Camping Goods / Start Up (video / Happier Camper) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Camping Goods / Start Up (video / Happier Camper)

Video now available Watch Full Episodes Online of Start Up on PBS | Camping Goods
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Great video! Incredible story!
Thanks for letting us know it's now available for viewing!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Most excellent Mike! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the video with us.

Yea PBS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #4

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Awesome! Congrats on all the success. Love the design, especially the rear hatch!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I'd like to thank the producer Gary and the crew of Start Up for what I think is a fabulous and professional job they did on the video with the limited resources they have and which I think will be much harder to come by in the next 4 years as the pbs budget will surely be slashed. I talked with Gary a couple days ago and he told me he has been approached by some of the larger network shows such as "hgtv" to move their show but told me he did not want to jeopardize the integrity of the show and working for pbs.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
I'd like to thank the producer Gary and the crew of Start Up for what I think is a fabulous and professional job they did on the video with the limited resources they have and which I think will be much harder to come by in the next 4 years as the pbs budget will surely be slashed. I talked with Gary a couple days ago and he told me he has been approached by some of the larger network shows such as "hgtv" to move their show but told me he did not want to jeopardize the integrity of the show and working for pbs.
That would be good news, if it were true, a half a billion dollars per year could certainly be better spent elsewhere(or saved against 20T in debt).

When PBS was founded, Cable TV was in its infancy. Today, even cable is becoming obsolete with the advent of streaming on multiple devices and a plethora of new communication methods.

PBS and NPR have steadily violated their mission statements to a greater degree every year... Those who support their point of view could still voluntarily provide the 20% of their budget now supplied by the taxpayers .
Realistic bottom line? They will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

HGTV is widely available and a good alternative or perhaps just use an app or one of the many streaming services for their program.
Most of the new sources are obviously starving for content anyway.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The politics of PBS and NPR or the politics of the US federal budget proposals are really not topics related to FGRV or camping and both are political in nature. So both of those need to be avoided here.

The HC1 being in a show is certainly a topic suitable for FGRV discussion! Awesome to see one of our own getting good publicity.

PBS sponsors content that may not be commercially viable and in some cases that content serves the public good. Sesame Street is the classic example. Documentaries are another area of content that may not have commercial value but does help inform the public.

There is and has always been a tendency for the more commercial companies to cherry pick the successful ventures piloted by PBS or even NPR. No surprise that this would be one, I'm sure as an "official" interview based infomercial it would be lucrative offering for a channel wishing to have sponsored content. Infortainment is big highly profitable segment of content.

I'm glad that the HC1 was featured in a show that focuses on exciting start up companies. I think that sort of programming has value, I think that value would probably be diminished if the financial backing was tied to commercial, for profit enterprise. Only a matter of time before "sponsored" products would get all the air time.

Happened in the field and stream type publications. Over time your product was covered if the writers got free ones to "examine" or "review" or a sweetheart deal on buying one was provided.

Content creation is somewhat different than the delivery options such as broadcast, cable, internet, satellite. The two are only "related" in that sometimes the same company does both, but often entities such as cable or internet are simply re-broadcasting content created by others. Changing over time but still for the most part this industry is about content that will be profitable, and profits depend on who advertises.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote