camping season starts - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #41

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
A Client of mine went to their Summer house in Maine from Florida last week weeks ahead of the scheduled time and they are required to Quarantine in the house for 14 days before going anywhere.

Evidently they are being checked on/watched too by local health dept officials but there house is 3 doors away from the health dept office in a tiny tourist summer town in Maine too.

So they have been to the Walmart an hour away to stock up on supplies and are planning on staying in for the rest of the time mandated.

If I were to go there and do some work for them I would need to lay low for 2 weeks before venturing out as well.

The kicker is that I bet in 2 weeks they open the place up again anyway and pretend all is back to normal again?
Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #42

Name: Rich
Trailer: Scamp
United States
Registry
We made it to Bismarck, day 1 of a 4 day trip out to Seattle. We’re at the KOA. Check in was unattended, management left an envelope with my name at the office. Campground is about 20% occupied. No one is outside (except us) despite the beautiful evening. We ate lunch inside our Scamp during a fuel stop in Fargo. Gas station had bottle of hand sanitizer at each pump. Stopped at a rest area, some folks wearing masks, some not. We did, but no dirty looks. Got take out pizza for dinner. Not many masks on display in downtown Bismarck but again, no dirty looks regarding ours.
St Paul, MN
Old 05-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Yellowstone opened May 18th, Monday this week. To read The Guardian's article, Yellowstone's opening posed some situations that we wouldn't be comfortable with.
Quote:
“We checked the webcam at Old Faithful at about 3.30pm yesterday,” said Kristin Brengel, the senior vice-president of government affairs at the National Parks Conservation Association. “Not much physical distancing happening and not a single mask in sight.”

“I think we’re the only car from Teton county,” said Mark Segal, a Wyoming local, noting the prominence of out-of-state license plates in Yellowstone on Monday.

At the Moran entrance station in Wyoming – the entrance to both Grand Teton and Yellowstone park – cars began to line up at 5.30am. By 11am, an hour before opening, vehicles with license plates from as far away as New York, Washington State and Alaska sprawled along the highway leading to the park entrance. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...teton-covid-19
The Park Superintendent Cam Sholly was critical of the Guardian coverage.
Quote:
“That’s total bull,” Sholly said. “I didn’t see massive numbers of people in close proximity.” https://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...5a19eba62.html
We have reservations for seven nights in late September at Tuolumne Meadows in the high country of Yosemite. Yosemite is another popular park that's typically sold out through the summer season. We have serious concerns about actually going, so will be looking to see what we can learn over the next few months.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #44

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I got the surprising news that campgrounds in the Virginia State Parks opened today, and even more surprising even the bathrooms will be open.

Walt
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #45

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
98-99% recovery rate and the seasonal flu does not have these good results. WA Governor thinks walmart isles are safer than me kayaking on a lake. WA camping closed!! Will WA governor require face masks when I am kayaking??
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #46

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Can't help wondering why, everywhere, we see all these widely differing interpretations and rules for what to do and how to protect us and all citizens from the presence of ...a proven deadly-dangerous enemy. Why are they so contradictory and disjointed?
Attached Thumbnails
Alfred3.jpg  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #47

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
.........Was it Lincoln who said, "You can't fool all of the people all of the time, but you can try..."? Maybe it was some other guy. Same goes these days for wearing masks, I guess.

Apparently it was Banksy: You can't fool all of the people all of the time but you can try. It's called advertising.

I haven't' gotten any dirty looks when wearing a mask to the store, so I don't know how I would react. Maybe I haven't gotten dirty looks because I'm a big guy, or maybe people around here just are more polite. I actually can't imagine people being so disgusting or disrespectful to strangers, but then maybe I'm naive, because I'm always shocked at bad mannered people.

--Harold
Old 05-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #48

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Speaking yesterday with guardians of store entrances stopping people not wearing masks because it was store policy - they told me of enduring a torrent of serious verbal abuse from more people than they could count.

