Camping with Spring Breakers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Camping with Spring Breakers

With the great weather we'd been having here in northeastern NC recently, we decided to spend a few days in Great Smoky Mountain NP last week. This early in the season and going mid-week, I figured getting a site at any of the NP campgrounds would be a breeze - WRONG, forgot about Spring Break for the college kids.

We arrived at Smokemont around four, drove through and the place was packed. Fortunately, the lady working the desk said she was just getting ready to open another loop and to follow her while she did so. Got a great site

After setting up, we kicked back and watched the rest of the sites in the loop fill; almost all of them with college kids. For those who've never experienced this, I highly recommend it. It was obviously the first time camping for many of them. Beside us were six guys from Michigan with a huge old Kelty tent they'd borrowed. Unfortunately, the shock cords had deteriorated and no longer connected the various poles. I think they had at least a half dozen sections left over but it did sort of look like a tent when they finished. On the other side, four Ga Tech students strung hammocks, one over the other, between two big fir trees. The top one must have been at least ten feet above the ground. The group behind us had purchased a cheap WalMart tent that was missing stakes and guy lines. Twenty five students from Tn were with their instructor for a camping class offered by the school (don't recall that being an option when I was in college). Several just had a sleeping bag and pad laid out on the open ground.

We provided duct tape, stakes, line, matches, charcoal and limited advice to many, shared our dutch oven peach cobbler and met almost all the kids in our loop. Just watching their unbridled enthusiasm and fun made us feel forty years younger by the time we left. I can also say they were, without a single exception, polite, respectful and courteous. There was very little alcohol displayed and no one got out of hand. I'd guess most of them came over to say goodbye as we were packing up to leave. Maybe the future of our Country won't be in such bad hands after all.

The next time you're out, find a group of young campers and watch them for a few minutes. Chances are they won't have all the toys we do but, if they're anything like those we camped with last week, I'll bet you'll envy the experience they're having and recall similar times when you first started.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
That is a really cool story, thanks for sharing
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Here Here! That is awesome! We are planning to camp at Smokemont this year, so looking forward to there once I get our Boler completely finished...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Kentucky
Great story

What a refreshing story. I was expecting to read the horrors of a ruined camping trip due to the drunken antics of crazed college kids. Maybe the rowdies chose the mexican beaches instead of the mountains. Just goes to show you meet the nicest people camping.
Danny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Thanks for posting. Great story.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
We got the grand son from Wichita ka, went to Grand Caynon, the kids (young adults) were great
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Wow. That is such a super refreshing story! Thank you for posting it! Like Danny1953, as I read the first lines, I was expecting loud out of hand drunks, but your experience is too awesome for words! Love it! Sounds like you had a blast. I hope the rest of your season is even better.
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Al & Cindy
Truly a great story and way to represent! And from all the Moms and Dads out there thanks for adopting our kids for a weekend. Even the smallest acts of kindness can have lifelong impact.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Cindy and Al----I agree with you 100%.

Our encounters with spring-breakers were of polite, respectful kids enjoying themselves without disturbing their neigbours. And we were sad to see them leave.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B (previous 16' Scamp)
Washington (dry side)
Kids making great memories

I'm sure those kids were making lifetime memories too. I know some of my first college camping trips made those around us laugh and shake their heads. Messed up equipment, food and menu disasters and things forgotten at home. Experienced campers probably saw disasters but it never seemed that way to us - just fun and figuring things out.
Jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #11

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
For sure a fun story & thx for the share.

And now for a moment of silence from the Oregon Coast. . .
waiting... waiting...

NOPE, none to be had. It is crazy as all with the spring break in full session this week and the following two weeks! There is an overlap for Oregon/Washington that totals 3 weeks. And since we live in our little soggy paradise next to Astoria/Seaside/Cannon Beach, it is near bumper-to-bumper traffic. And if you haven't made reservations many months in advance there's no place to pitch camp.

signed, still smiling cuz my commute skirts all the traffic : ) except the four footed kind.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Great story! It brought back memories of our first camping trip to Yosemite NP in our 20's. "Uncle Tony" offered his "camp stove", which turned out to be a 6-burner monster with a full-size 60 pound tank of gas! We slept in a tube tent. Remember those orange plasic tubes that you hung from rope tied to two trees? The bears kept us awake when they nosed and snorted right next to our tent at night. Amazingly, we developed a love for camping a backpacking and have never stopped since then!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #13

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
We just experienced the same thing in Texas. My wife and I went to Garner State park and it was full of spring breakers.
It took a while for the kids next door to put up their tent. They didn't have a camp stove and had brought a 120 volt single burner hot plate to cook. Needless to say it didn't work. We helped them out with our stove. They also couldn't start their campfire, so I thought them how to light one. The park has mini golf, a basketball court, an airstream that sells food, paddle boats and canoe rental, and there was a dance every night a the park pavilion.
It was really a lot of fun watching the college kids camp. We helped some of them out. We also played mini gold and even went to the dance.
What we see on television is only a small portion of the real youth. I remember my grand parents saying the future was bleak when we were young and we turned out ok.
Happy Camping,
Marky

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote