camping season starts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Oakdale Menards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpassmore View Post
I was at a Menards here in St Paul last week. They were limiting the number who entered the store. They were requiring masks and if you didn't have one, they would sell you a mask for $1.00. They had security guards stationed at the only door that was open for entry. Very impressive operation considering that just one week before they had NO plan. Customer's were wondering around without masks, no distancing. Someone there got the message. It can be done but most businesses don't seem to care.
My last visit to Oakdale (St Paul suburb) Menards was a few days ago. They had the same setup you described with a security guard at the door. However, once I got inside I saw several customers with their masks off or down to their chin and several employees with their nose exposed. Not a place I wanted to be and I won't be going back for a long time
Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
My strong suggestion to any of you who go to campgrounds this summer: DO NOT use the public bathrooms/showers. You might be able to camp reasonably safely if you do that.

I and several old colleged buddies and their wives usually meet for a camping trip in September/October. However, even though we all have reservations, I have put that camping trip on hold. We could use the toilet and shower in our Casita, and thus not be exposed that way, but we have only used the toilet a couple times for anything more than a middle of the night tinkle. Using it always for two weeks is an unpleasant prospect...would at least have to buy one of those rolling tanks to take the black water to the dump station.

More importantly, the trip is just the opposite of social distancing. It is all about being together, cooking, eating together, drinking wine and beer together, etc. My friends are all very intelligent and thoughtful people, but getting 4 couples together for two weeks is a risk. Even if we all say we have been very careful, there is a substantial chance that one of us has made a mistake and has been exposed -- on the trip to the campground or a few days before.

With all of us being in the high-risk group (all well over 65, and a few medical issues as to be expected), the chance of not surviving if infected with COVID19 is around 10%, higher for males, and higher with any other health issues.

So I strongly suggest that you consider those odds if you plan to camp this summer.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Who knows what to do. At first it was no masks are necessary. Then masks only protect others. Then masks only protect you. Several sources say that they don’t work. My industrial experience tells me that most are not worn correctly and may be worse than useless. We wear them in the grocery store but a lot of others don’t.

You can go to Walmart and Lowe’s where 500 people mill about but the mom and pops where 3 or 4 customers would be are closed. Essential business is who has the most political power.

We are attending the Hiawassee rally. We will use our own toilet and shower and not invite anyone inside. We are already washing hands and using sanitiser.

At least one study found the virus lifespan is much shorter in the sunshine. This suggests you are safer outside.

One of our employees tested positive early on. The others who worked closely with him and used the same computer and phones were quarantined for 14 days. None of them were infected. Most “experts” agree that exposure has to be more than a few minutes unless someone coughs or sneezes on you.

I suggest we all use reasonable precautions and not succumb to fear.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #24

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Thanks all for the thoughts. I agree with Carlsara. Obviously, I'm going for a weekend outing here in the great state of Ohio. Sorry things aren't going well in Canada. When the travel ban gets lifted, and your ready, come on down to visit.

I wish everyone well and fully support your decisions to not camp right now. My only thought to offer is that it's mid May and September plans are being scuttled. I'd think that decision could be put off until Aug, especially if the alternative is to stay home. If the second wave is manageable then maybe camping is possible. If it's a nightmare then continue to stay home. I hope you all get out as soon as you can.

Again, I'll let you know how the weekend goes. I'd love to hear how the trip out west for rpassmore progresses. Drop us a line along the way, or when you are home.

I'll try not to embarrass myself. I can't control much else. BTW I do believe my actions effect others, and I care. I just want to go camping and now I'm aloud.

Stay safe.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #25

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
I’m full time in my Casita. Was stuck in CA in my cousin’s driveway for 7 weeks waiting to see what would happen. Didn’t seem like parks there were opening up so decided to head back to Mass where I have more friend with driveways. In Nevada and Utah, seems to be opening up. Free camped a couple times at natl forests. Some folks wear masks and some don’t. Even store employees wearing masks don’t seem to know what 6’ apart means. I’m doing what I can to stay safe. If someone complains about my wearing a mask, I plan to tell them it’s to protect others. “ I’d hate to think I made someone sick.” All the gas stations and stores that are open have bathrooms open tho I use the Casta’s bathroom. Seeing a fair number of RVs, boats and jet skis on the highway. I plan NOT to be in a park over Memorial Day — likely many parks will be crowded.
Agree that remote areas don’t have facilities for RVers who get sick. Also rangers will be at risk if RVers need transport to healthcare from a Park. Let’s be thoughtful. At the same time, I’m really social distanced driving alone in my car, staying alone in my camper, esp dispersed camping. Don’t even need to go inside a store to get gas, just once a week for groceries.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #26