(Not appropriate to repeat on a family forum like this one.)

I think even if we got a clear message of warning about this thing that was solidly across-the-board consistent, logical, and firm from leadership, there will always be objections and complaints. The obtuse dude will abide.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a bunch of masks that I carry in my truck and when going into any place open to the public I wear one .
At my age I don’t care what people think and in truth the mask actually improves my appearance.
I went to the store at 6:00 AM this morning and wore my mask . My glasses fogged up so I lowered my mask and naturally a young store clerk spotted me.
She gave me the LOOK and being married , I got the message and pulled my mask back up
People working in stores are usually poorly paid and don’t set store policy so taking ones personal frustrations out on them is totally out of line IMHO !
The way I look at it is if you don’t like a stores rules / policies then don’t go there
Right now if I was a betting man , my money would be on my trailer never leaving my pole barn this year.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #50

Name: Craig
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Tucson's Finest in Blue - Without Masks and Within Two Feet

AZ is still the wild west, and no more so than in Tucson, where you still occasionally see javalina or coyote running through midtown. Many of the folk in this town also have a cavalier, "let it come and get me," wild west attitude. Many thumb their noses at the ongoing pandemic.

Last week I was in a Quik Trip to buy a cone to battle the 100+ F temps that had raged for several days. I was waiting for my treat when a Tucson police officer approached me and reached inside the cooler I was near to grab an energy drink. Although I was wearing latex gloves and a cloth mask, she and her partner wore zero pandemic gear. I had had enough with the morons that refuse to abide by the the common courtesy of wearing a mask and in a public place and in an abrupt and unfriendly voice asked "Where's your mask?" She looked up with a half grin and said "I...don't...have one."
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #51

SW Virginia
I hope you (we) are wrong. I'd hate to lose so many of our friends on the forum.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #52

Name: Tony
Ohio
Steve, what type of camper did you get, or is it.l a boat trailer in your barn? Sorry, I’m just being nosy.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Right now if I was a betting man , my money would be on my trailer never leaving my pole barn this year.
I hear you; I think there's a chance that's how we might treat this year. We have been looking at this from various angles. In the end, I guess that my primary concern is ultimately not the conditions out there, but how my fellow travelers are behaving under these conditions.

Maybe we should just tape pictures of some gorgeous setting outside the trailer windows like I see in the RV advertisements - ?
Attached Thumbnails
TAB Brochure excerpt.jpg  
Old 05-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #54

SW Virginia
Well, next week will be an interesting experiment. The campground at Hiawassee is a full hookup site and the bathrooms will be closed. Although I usually avoid using the black water tank in my trailer, I have often done so and don't mind too much when I have a sewer hookup and don't have to deal with a crowded dump site. And then of course there's boondocking when there's no choice.
Anyway, I'll see how well we'll behave next week and report back how it goes. I have lots of masks, gloves, and sanitizing gel.

Walt
Old 05-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #55

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Steve, what type of camper did you get, or is it.l a boat trailer in your barn? Sorry, I’m just being nosy.
We have a 20 ft Palm Beach pontoon boat / trailer and a 21 ft travel trailer , both of which are parked in our pole barn.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #56

Name: Tony
Ohio
Have a good time Walt.

I’m camping in southwest Ohio as I type. Just had dinner, And a shower. It is raining now so we are sitting in the Scamp with our bedding in the front seat of the Subaru. I was victorious in a game of Five Crowns. The state park is more than half full. We did a hike and saw a few other hikers. Not many masks to speak of, especially on the hike. A few in the shower hours. Many kids doing their thing. We’ve been doing ours. I’m comfortable.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:13 AM   #57

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I would rather miss out on camping for a while than not be around for any more camping seasons. I am an at risk senior. Politics has nothing to do with the fact that I have mild chronic bronchitis that flares out of control when I catch a respiratory virus.
Closed Thread