Campground reservations? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Suggestion about Recreation.gov

If you use recreation.gov it might be a good idea before reserving or getting discouraged because there's no site available check with owning agency. I just looked at a site in Oregon recreation.gov said no site sites met my criteria and none were available. Upon checking with the US Forest Service web sit, that campground was free and first come first serve.

Check resources before spending money.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #42

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i was at big bend last january with no reservations. had no problem finding a nice site...there were quite a few available.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #43

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Not just campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As many have suggested, IMHO anyway, "Reserve and then Cancel" is a bad idea....

As a result, those that want to make use of a facility are denied access, basically "waiting" for someone to make a decision about when and where they want to camp.

I have talked with all to many campers that routinely make overlapping reservations at 2-3 locations, often in two or three different names, and then cancel the unwanted ones at the last minute simply because the penalties are fairly low. To them it seems that their convenience trumps inconvenience to others.
There was a time before the state & county park reservation systems got wise and updated their regulations that there were people reserving multiple camping sites at Parks for holidays and weekends and reselling the sites / reservation on e bay or Craig's list for a profit . The cancellation fee was small so the risk was minimal . I saw a $20 campsite for the 4th of July weekend at Devils Lake SP going for $75 on the web
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #44

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
As many have suggested, IMHO anyway, "Reserve and then Cancel" is a bad idea....

As a result, those that want to make use of a facility are denied access, basically "waiting" for someone to make a decision about when and where they want to camp.

I have talked with all to many campers that routinely make overlapping reservations at 2-3 locations, often in two or three different names, and then cancel the unwanted ones at the last minute simply because the penalties are fairly low. To them it seems that their convenience trumps inconvenience to others.
Washington State Parks started a new cancellation policy in 2014 to separate the serious from the "just maybe" campers. The new policy has a sliding cancellation charge depending on the length of time the reservation has been held. In addition to loosing your reservation fee you loose 5 to 50 percent of your campsite cost. If you have held the reservation for 6 months and cancel you loose the res fee and 50% of your campsite cost. I was not happy with this at first, but after I thought about, I came to the conclusion that it would make it easier and more fair for all of us.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #45

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Just curious what the availability of campsites would be in central-to-north coast California, in June? Our daughter graduates college in late May, and we are considering camping up the coast and back for a week or so when we go out for that. Can we get by without reservations, or is that just silly thinking?
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #46

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Your profile doesn't indicate where you live, but you are describing about a 700 mile long section of CA. You might be a little more specific as to Cities you will be near/between. Also, do you meant "Coast" like on the ocean, or anywhere further than, say, 20 miles inland.

By May, the better campgrounds at the ocean are filling up on the weekends, but midweek is usually more flexible.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
Just curious what the availability of campsites would be in central-to-north coast California, in June? Our daughter graduates college in late May, and we are considering camping up the coast and back for a week or so when we go out for that. Can we get by without reservations, or is that just silly thinking?

If you're serious about camping along the California north coast, (north of San Fransisco) or that matter anyplace, the internet is your best friend. Look at National Forest campgrounds. Some do and some don't have reservations. I avoid any that have reservations unless there's a special reason, such as meeting my sister-in-law.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Campground reservations?

For those who travel extensively and flexibly, I can understand the objection to reservation fees. But for us working stiffs with school-age children, for whom a week's vacation is precious time planned far in advance, I gladly pay them so I can be where I want, when I want. WalMart parking lots are not an option. I do not find the fees unreasonable. I do wish the profits went back into the parks themselves, but the reality is that it is probably more cost-efficient to contract out than to develop, staff, and maintain the complex IT systems required.

I have noticed that many places only make a portion of the sites reservable, so locals and "wanderers" have access to last-minute sites. On the whole, seems like a fair way to accommodate people with differing travel needs.

Bob, I do agree that the reservation system is sometimes abused. But abuse predates reservation systems. Back when everything was first-come, first-served, people would park their trailers mid-week and leave them unattended so they would have a spot on the weekend. Human nature is what it is, and park operators will always have to monitor and respond to abuse. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

Just paid $16 to Reserve America for sites at Pismo Beach and Big Sur next month 😄.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #49

And you're not stopping at San Simeon alone the way ????

Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #50
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I agree, Sarah. At that rate, though, an annual TPWD Pass will pay for itself fairly quickly. It's $70, which is steep, but it covers the day use fee for everyone in the car. There's also some reduction in the camping fees for four nights (must be four separate camping trips). I hate that it's so expensive... but if your family camps (in TX State Parks) very much, it can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
There isn't. If you cancel more than 3 days before your reservation you are only charged a $5 fee, which is reasonable. Less than 3 days you lose your "deposit" which is typically one night's fee for the site.

That said, my biggest frustration with texas state parks is that your day use fee is NOT part of your site reservation. At some parks the daily use fees for our family are nearly double the campsite fee... it's getting unreasonable to camp in some places as a result because it can easily approach $35-40 a day for a non-electric tent site, when the site fee is only $15. IMO that is too much.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
For those who travel extensively and flexibly, I can understand the objection to reservation fees. But for us working stiffs with school-age children, for whom a week's vacation is precious time planned far in advance, I gladly pay them so I can be where I want, when I want. WalMart parking lots are not an option. I do not find the fees unreasonable. I do wish the profits went back into the parks themselves, but the reality is that it is probably more cost-efficient to contract out than to develop, staff, and maintain the complex IT systems required.

I have noticed that many places only make a portion of the sites reservable, so locals and "wanderers" have access to last-minute sites. On the whole, seems like a fair way to accommodate people with differing travel needs.