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I've already been out for one tent camping weekend and one trailer camping weekend. It was dispersed camping. Tent camping we were the only ones within miles. Trailer camping, no campsite was closer than 50 yards. For adults, it would have been a win. But there were a lot of kids. Because of the kids and the fact that people are understandably but mistakenly being pretty lax, due to the minuscule number of cases around here, the kids from different camps were getting together. Then going back to their parents. So not exactly a social distancing win...

My take is that it's time to move on from "abstinence only". It's been long enough now that more and more people will ignore the guidelines as summer sets in. So knowing that people (or whole states and their governments) will be ignoring guidelines, give them the info they need to be as safe as possible as people start interacting again.

In MT, it's only the federal campgrounds that are still closed. Everything else is open, except for the bathrooms.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #27

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Who knows what to do. At first it was no masks are necessary. Then masks only protect others. Then masks only protect you. Several sources say that they don’t work. My industrial experience tells me that most are not worn correctly and may be worse than useless. We wear them in the grocery store but a lot of others don’t.

You can go to Walmart and Lowe’s where 500 people mill about but the mom and pops where 3 or 4 customers would be are closed. Essential business is who has the most political power.

We are attending the Hiawassee rally. We will use our own toilet and shower and not invite anyone inside. We are already washing hands and using sanitiser.

At least one study found the virus lifespan is much shorter in the sunshine. This suggests you are safer outside.

One of our employees tested positive early on. The others who worked closely with him and used the same computer and phones were quarantined for 14 days. None of them were infected. Most “experts” agree that exposure has to be more than a few minutes unless someone coughs or sneezes on you.

I suggest we all use reasonable precautions and not succumb to fear.
Nobody can disagree with anyone making their own decisions about dealing with the virus -- as long as it affects only that person, and does not affect others. Some may wish to just take their chances, even if it might result in their death of the death of someone they care about. Others may wish to take no chances, but to do so must give up a lot of pleasures. However, when a lot of people take their chances taking only what they vaguely think are reasonable precautions, the numbers of people being infected (and thus affected) almost surely will increase.

However, what must be disagreed with is when someone offers incomplete or misleading information. Sunshine theoretically should reduce the live of the virus in the air or on surfaces, but the empirical facts are that sunny, warm Florida has fared no better than many states that were cold and sunless most of the time, so being sunny is not something that should be used to minimize the situation.

More importantly, that there has to be a substantial time of exposure in order to be infected is not accurate, so I (as a scientist) want to try to explain it in terms that are understandable by other trailer campers.

Here is how to think of it. You are driving down the highway toward the campground. It now is late spring and a lot of big bugs (the virus) are starting to show up. The chance of one of those big bugs splattering on your windshield is low but possible. However, if you are only driving half an hour to your camp site, you probably will not have a bug splatter on your windshield. However, if you have to drive 8 hours to your camp ground, it is much more likely that you will have a big splash of bug juice on your windshield. Thus, yes, it is very unlikely to "get the bug" if the time is very short.

However, if you are driving down the highway and you encounter a big swarm of the bugs over the highway, one is going to hit your windshield even if you are exposed to the bugs for less than a second.

The former case (0.5 hr and 8.0 hr) is comparable to walking around the roads along the camp ground when there is at least one person in the campground actively transmitting the virus in every breath, cough, and sneeze. You are unlikely to encounter any of that person’s air-born virus particles unless maybe you keep walking near the infected person all day.

The latter case is walking around the campsite and the infected person is walking in front of you along the same road or trail, maybe even a little more than 6 ft ahead of you. If the infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, or even talks loud, he/she will release a big swarm of bugs that you will walk through. The fact that that person was only in front of you for a few seconds will not change your high chance of being infected. So, just because you were not exposed for a long time does not save you from the bugs.

