CAMPING GRILL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
What does everyone carry camping in the way of a grill to cook on? What seems to work and not take up too much space to store? I have to admit I am rather spoiled by my grill at home and am thinking about getting a smaller one like it for camping. They have a kit to attach to so you can remove the legs and just set it on a table or tailgate. I use a Traeger pellet grill. It cooks with wood pellets. You can't hardly beat cooking over wood. You can get the pellets in many different flavors too. Does anyone else on this forum use this brand? One down side is that you need electricty to operate it. They have an element that gets hot and ignites the pellets. You can cook anything with it that you can put in an oven, even a pizza. The heat from the flame is not directly under the grill. You can bbq, grill, bake & smoke with it.
If anyone is interested here is their web page to check them out.
http://www.traegerindustries.com/
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I use a Weber "go anywhere" propane grill. Propane grills make a lot of sense considering I'm already lugging 2-20lb tanks of propane around with the trailer, I use a bulk adapter hose with the grill. There's also the much nicer and pricier Weber Q series portable propane grills. I'll also cook directly over campfire grates if I happen to have a fire going.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We use the smaller Weber Q grill, because it's so easy to use - attach a propane bottle and you're ready to go. We've even stopped for lunch at a rest area and made burgers - it packs up easy and we're on the road again.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I like to do the cooking when we camp and I'm liable to take waaay too much stuff. Last summer on one trip I had a Thermos Grill, a Coleman stove, AND a portable BBQ ,AND a Coleman stove top oven, all set up as a camp kitchen. I could cook, broil, bake, boil, bbq, and burn, fri, smoke and roast all at the same time. One half of the back of the pick-up was taken up with kitchen. The rest of the space held the dining shelter, trailer awning, two outside tables, two coolers, dog kennel, extra propane tank, folding chairs and a large box of pots, pans, cutlery and dishes [separate from the inside STUFF] and tool boxes [just in case].
Don't forget the fishing poles, life jackets and tackle boxes. And a great big shoe horn to get it all into place.

Last week I traded the truck for a SUV!!! Do you think that maybe it's time I should cut back a bit??
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
I like to do the cooking when we camp and I'm liable to take waaay too much stuff. Last summer on one trip I had a Thermos Grill, a Coleman stove, AND a portable BBQ ,AND a Coleman stove top oven, all set up as a camp kitchen. I could cook, broil, bake, boil, bbq, and burn, fri, smoke and roast all at the same time. One half of the back of the pick-up was taken up with kitchen. The rest of the space held the dining shelter, trailer awning, two outside tables, two coolers, dog kennel, extra propane tank, folding chairs and a large box of pots, pans, cutlery and dishes [separate from the inside STUFF] and tool boxes [just in case].
Don't forget the fishing poles, life jackets and tackle boxes. And a great big shoe horn to get it all into place.

Last week I traded the truck for a SUV!!! Do you think that maybe it's time I should cut back a bit??
we're almost as bad,we carry a baby Q, a cobb, a Coleman grill for bacon and eggs, and a Cuisinart oven, we are trying to drop down to just the Q and oven as we also have the flat grill that fits the Q, we carry them each in their own rubber maid storage box, make them easier to pack, all this in an Odyssey van
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
we're almost as bad,we carry a baby Q, a cobb, a Coleman grill for bacon and eggs, and a Cuisinart oven, we are trying to drop down to just the Q and oven as we also have the flat grill that fits the Q, we carry them each in their own rubber maid storage box, make them easier to pack, all this in an Odyssey van

How do you like the Cobb, I have always been looking for a small self contained system and thought that this might be the one.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Headscratch, well if you like cooking over wood, you could always get a NOG tub and fashion some sort of grill over the top. When you're not grilling, you would have a wonderful fire! I have a grill out of oven. I put that over the top of the tub when heating bread, etc. it should work okay for other types of grilling...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
On a recent trip I stopped at Bass Pro Shop and happen to see a propane Coleman Road Trip Party Grill. It's quite small and a table top model. I couldn't quite figure out if or how the legs came off but I did like the size, small.

When I arrived at Quartzsite one of my neighbors had the little Party Grill. After he used it I watched as he dismantled it and thought yeap that's the one for me. You can take it all apart and store it all together with a lid that snaps on and then into a bag. It's probably 10 inches in diameter and maybe 5 inches in height and that's only because of the propane connection on the bottom. It has a piezo push buttom lighter. It's surely smaller than any other grill I've ever had with me.

I made my purchase on the way home and have used it once here at the house. I know it'll suit my needs while camping.