Bob, I do agree that the reservation system is sometimes abused. But abuse predates reservation systems. Back when everything was first-come, first-served, people would park their trailers mid-week and leave them unattended so they would have a spot on the weekend. Human nature is what it is, and park operators will always have to monitor and respond to abuse. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

Just paid $16 to Reserve America for sites at Pismo Beach and Big Sur next month 😄.
There's an old saying about history it's something like this those that don't look at history and change things are bound to repeat it. Campgrounds at one time were free, then fees came in, then reservations, then reservation fees, prices have gone up and up and up. By the time you retire you won't be able to afford any kind of camping. The fees will be too high. Why is that? It's because you're and others are too willing to pay them now. So tomorrow the fees will be raised but you'll pay, and pay and pay thinking you have to pay to have a vacation filled with stress because you have to save to pay so the vacation has to be great, read violated expectations here.
Now that you've reserved some spot or another, you've exempted somebody else from having the vacation you're dreaming of. Seems to me reservations are a bit selfish.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #52

Name: Jason
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
Registry
Worth it.

I just booked online yesterday on reserve America for two campsites in Cali for April 2015 and tried for a third. The online and phone reservations opened up at 8 AM so I was on right away as the clock struck 8. I started with the first state beach at South Carlsbad State Beach and it was booked fully with in a minute or two, next was Half Moon Bay CA outside of San Francisco same, sites were booking as I was clicking on them, last was Pismo State Beach and I was unable to reserve there all with in three to four minutes of bookings opening it was fully booked. I am glad I have resos for at two of them probably going to a private site for Pismo now. Travelling 7000kms round trip spending $2000 in fuel, paying a few extra bucks to know where I am spending the night is priceless.
fidgetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #53

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Now that you've reserved some spot or another, you've exempted somebody else from having the vacation you're dreaming of. Seems to me reservations are a bit selfish.

And your point is? He is not supposed to go so somebody else can?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #54

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgetboy View Post
I just booked online yesterday on reserve America for two campsites in Cali for April 2015 and tried for a third. The online and phone reservations opened up at 8 AM so I was on right away as the clock struck 8. I started with the first state beach at South Carlsbad State Beach and it was booked fully with in a minute or two, next was Half Moon Bay CA outside of San Francisco same, sites were booking as I was clicking on them, last was Pismo State Beach and I was unable to reserve there all with in three to four minutes of bookings opening it was fully booked. I am glad I have resos for at two of them probably going to a private site for Pismo now. Travelling 7000kms round trip spending $2000 in fuel, paying a few extra bucks to know where I am spending the night is priceless.
Congratulations , I hope you have a wonderful vacation.!! We recently booked the campsites for our winter trip south in Feb/ March . Now the most stressful thing I have to do for our trip is dig my trailer out of the snow and get it ready for the road . Last year it was -20 Deg F when I laid on the ground and took the trailer off its' blocks.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve, do you have snow already??

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
And you're not stopping at San Simeon alone the way ????

No one mentioned it when I asked for recommendations, but I'll definitely check it out. Never visited the Central Coast area before. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #57

NW Wisconsin
Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Steve, do you have snow already??
We have not had any snow so far this Fall but they are predicting snow for next week in our area. We have a camping trip planned to Perrot SP over MEA with our grand kids (Middle Of October) and the long term forecast is for snow in southern Wisconsin . On the bright side the cooler weather has cut way back on the bugs and the deer are starting to move. I am not a fan of HOT weather so Fall is my favorite season . Daytime highs in the 50's or low 60's and nights in the 40's
Plus soon it will be ice fishing season!!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #58

[QUOTE=Byron Kinnaman;485588] (clip)
Campgrounds at one time were free, then fees came in, then reservations, then reservation fees, prices have gone up and up and up. QUOTE]

At least in CA, state park campsites haven't been "Free" in about a millennium. I remember, in the very early 50's, when we camped at Grizzly Creek Redwood State Park every year, that those tenting campsites were $1 a night (about $9 in 2014 $$$), and RV sites didn't yet exist.

The recent big jump in campsite prices in many areas has come as a result of demands that state services, that serves specific groups, be more self-supporting.

But still, many Federal facilities are available at $10/night, (about the same as the 1950's) with 50% off for seniors, and Yellow Post campsites in National Forests are still free.

And don't even mention the prices that peeps pay to stay at many private facilities, especially near more popular venues.

Camp sites just aren't being added as the population grows. Reservation systems at least give a lot of families the ability to enjoy parts of America on their hard earned vacations, that might otherwise be extremely difficult, if not impossible to visit otherwise.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #59

San Simeon is Hurst Castle State Park and there is a State Beach with camping directly across the hiway from the entrance. Allow a full day, if not two.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #60

Arizona
Registry
Campground reservations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, Byron. Judging by looking at the campground maps, only about half of the sites are reservable, and many of the most desirable spots are off the list. They are available (without reservation fees) for folks who want to show up early in the day and wait in line hoping for a vacancy, and if not, to park on the street or a WalMart parking lot.

My reservation only prevents someone else from using one site on the nights when I will actually be there. I have never cancelled a reservation, and if I did, I would not object to paying a substantial penalty because it would a real emergency. In any case I do not see how planning my very limited travel time in advance makes me less deserving of access to the space.

As far as escalation of cost, it's really matter of supply and demand. How many new public parks have been opened in the last 20 years? They were never fully funded through user fees; they've always been subsidized by taxes. As a whole society is less willing to continue that subsidy. So costs will go up and/or access will be limited. Reservations were introduced as one way to manage that access and level the playing field. It's not a perfect system, but until we come up a better I will use it with a clear conscience.