I hope this helps,
Old 05-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #28

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Ditto in Tempe, Phoenix area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Arizona is pretty open right now, except dine-in service remains limited. I drive pretty widely for work, and grocery stores, Walmarts, gas, and fast food (still mostly drive-through or mobile ordering with curbside pickup) are open for travelers. Restrooms are open at gas stations and places like Walmart. I see an increasing number of recreational travelers out and about. Our mountain town is packed with summer visitors.

Biggest problem is as Thrifty Bill says- mask and distancing guidelines are being widely ignored. If you feel you need to protect yourself, the burden is on you. My wife has even felt some shaming in public for wearing a mask.

COVID is currently spreading fastest in small rural communities.
Good report, Jon

It's the same around Phoenix. Places are open, including restaurants.

There is boondocking around Lake Pleasant and more if you look. Some campgrounds appear to have space. Facilities are limited.

Social distancing isn't happening much here. We wear masks and get scoffed at in some places. About 10% to 30% wear masks at decent grocery stores, Target, Home Depot. Whole Foods had 90% of customers and 100% of staff wore masks.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #29

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
We've been preparing for our cross country road trip the last two weeks. We leave Tuesday morning. This will be our first trip in our Scamp. Received our 3" latex mattress topper today, already cut it to shape and got it installed. That was the last piece of the puzzle, otherwise our entire pre-check/outfitting list is complete. We're heading to Seattle from St Paul, going west on I94. We booked KOAs before things started opening because we wanted to be sure of a place to stop each night. We'll be heading back east in two weeks on I90. Montana state parks appear to be open, we've got a reservation at Beavertail Hill state park. Wyoming was still residents only as of last night so we'll do another KOA there near Sheridan. Badlands is partially shut down but we've got reservations at Cedar Pass campground. We'll take all sort of precautions en route, but I'm glad things are loosening up a little. I was feeling a bit nervous heading west with Minnesota plates.
Greetings,

Why would you be concerned having Minnesota plates, pray tell? I'm heading up North and was thinking about taking the Puck up with me for the summer.

Here in Arizona, I've seen people from all over the country.

I hope you're keeping a blog? Your trip sounds wonderful! I love the Badlands!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #30

Minnesota & Arizona
Intelligent suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
I too have a burning desire to get out my fly rod, in my “Cabinette” and head out of town, but it ain’t gonna happen right now or possibly this year..

I live in British Columbia and while the vast majority of our Provincial Park campgrounds will be opening at the beginning of June our responsible Provincial gov’t is telling us to go camping AND to do our camping close to where we live.. We are being told this because the more distance we travel the more the possibility of spreading COVID-19 to non-Covid impacted communities increases.. In addition, a large portion of our campgrounds are not close to the bigger cities with their large hospitals and huge grocery stores.. In addition, should some out-of-towner leave the Covid bug in a small town it could be disastrous.. And then there is the issue of toilet paper and food.. Small towns are impacted by supply chain irregularities as well and to have additional folks come to their communities and purchase food and goods all it does is exacerbate their already bleak situation.. Lest we forget that restaurants and washrooms aren’t available enroute..

Ask yourself this question.. Would I want folks coming into my town that are possibly going to purchase the limited items on our store shelves, and leave the proverbial “Gift that keeps on giving” ??

My answer is a definite NO..

I am also assuming that, like me, the majority of folks that are in the RV’ing community are also of the vintage most susceptible to Covid-19.. I wouldn’t walk into a burning building when I was younger, so why would I start now??

Keep yourself and your FiberglassRv close to where you live this year.. Don’t go out and give RV’ers a bad reputation.. Stay where your infrastructure is in place to support you..

Please stay close to home if for no other reason than to respect the wishes of the folks that live in the small communities..

ps.. Yup, I live in a relatively Big town ��

Hi, Chris

I think your government is giving very good advice.

I've read this Covid-19 will last three years with the virus mutations. Traveling, unless one has had the virus, should really be limited, based on exactly the reasons you stated.

With the mutations, even if you had the virus, are you safe?

I think we should organize The Great FBRV Virtual Rally? Camper tours, classes, Dutch Oven cooking, battery & solar set workshops coukd be on the agenda? We could even show our favorite local campgrounds and sites?
Old 05-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistChic View Post
I think we should organize The Great FBRV Virtual Rally? Camper tours, classes, Dutch Oven cooking, battery & solar set workshops coukd be on the agenda? We could even show our favorite local campgrounds and sites?