I forgot to mention that I can use it as an extra burner, if I choose, as well as a grill. I opted for this little grill as that's all I wanted was a small grill. I have a 2 burner Coleman stove with a griddle so I all lacked was a grill to bbq a steak on.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Like others here, I have several ways to cook/grill. I have the Cadac Safari. I like it because it is small, compact, versatile (it has at least 5 ways to cook with it). I can use small, disposble propane tanks with it or hook it up to a 5# tank I have, clean-up is quick and easy. It's all nonstick coated. I've had very good luck with it. I even rigged a way to bake with it (biscuits, cornbread, single layer cakes, etc.). In addition I have a two burner Coleman camp stove which can be used in the conventional way with pots and pans OR, I bought a separate 10" x 15" flat, two-sided, cast aluminum, grill plate which I place over both Coleman burners. It actually does an excellent job of grilling steaks, chicken, veggies, etc. It has a ribbed side and a flat side. Ribbed side for grilling & flat side for pancakes, eggs, etc. Finally, I have a Portable Fire-N-Go fireplace bowl/grill. It is a round crater-shaped bowl on folding legs, about 24" across with a screened lid and a removable grill. It can be used to burn wood for a campfire - the resulting coals are good to cook with - or, with the grill in place can be used as a charcoal BBQ. Again, portable, versatile and easy to clean up. These options give me a choice of small, medium or large cooking surfaces depending on the size of the crowd and the amount and type of food to be prepared. All three come in their own carrying bags, disassemble or fold down for storage and transport and are light-weight and easy to clean.
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hey Joy,

Thanks for the report on my grill. Bought one a few years ago and it has never been used. Just sits in the bottom of the Scamp closet. It is ballast.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Quote:
Like others here, I have several ways to cook/grill. I have the Cadac Safari. I like it because it is small, compact, versatile (it has at least 5 ways to cook with it). I can use small, disposble propane tanks with it or hook it up to a 5# tank I have, clean-up is quick and easy. It's all nonstick coated. I've had very good luck with it. I even rigged a way to bake with it (biscuits, cornbread, single layer cakes, etc.).

I was wondering about the Cadac Safari Grill. What do you think of it. How do you compare the quality of the Cadac Safari vs the Weber Q or Coleman. I like the fact that you have so many cooking options, plus it is relatively inexpensive.

Has anyone else seen the Cadac Safari in action?

My short list is: the Q1000 or Q3000, The Weber Q, or the (expensive) Coleman Sport thingy. Like everyone else, storage space is at a premium.

Thanks for starting this topic!

JMP
Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:

I was wondering about the Cadac Safari Grill. What do you think of it. How do you compare the quality of the Cadac Safari vs the Weber Q or Coleman. I like the fact that you have so many cooking options, plus it is relatively inexpensive.

Has anyone else seen the Cadac Safari in action?

My short list is: the Q1000 or Q3000, The Weber Q, or the (expensive) Coleman Sport thingy. Like everyone else, storage space is at a premium.

Thanks for starting this topic!

JMP
I haven't used the Qs or the Webers so can't comment on them. I know several folks on the forums have commented very favorably on them. However, I really like my Cadac Safari. I actually use it more now than my Coleman stove. Usually there is just the two of us and the small, round cooking area on the Cadac seems to be perfect. It gets really hot quick so I can cook fast when need be. I really like the lid which can be inverted and used as a wok. We do a lot of stir frying so the combo of quick, high heat and the lid that can be used for a wok really works for me. When you need slower, more indirect heat you can add the diffuser. Like I said - very versatile. I really like the Cadac Safari and, no, I don't have any financial interst in the company! Folks who prefer using charcoal like the other products. I mostly use propane so I lean toward that kind of grill. I think that's one big determinant of what you get. There are great products of both types but first ask yourself which fuel and style of cooking you prefer and how big a surface you need to prepare most of your meals. That will narrow down the search a little for you. I use mostly propane but I like the option of using charcoal in my portable firepit when needed. I also have a single burner propane unit that I use separately with my cast-iron-bake-oven-farkle that I rigged up so it can be cooking longer, slower, separately while I'm blazing away on the Coleman or the Cadac with the rest of the meal. As you can tell, I like to cook and don't want to skimp or deny ourselves the variety and types of foods we enjoy just because we are camping. All my cooking surfaces (except for the firepit which is separate, of course), when packaged up, will fit in one large Rubbermaid bin so good cooking doesn't have to take up a lot of room or weight.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
We replaced our large home/deck Weber with a Baby - Q. It's big enough to grill for 6-8 guests. It's sturdy, BTUs are good enough to grill quickly. We take it on every trip.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...IwAw#ps-sellers
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
A Webber Baby Q...always excellent grilling / cooking results. As others have commented it does double duty as our household grill for 4, but we have easily cooked for 8 on it. The high quality cast iron grill and body make it very durable and easy to clean.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #15

Oh, I should add you can buy a cheap flat top at COSTCO for example and use it on the grill when your menu requires it.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #16

not sure what you mean by a "flat top." Can you show me a photo? thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #17

I think Nordic Ware is the mfg. It's flat on the other side and it's cheap so good for the few times you go out camping..available at Costco for about 25.00
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0063.JPG  
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #18

Registry
That's what I was referring to in my earlier post, "I bought a separate 10" x 15" flat, two-sided, cast aluminum, grill plate which I place over both Coleman burners. It actually does an excellent job of grilling steaks, chicken, veggies, etc. It has a ribbed side and a flat side. Ribbed side for grilling & flat side for pancakes, eggs, etc." Works great. Mine is the "Nathan's Reversible Stovetop Grill & Griddle". Got it at Big Lots for $15. Turns your Coleman stove into a grill.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #19

great idea -- thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #20

15.00! ........even better White Mountain Jim!