smokes continually- right across your RV. (didnt see it mentioned in the 'etiquette' article either) Therefore you cant sit out, you have to close all your vents and keep the door closed. Is that proper etiquette?? Dont think so, but I see people letting it happen all the time.

Oh yeah...and the 'people walking across your campsite!'
We "store" our camper at a campground, eight-tenths of a mile from our condo. It's a nice walk, or ride with our ICE trikes. Ours is the last seasonal and then there are five daily rentals on the other, upwind, side. Twice this year weekenders have moved the fire pit from the back where everyone else's is, and where they are to stay, to between our campers. Our camper is downwind from the daily sites in the Root River Valley.

A couple of weeks ago I arrived back with our camper and there were daily neighbors sitting around the moved pit. I told them they weren't supposed to move the pit and they ignored me. I have fire tongs, walked over to their pit, and moved the lit logs back to where they belonged. They just sat with their mouths open, but he went to the manager and complained. I then took my fire mitts and moved the fire ring. He returned with the manager. Upon seeing the moved pit the manager said if he didn't like where the pit was (in back where it belonged) he could camp elsewhere.

In the morning they were gone.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
....campfire that smokes continually
Anyone building a campfire should go through training first. It is not hard to have a fire that produces no smoke. Tougher with crappy wood, but still possible. Just need to make certain it burns hot. NO PLAYING with the wood either, just add one stick at a time, at the right time which is when the last stick is burning hard.

One other advantage of a hot fire, is that the air is drawn up with the chimney effect.

Crappier wood, just split it smaller for more surface area.

Camping mostly in the boondocks we have no issues with a clean burning fire, and often have up to 20 folks around it. I have witnessed some very poor attempts at a campfire, with folks who seem to think they need to have it going all day without proper attention, resulting in lots of smoke.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #16

Now THAT'S what you call taking matters in your own hands!! It just floors me at the LACK of common sense anymore anywhere you go. It's VERY discouraging and I- in turn- frustrate my wife because she knows I cant deal with "stupidity"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We "store" our camper at a campground, eight-tenths of a mile from our condo. It's a nice walk, or ride with our ICE trikes. Ours is the last seasonal and then there are five daily rentals on the other, upwind, side. Twice this year weekenders have moved the fire pit from the back where everyone else's is, and where they are to stay, to between our campers. Our camper is downwind from the daily sites in the Root River Valley.

A couple of weeks ago I arrived back with our camper and there were daily neighbors sitting around the moved pit. I told them they weren't supposed to move the pit and they ignored me. I have fire tongs, walked over to their pit, and moved the lit logs back to where they belonged. They just sat with their mouths open, but he went to the manager and complained. I then took my fire mitts and moved the fire ring. He returned with the manager. Upon seeing the moved pit the manager said if he didn't like where the pit was (in back where it belonged) he could camp elsewhere.

In the morning they were gone.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Anyone building a campfire should go through training first.
OR- own what I have and that's the "Little Red Campfire". We just recently bought a small "percolator" to place on top of it. We tested it out on the deck the other night. It was super! That brewing smell brought back MANY memories of when I camped with my Dad/mom/siblings many years ago- ummm... Arrowhead Campground comes to mind near Six Flags Over Georgia. 1970's.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It is a reality that the campground is mixed use. The site overlooking the lake that one person reserves to enjoy the view and relax may be right next to the three sites with the same family getting together for a reunion. They are on the lake so they can keep an eye on their noisy children at the beach while they sit around and catch up with siblings.

I have to remind myself that I was once one of those noisy, rambunctious kids, fighting with siblings and cousins and consistently using my "outdoor voice" with great enjoyment. Reminding kids that riding bikes needs to stay on the road not through other campsite goes over a lot better if you don't let the initial transgression make you angry or upset. Kids enjoying the outdoors is inherently a good thing.

I want solitude I go to the woods and have few amenities, I want showers, water, electric or a location on the beach.... I can't expect solitude. Not expecting it means I don't get upset at it's lack. On the other hand if I can put up with outhouses and hand pump I guess I figure my neighbors can skip the generator and air conditioner.

Some people literally don't know how to make a good fire. And even if all 200 sites have committed mountain men on them who can start a fire in a hurricane using flint and steel anytime you have that many camp fires it is going to put some serious smoke in the air.

Dogs under control, fires in rings, hours of operation for generators, and time when noise needs to die down. Proper trash disposal Think this is on the back of every state park registration card.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
We had some very drunk tent campers have a wild party next to us many years ago. After they finally turned in very late I had a little fun with them. There were tons of raccoons in the campground so I chummed their whole site with a stale box of the kids Cheerios. I threw them all around the tents and hit the hay. They got zero sleep with the raccoons fighting over the Cheerios. Every once in a while I could here them fighting off the critters. They were very quiet the second night from the lack of sleep and hangovers. It was very enjoyable knowing I had a hand in their misery.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #20

Sometimes on this forum, there's a post that comes along and just cracks me up....this was one OF them!!

Thanks...I needed a good laugh today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
We had some very drunk tent campers have a wild party next to us many years ago. After they finally turned in very late I had a little fun with them. There were tons of raccoons in the campground so I chummed their whole site with a stale box of the kids Cheerios. I threw them all around the tents and hit the hay. They got zero sleep with the raccoons fighting over the Cheerios. Every once in a while I could here them fighting off the critters. They were very quiet the second night from the lack of sleep and hangovers. It was very enjoyable knowing I had a hand in their misery.