Isn't that what we have here on the forum?
Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #32

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Quote:
Greetings,

Why would you be concerned having Minnesota plates, pray tell? I'm heading up North and was thinking about taking the Puck up with me for the summer.

Here in Arizona, I've seen people from all over the country.

I hope you're keeping a blog? Your trip sounds wonderful! I love the Badlands!
Minnesota plates - Just the idea that we’re heading away from MN and some parts of the country might not want visitors just yet.
St Paul, MN
Old 05-18-2020, 07:59 PM   #33

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Francesca, I hope your hubby heels up quick so you can take him out in the woods soon.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #34

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Francesca, I hope your hubby heels up quick so you can take him out in the woods soon.
Thanks Tony, me too. He's a tough old bird and he's going to be fine but his lil problem is sure cramping our camping this year.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #35

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Quote:
....Social distancing isn't happening much here. We wear masks and get scoffed at in some places. About 10% to 30% wear masks at decent grocery stores, Target, Home Depot. Whole Foods had 90% of customers and 100% of staff wore masks.
There will be postmortems about this where certain socioeconomic groups behave differently from one another. To me it isn't surprising that Whole Foods folk would be 90%. The only reason Costco is 100% is that you have to for entry.

The fraying of compliance coupled with valid information challenging the current status quo is increasing. Newsome in California today has released 53 of 58 counties from lockdown. The narrative is changing from you're selfish by not staying home to you are if you don't respect others' right to liberty in absence of a clear reason to continue the lockdown- and to a growing populace the reasons are no longer as clear as was the case a month or two ago.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
From what I've seen in the news, it sounds like many folks are concluding that renting or buying an RV will be the way to vacation this year. I expect that will make obtaining campsite reservations even more competitive than usual. It will also bring in many more people who aren't accustomed to RVing, and perhaps people who aren't even accustomed to camping.

Personally, we've been focused on finding different approaches for our recreation this year such as enjoying day trips in our area, riding our bikes, and generally finding other things to do locally. We are fortunate in having a lot of nice places to go that are just a short drive from home.

Ironically, these are all things I've been talking about doing more of as I've closed in on retirement. So, it looks like we're getting an opportunity to follow through on that thinking.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #37

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
We wear our masks whenever we go off into any public places and we keep our distance everywhere. Why take a chance? Life is too short. When our parks get opened, when a confirmed cure is found, we will fly. Was it Lincoln who said, "You can't fool all of the people all of the time, but you can try..."? Maybe it was some other guy. Same goes these days for wearing masks, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
CedrWax2.jpg  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #38

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Ironically, these are all things I've been talking about doing more of as I've closed in on retirement. So, it looks like we're getting an opportunity to follow through on that thinking.
Holy new avatar! And I see you've called yourself out on it.

Yes. I drive far too much. I mostly camp in my own state anyway, other than my spring desert trip, so I'll be sticking with that. But the day-to-day driving has gotten old for me. It's really, really nice to just not even start the truck for a couple days at a time. Work from home, ride my bike to the grocery store, walk the dog around town instead of out on the trails.

Really pretty nice.

With all the driving I currently do, what really sounds ideal to me now is life in a town that has easy access (walking or biking) to what I need. Groceries, friends, trails. I know a few towns like that. Keep my life "small", generally, then do a road trip with or without the camper at most once a month, and do my best to let my truck sit for a whole week as often as possible. Of course then the job really matters, too. Easy to have an office within walking distance, but if work itself requires a lot of driving...that's a tough one.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #39

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
We went camping this past Thursday - Sunday at a nearby state park. We didn't see any problems and didn't feel unsafe.

Oklahoma state park have and will continue to remain open. Camping is a great way to "social distance". Being introverts, our actions haven't really changed.

We're those people that don't wear masks or gloves, etc unless asked to (which has not happened). However, I would point out that if a business required it, I would either comply or go elsewhere. Being an emergency manager, I've listened/read/watched a lot of information on this virus. Some information even being contradictory.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
I was feeling a bit nervous heading west with Minnesota plates.
I guess you are on the road already, but I just got back from Utah and nobody batted an eye at my Minnesota plates.
Closed Thread